No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: don Wolf] #5712458
11/26/16 11:44 PM
11/26/16 11:44 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted By: don Wolf
Don't look to bad!
don wolf
Did you ever mess with the concrete remesh nets like the one I made or did you strictly use standard hoops ?

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #5712545
11/27/16 01:45 AM
11/27/16 01:45 AM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
All I ever used was fiberglass hoops. Some people like steel hoops, but they don't fish well. They are much to heavy and fall down in the river if the current drops off much. You must understand that I had to make a living for my family in the off months. I had to have an income when I wasn't buying fur or roots in the summer months. Fishing made me around 800 to 1000 a week from April to November.
I sold spoon bill cavier in early spring and late fall.

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #5712669
11/27/16 09:02 AM
11/27/16 09:02 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
When I was a kid, all of Dad's hoop nets had white oak hoops. They fished well.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: don Wolf] #5712956
11/27/16 03:08 PM
11/27/16 03:08 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
All I ever used was fiberglass hoops. Some people like steel hoops, but they don't fish well. They are much to heavy and fall down in the river if the current drops off much. You must understand that I had to make a living for my family in the off months. I had to have an income when I wasn't buying fur or roots in the summer months. Fishing made me around 800 to 1000 a week from April to November.
Sir I'll tell ya your a wealth of info on this subject ! Ever consider writing a book ?

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #5713456
11/27/16 10:17 PM
11/27/16 10:17 PM
Portsmouth Va.
A
aprophet Offline
trapper
aprophet  Offline
trapper
A

Portsmouth Va.
You guys ever make carve your own needles

I TRAP PETA'S FRONT PORCH

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #5713521
11/27/16 11:00 PM
11/27/16 11:00 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
I did when I started out. Not hard at all but I ended up breaking them all the time

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #5713675
11/28/16 02:33 AM
11/28/16 02:33 AM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Originally Posted By: Wolfdog91
Sir I'll tell ya your a wealth of info on this subject ! Ever consider writing a book ?
The thought had passed my mind, but don't know if I could stay interested long enough to do such a thing.

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #6153708
02/10/18 04:21 PM
02/10/18 04:21 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ttt

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #6165745
02/21/18 09:39 PM
02/21/18 09:39 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Up

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #6250029
05/29/18 06:46 PM
05/29/18 06:46 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ttt

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #6250146
05/29/18 09:42 PM
05/29/18 09:42 PM
Bossier city, Louisiana 71112
B
beaverfoot Offline
trapper
beaverfoot  Offline
trapper
B

Bossier city, Louisiana 71112
The best way to learn how to build nets is to keep quiet and watch what a hanger is doing. After a while you will be making them.and when you see a net you should start counting and get a copy of the net. A good hanger can then change it up to his likes.

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #6250252
05/30/18 02:31 AM
05/30/18 02:31 AM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Wolfdog, if you ever get near Evansville Ind. give me a holler. I can show you several nets of different sizes and some Gill Nets I made. Like the man just posted a couple post back, all you need to do is bring a note book and start counting. I will help you understand what your seeing and how many rows of mesh need to be sewn in a row then when and how to take up your mesh so you start reducing the diameter and then how to sew the mesh together and how to make a crows foot throat with all the strings tied to their respective throats and how to lace it all together so it is symmetrical.
Come see me young man, looks like you might be one of the men in this world that wants to carry on the true art of net making.

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: don Wolf] #6989250
09/13/20 08:56 AM
09/13/20 08:56 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by don Wolf
The Crows foot throat and a finger throat are the same. I make all my throats and the cage out of #9. I hang my rear throat with a main line of # 12. I also use #12 for the main line going to the 4th hoop. I like #9 because it isn't as heavy as # 15 and also if you use it on the cage part it makes the cage to dark. Be sure to start taking up your mesh once you get to around 6 or full mesh. On my 7th row of full mesh, I start taking up every second mesh, then after I get that done I knit one more row of every second mesh then on the 8th row I start taking up every other mesh. This makes your throats come out pretty small but the nice thing about building the throat the way I build them, they will catch any size fish the enters past the first throat that is hung on the second hoop. The throat looks to small but it will expand easy when a fish enters.
I build my first throat just about the same way but make the throat shorter in length. The throat mainline on the first throat is tied to the 4th hoop. When the first throat is finished it will have a good deal more open type look to it. The idea of this is for the front of the net to look more open and that makes fish enter a lot easier. Once the fish is inside the net between the second a fourth hoop he will automatically start to swim upstream, especially if your net is baited. I prefer cheese bait myself but some folks use cotton seed cake. Cheese will put cotton seed cake to shame when it comes to feeding on the bait sack.
Anytime I catch an eggy fish I will leave her in the net to feed on the Cheese. From the combination of her feeding the cheese bag and having a hormonal fit, it causes your net to load up with catfish.
If your wanting to catch Hyfin, carp or Buffalo, use cotton seed cake, it is the best bait you can get for those particular fish.
I usually use between 5 to 8 pounds of cheese per bait bag.

Originally Posted by don Wolf
I inch square two inch stretch. That is also for a 2 ft. fiddler net. I start with 59 mesh in the flat out
measurement them when I lace it up, it has 60 total mesh around the net. I made these nets a little over 7 ft. long. I of course put a hoop on the very front of the net and then, if I remember correct I put my second hoop at 10 mesh long and third hoop at 10 more mesh long. I hang my first throat on the 2nd hoop and my second throat on the fourth hoop. That is coming from the head of the net. The tail of the net or what is the smaller end faces up stream so the water flows over the net from tail to head.
Understand it has been over 20 years since I built and sold nets and also used my own nets that I would build. I think if I remember correct the amount of mesh was 70 mesh stretch from head to tail. Understand I might be off a little on my figures.
I used fiber glass hoops and would balance all my hoops so the heavy side was always on the bottom of the net that sat on the river bed. If you don't balance your hoops, they will be rolling all around on the river bottom. You want a net to lay flat and straight on the river bed. If a net is constantly moving from side to side, you not catch many fish in the net.
I would always use a set of sharp calipers to get the exact measurement of where my net was laced into my hoops. If you don't keep your hoop lacing in a common pattern, it will also cause a net to walk on the river bottom.
There is a lot more that meets the eye when building a good commercial fishing net. When you do this for a living, you make sure you get your nets built in a good manner. It will mean the difference of catching 10, or 12 catfish to a net or catch a couple hundred to as much as 3 to 400 fish in a single net. I used to only have to run 10 hoop nets and 3 or 4 gill nets for bigger fish to make my days wages.

A lot of valuable information in these posts

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #6989272
09/13/20 09:24 AM
09/13/20 09:24 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Online content
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Online Content
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
My son is about your age and I sure wish he braided his own nets instead of everyone's bull ropes and bronc reigns. Your work areas look compact and neat. His not so much. What he makes don't look that long but when he starts out his crap would go all over the house b/c the individual strands would be 80 to 100 ft. Tripping and tangling in his messes almost made me miss Legos and Lincoln Logs (almost) grin

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: Wolfdog91] #6989436
09/13/20 12:40 PM
09/13/20 12:40 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State

So Wolfie, you definitely have some net working skills, I can tell by how you're using your tools and fingers.
I have a couple of questions: Can you make money in your part of the Country by putting those skills into use? Do you catch turtles and whatever else just for you own use, or is there a commercial market for the stuff you catch?
I hope you find a way to capitalize on your skills. I really doubt you would want to move away from your part of the Country, but you might enjoy a season or two checking out some net fisheries in other parts of the Country.
I'm attaching a Youtube video of an interesting fishery that occurs in Washington State, There are only about eight of the Lummi Island Reef netters in existence, a very complicated net fishery, but pretty interesting.
I kind of prefer a higher volume, lower tech fishing like gill netting. Maybe you'd like to visit (work) in the Alaska Bristol Bay fishery for a few weeks some summer, I think you'd really enjoy it.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Mud turtle trap Pictoral . How to make net throats [Re: waggler] #6990647
09/14/20 08:00 PM
09/14/20 08:00 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by waggler

So Wolfie, you definitely have some net working skills, I can tell by how you're using your tools and fingers.
I have a couple of questions: Can you make money in your part of the Country by putting those skills into use? Do you catch turtles and whatever else just for you own use, or is there a commercial market for the stuff you catch?
I hope you find a way to capitalize on your skills. I really doubt you would want to move away from your part of the Country, but you might enjoy a season or two checking out some net fisheries in other parts of the Country.
I'm attaching a Youtube video of an interesting fishery that occurs in Washington State, There are only about eight of the Lummi Island Reef netters in existence, a very complicated net fishery, but pretty interesting.
I kind of prefer a higher volume, lower tech fishing like gill netting. Maybe you'd like to visit (work) in the Alaska Bristol Bay fishery for a few weeks some summer, I think you'd really enjoy it.

Honestly I haven't put a ton of thought into making money without net making, like slot of things I do it's something I kind of do for therapy. No commercial market for turtles in my state due to game laws and I d OK my yard access to a good enough water way currently to make money off of fish nor do I have the skills yet. And yes it is on the bucket list to travel around a little and work with some others when it comes to fishing and net making.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread