No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5768034 - 01/11/17 11:13 AM A Good Read
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper

Loc: PA / MN
Twelve years ago this month the US Navy experienced a costly accident at sea that could have been much worse than it was. Hard to believe it was that long ago. Here is a link to an old article about the accident that a friend of mine shared on Facebook.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/us/adr...rnity.html?_r=0

I remember the incident very well, as I was stationed in Guam on another submarine at the time, the USS CITY OF CORPUS CHRISTI. They were in rough shape when they finally made it back home. A simple google search will turn up various pictures of the drydocked submarine which will show you what the damage was like. It is really amazing that more didn't die in the incident. I knew several members of the crew, including some mentioned in the above article.

Anyway I thought some of you might enjoy the read.

#5768104 - 01/11/17 12:13 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
Chancey Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Texas
Wow! Thank you for posting Mr. Kelsey!

I had never heard of the incident before, and that was an awesome read. I have always found submarines and their stories fascinating. Submariners are a tough bunch, no way I could get in one and go down that deep!

#5768121 - 01/11/17 12:31 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper

Loc: OK
Holy crap !! Whatta tale. Wow.

#5768175 - 01/11/17 01:26 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Thanks, Cameron. I served on the same class of sub for 3 1/2 years. I could picture everything in my mind while I read it. Where people were sitting and standing, where bodies went flying, the whole thing.

That smoking room they talked about. Back in my day we could smoke anywhere. Is that smoking room in Shaft Alley? Kinda sounded that way. I smoked a pipe in Maneuvering, and the guys I stood watch with picked out my tobacco at a tobacco shop.

#5768204 - 01/11/17 01:53 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: BuckNE]
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: BuckNE
Thanks, Cameron. I served on the same class of sub for 3 1/2 years. I could picture everything in my mind while I read it. Where people were sitting and standing, where bodies went flying, the whole thing.

That smoking room they talked about. Back in my day we could smoke anywhere. Is that smoking room in Shaft Alley? Kinda sounded that way. I smoked a pipe in Maneuvering, and the guys I stood watch with picked out my tobacco at a tobacco shop.

I have seen smoking areas in different parts of boats; Machinery Room, Shaft Alley, and other places. On the SAN FRANCISCO it sounds like they used Shaft Alley. Typically the number allowed to smoke at one time was limited to two or three guys.

As of about five years or so ago smoking is no longer allowed on American submarines. The only things people can use now underway are e-cigs and smokeless tobacco. While it seemed like there was always plenty of guys that chewed on submarines the number really escalated after the smoking ban.

#5768229 - 01/11/17 02:12 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

I found some pictures that show the sonar sphere. Good Lord, can you imagine if that was breached? My rack was where the door to it was.

#5768251 - 01/11/17 02:24 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper

Cam,
When did you pick up Master Chief ? Congrats and 'Bravo zulu' as I wasn't aware .

#5768287 - 01/11/17 03:02 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Aaron Proffitt]
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Aaron Proffitt
Cam,
When did you pick up Master Chief ? Congrats and 'Bravo zulu' as I wasn't aware .

Thank you. I picked up Master Chief in 2013. On February 1 I am crossing over to the "dark side" and getting commissioned as a Warrant Officer.

#5768296 - 01/11/17 03:07 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Cameron Kelsey
Cam,

Thank you. I picked up Master Chief in 2013. On February 1 I am crossing over to the "dark side" and getting commissioned as a Warrant Officer.

Good to see I've been paying attention. Warrant isn't "dark side" , Master Chief . You can drink without using a sippy cup unlike butter bars. You won't have to start cutting teeth all over again.

Anyway, well done.

#5768771 - 01/11/17 08:39 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper

What's impressive is after the collision the SAN FRANCISCO was repaired. It took almost four years but they finally got it back into service again.

#5768798 - 01/11/17 08:50 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Cameron Kelsey
Cam,

Congrats on the promotion! My first boss at EOD school was Gunner Demers. It was fun watching when the young troops mistakenly called him "Gunny". He really went off on them. He was a really crusty fart on the outside, but those who got to know him found him to be a different person than he presented on the outside.

#5768825 - 01/11/17 09:04 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
Lugnut Offline
trapper

Loc: SEPA
That was an interesting article, thanks for sharing it.

#5768828 - 01/11/17 09:07 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

#5768999 - 01/12/17 12:34 AM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper

Loc: MB
So there's submarines cruising around the oceans right now keeping the world safe from war?

#5769001 - 01/12/17 12:38 AM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ontario, Canada
I just want to know why the end of submarines look like a garbage dump!

#5769530 - 01/12/17 02:57 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Congrats on the promotion! My first boss at EOD school was Gunner Demers. It was fun watching when the young troops mistakenly called him "Gunny". He really went off on them. He was a really crusty fart on the outside, but those who got to know him found him to be a different person than he presented on the outside.

Thanks Paul!

#5769755 - 01/12/17 07:03 PM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper

Loc: Wheaton Ks
Thanks for the article Cameron, and thanks for the pic Buck. That is an amazing story! I've seen vehicles that have hit trees, and I always said it isn't the speed that kills you, It's that sudden stop! It seems impossible that with that many on board, there was only one fatality! Definitely a good read! Thank you.

Now officially an old fart
http://www.lptraplinesupply.com

#5770244 - 01/13/17 08:39 AM Re: A Good Read [Re: lee steinmeyer]
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: lee steinmeyer
Thanks for the article Cameron, and thanks for the pic Buck. That is an amazing story! I've seen vehicles that have hit trees, and I always said it isn't the speed that kills you, It's that sudden stop! It seems impossible that with that many on board, there was only one fatality! Definitely a good read! Thank you.

Evidently the boat had done a very good job of maintaining things "stowed for sea" meaning if something wasn't being used it was either put away strapped down. This cut down on the number of objects flying around after the collision. Flying objects equate to injuries and possibly even fatalities. I am not saying this was the only thing that saved lives, but it certainly helped. I remember many training sessions on the SAN FRANCISCO collision and the ship being stowed for sea was always discussed. Even to this day it is frequently mentioned as submarine leaders stress the importance of cleanliness and stowage to their respective crews.

Much credit also goes out to the boat's Corpsman who busted his tail taking care of the injured and trying to save Petty Officer Ashley.

#5770254 - 01/13/17 08:46 AM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Gotta love the Doc. He holds a place of high esteem on any sub. Kind of an independent entity unto himself.

We had some good ones. The first one was absolutely amazing. Only guy on the boat with a Purple heart. He served with the Marines in Vietnam on a couple of tours. That guy could stitch like an artist. We once did a liberty run over to Maui, anchored off the beach at Lahaina, and had swim call. We had a guy on the boat from Hawaii so he had a pretty dark complexion, and he was trying to climb up the sonar dome and slipped and split his face wide open. We thought it would leave a big scar, but Doc sewed him up so good a few months later you couldn't even notice it.

#5770264 - 01/13/17 09:02 AM Re: A Good Read [Re: Cameron Kelsey]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

We once had a guy whose appendix burst and we were making a high speed run to meet up with a carrier. Doc is taking a break in crew's mess and drinking a cup of coffee, and we're sitting there and I asked him if he could perform an appendectomy. This is how he answered.

"Could you fire a torpedo?"

I told him I probably could in the direst of straits, it was part of ship's quals, but I'd never fired one and I would be scared crapless and might mess it up. He said, "That's me and an appendectomy."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >