Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5767310 - 01/10/17 07:48 PM Getting To Deadhorse Alaska
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Id love to see Deadhorse. My wife likes the idea too. We would probably take 3-4 weeks for the trip.

Any of you been there? Is it worth the trip? It's a long haul up there from Louisiana LOL

Of course Im going to want to see other parts of Alaska on the way. This would be a trip in a few years at the earliest, but it wouldn't hurt to start planning it a couple years out...

#5767597 - 01/10/17 11:25 PM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
spotter Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Why Deadhorse?

#5767607 - 01/10/17 11:37 PM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
alaska viking Offline
"Made it one year not being censored"

Loc: juneau, alaska
It's not as romantic as it sounds.

#5767622 - 01/11/17 01:20 AM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
cweg94 Offline
trapper

Loc: Petersburg, AK
My dad works up in Deadhorse and he always talks about people who come up to visit. His favorite part is the look of disappointment on people's faces as they turn the vehicle around and start the long drive back. It's pretty easy to find though. Get on the haul road out of Fairbanks and when you see an airport...Deadhorse.

#5767630 - 01/11/17 03:51 AM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
Sonny N Offline
trapper

Loc: Nuiqsut alaska
That's 60 miles from my house. Deadhorse isnt all that. Might see a wolverine on the way though. My friend was driving on the haul road and one ran into the road and he accidentally hit it 60 miles out of dead horse and it died.

#5767822 - 01/11/17 08:12 AM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
You can't beat a dead horse

#5768097 - 01/11/17 12:08 PM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
spotter Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
But it sure makes good wolf bait

#5768928 - 01/11/17 10:27 PM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
g smith Offline
trapper

Loc: Mt.
I have had many that I should have deaded !

#5769048 - 01/12/17 05:48 AM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
I guided on the North Slope for many years. Started before there was a road. (It was a lot nicer then, but even then there was no reason to go to what morphed into "Deadhorse" between the mouth of the Sagavanariktok and the mouth of the Kuparuk.

Bottom line is that you can see a bunch of neat stuff by going North, BUT... You pretty much run out of "scenery" just a few miles N of the Brooks Range. Atigun Pass is awesome and Galbraith Lake is pretty, but you may as well turn around and head back once you get to about Slope Mountain.

Deadhorse is just another heavily industrialized oil field service area!

A cheeseburger at Deadhorse tastes just like a cheeseburger in Louisiana. The only difference is that a burger in Deadhorse costs about the same as a house payment in Louisiana! (Buying gasoline there will put the squeeze on your wallet too.)

The oil companies won't let you in to drive around and you can't get to the "beach" to say you dipped your toe in the Arctic Ocean.

The seagulls at Deadhorse look just like the ones on dumps in Louisiana!

Caribou at Slope Mtn look just like the caribou at the mouth of the Kuparuk River!

The country between Slope Mtn and Deadhorse is just "miles and miles of miles and miles....!" Granted, some of the dark dots on the tundra are muskox, but most are just old oil drums.

Pete

Edited by Pete in Frbks (01/12/17 05:49 AM)

#5769090 - 01/12/17 06:55 AM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: spotter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: spotter
Why Deadhorse?

I shot a great Eagle Head (blue goose) down here. I mean a perfect specimen, the kind that I regret not getting mounted. It had a band, and I called it in. Unlike every other time I called it in, they didn't just accept what I told them. I received an email a week or two later, and they told me that they needed photographs of the band and for me to verify the numbers and other information about the encounter. I verified what they asked, and they sent me the certificate.

The goose was banded in Deadhorse, Ak. That's what put the place on my radar.

I have seen what it looks like using Google Earth. I know there isn't much there to see. It's just a destination to me, the end of the world. The trip to Alaska is the main attraction, and visiting Deadhorse would just be where we would bust a U-turn and start heading South.

#5769120 - 01/12/17 07:20 AM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
luvcanids Offline
trapper

Loc: SE PA ,VT,
If you make it from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and back without a cracked wind shield you need to buy a lottery ticket.

#5769195 - 01/12/17 08:41 AM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: luvcanids]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: luvcanids
If you make it from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and back without a cracked wind shield you need to buy a lottery ticket.

From 18 wheelers slinging stones?

#5769218 - 01/12/17 09:02 AM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
I would think several spare tires would be in order too.

#5769289 - 01/12/17 10:15 AM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
Team V Offline
trapper

Loc: North Pole ak
I have traveled that rd several times and never got a flat or a broke windshield . But laught the whole way with some tourist in rental cars driving up there with wire mesh duck taped across windshield and a case of fix a flat in the back seat.

Not much there and I to have some duck bands from that are but the drive would be worth it just for the scenery and to say you did it .

#5769331 - 01/12/17 10:48 AM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
luvcanids Offline
trapper

Loc: SE PA ,VT,
WELL TV, sounds like the Dalton has improved. Late 70-early 80s when acess was restricted it was interesting to say the least.

#5769415 - 01/12/17 12:25 PM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Boco]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Boco
I would think several spare tires would be in order too.

For a trip like that, I'd bring 2 spares. It'd be foolish not to.

#5769419 - 01/12/17 12:28 PM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

So I dug up my letter to the bander that started all of this.

I wrote to him wanting to know what was different about this band. This is what he replied:

"Jeff,

They are interested in Blue Geese from Alaska. Few and far between. Louisiana is getting as East as AK birds go. Also last year someone reported a blue as an Emperor and probably got them excited! Good Hunting. Bob"

#5769421 - 01/12/17 12:29 PM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

#5769665 - 01/12/17 05:49 PM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
johnny_reb Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I assume you'll be flying up and renting a vehicle. The usual car rental places don't allow their rigs to go on the haul road last I checked. There is a place or two in town that will, just something to be aware of.

#5769801 - 01/12/17 07:35 PM Re: Getting To Deadhorse Alaska [Re: Aix sponsa]
trapperJM Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
The drive is awesome. The destination is not