Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Wool Clothing [Re: bender797] #6148911
02/05/18 02:04 PM
02/05/18 02:04 PM
Northern MN
G
GoneTrappin Offline
trapper
GoneTrappin  Offline
trapper
G

Northern MN
100% Merino wool baselayer, no itch. The rest I mix and match cotton canvas and wool. Ive had a couple fancy synthetic outerwear before, but always end up going back to wool. It’s simple, proven, and it just plain works.

Re: Wool Clothing [Re: bender797] #6148917
02/05/18 02:09 PM
02/05/18 02:09 PM
Alberta, Canada
T
The Spruce Offline
trapper
The Spruce  Offline
trapper
T

Alberta, Canada
I love wool, but use a wind proof outer layer. Wool just doesn't knock down the wind enough.
Layered : Marino wool base layer, cotton shirt (s), wool sweater, Wind proof outer layer (when cold -25 or cooler).
If I routinely saw the temps the interior Alaska guys see, I would wear a lot more fur than just a hat. Fur is like a wind breaker and wool all in one.

Spruce

Re: Wool Clothing [Re: bender797] #6152426
02/09/18 08:48 AM
02/09/18 08:48 AM
South Central PA
oneoldboot Offline
trapper
oneoldboot  Offline
trapper

South Central PA
Anyone use alpaca? I bought a pair of sox to try. From my understanding they are warmer than wool.

Re: Wool Clothing [Re: bender797] #6152613
02/09/18 12:27 PM
02/09/18 12:27 PM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
I use to wear a lot of flannel shirts but with the new miosture wicking underlayers I noticed they were always damp sometimes real damp at the end of a day. I tried a wool shirt in place of the flannel and never went back when it is under 10 degrees or I am going to be out longand traveling a long distance. I have used wool pants for over 30 yrs I seldom use them as an outer layer prefering to have a goretex coverall of one kind or another over them

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Wool Clothing [Re: bender797] #6152987
02/09/18 08:52 PM
02/09/18 08:52 PM
Wilmington, NC
Tim H. Offline
trapper
Tim H.  Offline
trapper

Wilmington, NC
Originally Posted By: PAlltheway
Originally Posted By: Tim H.

The main advantage of wool is it keeps you warm when wet, right? Wouldn't a cotton lining defeat the purpose?

He is in North Carolina. It doesn't get cold there. Not really.

Hahaha, ok, I confess, the coldest weather I've ever been in was -6. But it was an honest question.

"The man who goes to sea for pleasure would go to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) to pass the time!"
Re: Wool Clothing [Re: oneoldboot] #6152993
02/09/18 08:54 PM
02/09/18 08:54 PM
Wilmington, NC
Tim H. Offline
trapper
Tim H.  Offline
trapper

Wilmington, NC
Originally Posted By: oneoldboot
Anyone use alpaca? I bought a pair of sox to try. From my understanding they are warmer than wool.

My friend raises alpacas and gave me a pair of socks to try. Seemed about the same as high quality wool. They are nice if you're allergic to wool though.

"The man who goes to sea for pleasure would go to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) to pass the time!"
Re: Wool Clothing [Re: bender797] #6153178
02/10/18 12:16 AM
02/10/18 12:16 AM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
Wool clothing equals wet and ultimately cold. Fur and synthetics are superior for warmth to weight and performance.

Re: Wool Clothing [Re: mad_mike] #6153916
02/10/18 08:26 PM
02/10/18 08:26 PM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: mad_mike
Wool clothing equals wet and ultimately cold. Fur and synthetics are superior for warmth to weight and performance.

You and others have different performances. Like a lot of guys, I hunt in my outdoor clothes, and they cannot make noise, or make any unnatural noise. Almost every synthetic I have worn or seen makes that magic loud "ziiipppp" sound in the woods when it encounters a twig, which is like waving a big flag and blowing an air horn to let the wildlife know you are there. Synthetic Berber fleece is nice, when it is dry out, not windy, and when you do not go near a fire. Any spark or ember from an open fire will melt a hole in synthetics, if not light them on fire. That is not superior performance, it is inferior. It can work within certain circumstances. Like, if all you do is trap, and silence in the woods is not important, or if the circumstances you hunt in allow greater noise than our eastern landscape permits (for the hunter to be successful), then synthetic can work. Due to my experiences, synthetics have all but fallen by the wayside. Wool has never gotten me wet, though I have been rained on in mid-October wilderness hunts and the Filson wool coat gains about an extra pound in weight.

Last edited by PAlltheway; 02/11/18 12:19 AM.
Re: Wool Clothing [Re: mad_mike] #6153980
02/10/18 09:22 PM
02/10/18 09:22 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

Orergon
Originally Posted By: mad_mike

This. And I am pretty sure I have tried most of the gear out there that is less than $500.00 per garment.
Pennsylvania certainly doesn't have the weather extremes we have here, and while the interior gets much colder than southeast Alaska, I can assure you that the weather conditions here will challenge the very best clothing.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Wool Clothing [Re: bender797] #6154015
02/10/18 09:57 PM
02/10/18 09:57 PM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

PA, This topic is a trapline question, not hunting.
When you are out on the line hours from any protection and the weather changes you better be prepared for the worse case. Every trapper I know will trap to at last to 20 below or colder. Dependable warm, dry clothes is essential. Fur hats and gloves go along also.
Synthetic long johns, parka, overalls and gloves, will keep you warm, it wicks the moisture your body creates and you stay dry! Being wet is the killer. It drains the warmth from your core and problems start.
Wool, cotton and down do not wick. If you want to find out take those items off mid day at 20 below after running hard and see what happens.
A person I know was running the Yukon Quest in wool pants and frost bit his .....! He never wore wool again.
After living and trapping in Alaskas interior for over 47 years I have tried every type of clothing and I am glad to report that I put my life on Synthetic any day!
JMO

AV didn't mean to duplicate what you said I just took too long to write my answer!

Last edited by Oh Snap; 02/10/18 10:00 PM.
Re: Wool Clothing [Re: bender797] #6154210
02/11/18 12:15 AM
02/11/18 12:15 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I worked outside all my life at extreme cold temps.When you work hard you sweat-no two ways about it.The secret is layers of clothing,not the type of material.Take off the outer layers when you are ramped up working hard.On the railroad we used open motor cars even in winter and after spending several hours working flat out shimming track we had to ride back to headquarters for an hour or more and perhaps wait for a train for another hour.When finishing up a big job,one guy would go into the bush and make a fire.That is the other secret.Warm up and dry off a bit,while you make a tea and toast a frozen sandwich before layering up again for the long cold ride.
People get in trouble when they get in a bind,and try to make it to shelter or a camp as soon as they can.Best to take the time to prepare for the trip back even if it means an overnight stay,and instead of running around like a chicken with its head off make some preparations like a warm up fire to dry off the sweat, a bite to eat and a warm drink,think things over while you dry off and then start the trek.

Last edited by Boco; 02/11/18 12:16 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Wool Clothing [Re: ] #6154211
02/11/18 12:16 AM
02/11/18 12:16 AM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Oh Snap
PA, This topic is a trapline question, not hunting.
When you are out on the line hours from any protection and the weather changes you better be prepared for the worse case. Every trapper I know will trap to at last to 20 below or colder. Dependable warm, dry clothes is essential. Fur hats and gloves go along also.
Synthetic long johns, parka, overalls and gloves, will keep you warm, it wicks the moisture your body creates and you stay dry! Being wet is the killer. It drains the warmth from your core and problems start.
Wool, cotton and down do not wick. If you want to find out take those items off mid day at 20 below after running hard and see what happens.
A person I know was running the Yukon Quest in wool pants and frost bit his .....! He never wore wool again.
After living and trapping in Alaskas interior for over 47 years I have tried every type of clothing and I am glad to report that I put my life on Synthetic any day!
JMO

AV didn't mean to duplicate what you said I just took too long to write my answer!

Really sorry. I was unaware we had to make a choice between trapping and hunting, which I mostly do both on the same day, checking traps before and after and even sometimes during hunting. Try to be as quiet as possible. It is just the way I do things, due to my schedule and outdoor lifestyle choices. Wool works the best for that, for me, here in east; nothing else comes close and most do a lot worse, including fibers some here swear by, like the poly undies.
No question Alaska is a lot colder than PA and the Adirondacks, where I have some of my best adventures. Wool everything works the best for me in the ADKs, but when I am out there it is usually no colder than 5 degrees F., and during the day in the 20s and 30s F. So that is my experience, and it is wool all the way. Trapping AND hunting together. So shoot me

Re: Wool Clothing [Re: bender797] #6154218
02/11/18 12:28 AM
02/11/18 12:28 AM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

bender797 asked the question about trapping clothes, BANG! LOL

Re: Wool Clothing [Re: bender797] #6154233
02/11/18 12:51 AM
02/11/18 12:51 AM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
As a historical note, Colonel Townsend Whelen wore two wool shirts, with a poncho or wind shear for wet or windy weather.

Lost is the real feature of the punt or market hunters of two centuries past, as they never wore cotton undershirts as it could trap moisture and freeze the wearer. They wore silk under their shirts and long johns to protect them from the itchy effects.

Re: Wool Clothing [Re: star flakes] #6155780
02/12/18 04:38 PM
02/12/18 04:38 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: star flakes
As a historical note, Colonel Townsend Whelen wore two wool shirts, with a poncho or wind shear for wet or windy weather.

Which is pretty much what I do. Lots of wool layers, and if there is any wind or spattering rain, then I use a camo poncho. Best ones I have found are the junky "gifts" from the NRA. They are a really soft rubber-like plastic, and actually pretty quiet.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman