No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5764678 - 01/08/17 06:52 PM Gene Purdy - sad news
~ADC~ Offline
The Count

Loc: SE-Central Iowa
Here's a copy of the post ITA President Craig Sweet made on Iowa Trappers Talk...

Quote:
I know alot of people here on ITT and around the trapping world know Gene. Gene has been on the ITA Board since 1975, 42 years, FTA Governing Board,and setup the demo area at the NTA for many years - hence demoman - xdemoman This fall would have been his 61st year of trapping, if there was something involving trapping Gene was present. But, what alot of people did not know was that on Oct 24th (if I remember that date correct) he found out that he had Stage 4 cancer in the brain, bones and lungs. He found out on a Monday, started radiation on Tuesday and chemo the following week. After which he said no more. Gene had remained at home until this morining when he was placed in Hospice care. At this time PLEASE DO NOT call, PM or email so the family can have their time. I will keep everyone here updated as I receive it. Keep Gene and the faimly in your prayers -- Craig

Gene has done a lot for trappers over his years and will be sorely missed. He's been a Trapperman member for as long as I can recall. frown

~ADC~

ADC's Skinning Machines & ADC's Baits <-- click here

#5764705 - 01/08/17 07:16 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
swampcat Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Minnesota
Thanks for putting this out for us.
So sorry to hear. I have known Gene for years great man always there to help when it came to trappers.
Prayers are with Gene and the family.

#5764706 - 01/08/17 07:16 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Gene Is very close friend Of our family.
Reading this has brought tears to my eyes.

#5764728 - 01/08/17 07:29 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: The Beav]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
Had the pleasure to work with him with the demos for our 2010 NTA national and also having him do a demo at our 2013 FTA national.
Great person and advocate for trapping. God's strength to his family during this stressful time.

Bryce

#5764730 - 01/08/17 07:30 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
Very sad news indeed. A true gentleman, tremendous trapper, and worked tirelessly helping to preserve our way of life. He will be sorely missed. Prayers sent.

#5764806 - 01/08/17 08:10 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Minnesota
My prayers go out to Gene and his family.
I had the pleasure of doing demos several times for Gene.
The most pleasurable time ,was when Gene called and asked to accompany Mike Tucker and I on our metro beaver line.Gene had to borrow waders,because on his home lines,hippers were always enough.
Thanks for the good memories Gene.
Tom

#5764920 - 01/08/17 09:15 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
LLtrapper Online   content
"The Coon Combine"

Loc: Pottawatamie co. IA
This picture was of Gene when we went to Seattle to watch our fur sell at SAGA/Furharvesters sale. One of the finest men I ever have known and his wife has been a trooper in this whole thing. LLL

#5764935 - 01/08/17 09:34 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper

Loc: Wheaton Ks
I agree with all that's been said here. Gene and I go back quite a ways, and a better man I will never know. He bailed me out one time when I had a big trailer load of fur and had truck troubles, and gave me the use of his truck to get home! That's how Gene was with everyone, always there to help! I heard of this awhile back, but was ask to keep a lid on it and not spread the word. I found that very hard, but honored the request out of respect for the family. We're all getting there, some just faster than others. I pray that God will bless him with no more pain in this life and his traps all be full in the next!

Now officially an old fart
http://www.lptraplinesupply.com

#5764940 - 01/08/17 09:43 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
TRapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Central IA

He texted me about month and a half ago asking for this picture...promptly sent to him and let him know i am praying
Also Offer Professional Mole Trapping Instruction
www.ProfessionalMoleTrapping.com

#5765047 - 01/09/17 05:06 AM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 66
This is a tough one to read. God be with you.

#5765058 - 01/09/17 05:34 AM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
Ron Marsh Offline
trapper

Loc: PA Venango Co.
Sent with prayer.
PTA Lifetime #131N. Salvation Army CSM
Stakes: Why leave them?
ALWAYS John 3:16 814-677-2564 http://marsh.20megsfree.com

#5765072 - 01/09/17 06:27 AM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
MChewk Online   content
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
Sad news for sure...Gene is a true gentleman and one heck of trapper. Always a smile on his face and always had a interesting trapping related story. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

#5765073 - 01/09/17 06:27 AM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
Gene is a great man who has a huge heart. He will be missed something awful. I met and talked with him at a lot of conventions. It won't be the same without him there.

#5765100 - 01/09/17 07:17 AM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
Jtrapper Online   crying

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
This news is a real punch in the gut. I really have no words, always enjoyed chatting with Gene through the years, usually about trapping politic's, sometimes we had different views but there was ALWAYS alot of respect on both sides. How he ran the demo's at the NTA convention's for over 20 years is amazing, anyone that has ever had the pleasure of trying to keep that circus going all day everyday will understand.

I think last time i saw Gene he had learned through the vine we were doing kid workshops and he ran all over the grounds to find me to donate what few items he had left from his tailgate he had sold stuff from, wanted those items to be given to kids as door prize's which they were. And was mad at me for not filling him in on these and what i was doing gathering up donation's for them, lol. I really hate this has happened to him, breaks my heart.

Prayers to him and his family, he will be sorely missed in the trapping community!

#5765138 - 01/09/17 08:04 AM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
iayogi17 Offline
trapper

Loc: N Central Iowa. 40yrs
Here is a pic of Gene helping with Bobcat research

#5765155 - 01/09/17 08:41 AM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
garman Offline
trapper

Loc: minnesota
This is going to be a loss of a great man!!!

#5765271 - 01/09/17 10:46 AM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
rss Offline
trapper

Loc: southern illinois
Prayer sent

#5765640 - 01/09/17 04:46 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
PaulB Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
I got am email from Gene the last week in October,,he said he just got home from his first radiation treatment and started chemo the next week,,,I was at my sons in Wisconsin and called him on the spot,,,we had a good talk and he told me it. Was not good,,,and as Lee posted he asked it not be spread around which I honored,,,I have no idea how long I new gene or where we met,,seems like he was just always there,,the last time I saw gene was at the fall ITA convention where we tailgates together,,,he made a lot of trips to Milford just south of me where his daughter and family lived,,,he really enjoyed the grandkids,'and we usually got together for coffee and swapped a few stories,,,,I am proud to call him my friend,,,

#5765651 - 01/09/17 04:55 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Absolutely a great guy. Was one of the first I met with the trapping organizations.

#5765882 - 01/09/17 07:29 PM Re: Gene Purdy - sad news [Re: ~ADC~]
Nick C Offline
trapper

Loc: IA
When he hosted an Iowa trappers get together at his fur shed, he showed us his mink skinning set up, and a ton of other fur shed organization tips. Have tried to mimic my shop like his. Was a great guy to welcome younger newer trappers at conventions and get togethers. Godspeed Gene

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >