Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5761074 - 01/05/17 06:50 PM First time selling fur in Wyoming
Lurp Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming
I'm currently located in Northeastern Wyoming and looking to sell some Wyoming bobcat pelts. I currently have 12 to sell which are a mix of size and sex. The majority of furs are toms as I try and release females when possible. I've been in contact with a few fur buyers in the area but this is my first time selling fur. Is their any recommendations for honest buyers or any way to figure out if I'm being ripped off? As I said I have no experience in this area and just want to be treated fairly and would appreciate any advice or recommendations on how to go about selling. I've been in contact with John Hughes out of Montana and Peska Fur out of Nebraska. Any experiences with those buyers? Thanks.

Edited to add : Forgot to mention that I don't mind traveling a little bit.

Edited by Lurp (01/05/17 06:55 PM)

#5761096 - 01/05/17 07:05 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
Monster Toms Offline
trapper

Loc: The great cage state Colorado
So obviously you have no idea what your fur is worth. So how will you know if your getting a Kiss or a Kick?

Both of the buyers listed have been around a long time. each has a market and each has to turn a profit.

Size and sex play a role yes, but quality of pelt and handling are just as important, an early cat caught before Christmas is worth half of what he would be worth after January 1st. The market is tough on sows and short cats (under 34") Good toms are just starting gain value.

With out a picture or touching them the value is what you agree on.

www.crittercollector.com

#5761102 - 01/05/17 07:10 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
Wyoming bobcats, assuming they weren't harvested too early, will be in demand this season. How much in demand remains to be seen as the buyers are just now starting to chase after cats.

In addition to the 2 buyers you mentioned, there are several others. George Kortum at Western Montana Fur, Don Judkins at Fort Benton, Kreg Koelling at American Fur. Probably more.

If you are unsure of what they are worth, I would suggest trying a trappers sale that attracts multiple buyers.

Colorado Trappers in Hugo, Colorado the first part of February or Nevada Trappers in Fallon, Nevada the last weekend in February are 2 you might consider.

Don't be in a hurry to sell to the first buyer that makes you an offer.

#5761116 - 01/05/17 07:27 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
An auction would be your best bet until you learn more about the fur market.

#5761120 - 01/05/17 07:29 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
Lurp Offline
trapper

Thanks for the responses, I will look into those other buyers. I would love to attend an auction but unfortunately I have a very awkward work schedule that sometimes makes that hard. My work schedule is part of the reason I'm looking into the convenience of a road buyer. I understand that the buyers need to make money also and am very reasonable. I'm a hobby trapper and don't expect to get rich or make a living from my fur, but would just like to know I'm being treated fairly. Both of your posts were very helpful, I appreciate it.

Edited by Lurp (01/05/17 07:29 PM)

#5761131 - 01/05/17 07:33 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
Lurp Offline
trapper

If I may inquire what does shipping usually run on furs? Any suggestions if I decide to go that route since it seems to be the common suggestion? If I were to ship to say the Colorado Auction how would I go about setting a reserve for my furs that was reasonable?

#5761150 - 01/05/17 07:42 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
Monster Toms Offline
trapper

Loc: The great cage state Colorado
If they are properly handled they can be folded, boxed and sent usp,usps,or fed ex. If you sent them to Colorado I would be happy to call you and discuss a reserve,

I would think you could ship 12 cats to Colorado for around $25

www.crittercollector.com

#5761229 - 01/05/17 08:28 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
wissmiss Offline

Pelts can be gently folded for shipping. Both Colorado and Nevada personal will make sure the pelts are combed and fluffed up before being offered for sale.

Colorado does charge a 2% fee to put a reserve price on your pelts. This is a cheap insurance possible. I wouldn't consign pelts to a trapper auction without putting a reserve on them, especially cats.

Even though Wyoming is close to Colorado, I'm thinking shipping is going to be more than $25.00. Might be closer to $50.00. But that is only $4.00 per cat.

#5761269 - 01/05/17 08:54 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
Lurp Offline
trapper

The more I think about it the best option may be an auction. It would give me an opportunity to learn and introduce some competition in the buying process. I will think about it for a few days and make a decision. Even $50 isn't that bad if I can just send them and forget about it. That's what I would pay in gas for shopping around to different buyers anyway. Thanks guys.

Edited by Lurp (01/05/17 08:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#5763707 - 01/07/17 10:00 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
Allan Minear Offline
trapper

Loc: Lewistown , Mt
The Montana Trappers Association also has a fur auction in February which will have many serious fur buyers in attendance.
Allan

#5763796 - 01/08/17 01:27 AM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Allan Minear]
Lurp Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Allan Minear
The Montana Trappers Association also has a fur auction in February which will have many serious fur buyers in attendance.
Allan

Awesome. Wold you happen to know the dates?

#5763806 - 01/08/17 04:53 AM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
wissmiss Offline

The past couple of years the sale has been held in Livingston, Montana. Dates have varied from February to March.

The sale date and information for 2017 is not listed on their web site. Hopefully a Montana trapper will see this thread and chime in.

Depending on where you are in Wyoming, that sale might be close enough that you could attend in person.

#5764107 - 01/08/17 11:09 AM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
Allan Minear Offline
trapper

The Montana Trappers Association fur sale dates are February 24-25 at the Livingston Mt fairgrounds.
Allan

#5764164 - 01/08/17 11:52 AM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
wissmiss Offline

Thanks for posting the Montana sale dates. Do you have contact info for the sale, in case some one wants more specific info?

I've updated the Fur Sale Directory with the dates and also added a link to last years sale results.

#5764265 - 01/08/17 01:29 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
Allan Minear Offline
trapper

The contact person is Brian Stoner he can be reached at 406-581-8583

#5769064 - 01/12/17 06:06 AM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
jwill Offline
trapper

Loc: wyoming
Wissmiss, Is Judkins back in Fort Benton? I heard he moved to Idaho several years back. I am headed to Great Falls in feb and have some cats as well. If he is back in Fort Benton I might just have to pop in and see what he is offering. Use to sell to him and Larry Dulilo when a youngin when they were buyers in Great Falls for Pacific hide and furs.

#5769381 - 01/12/17 11:53 AM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
wissmiss Offline

As far as I know Don is still based in Orofino, Idaho. He kept the business name Fort Benton Furs because that is how he is known in the fur business.

He does run several buying routes in Montana. Not sure if he travels in Wyoming or not.

His brothers are in the business as well. They are at Fort Bridger in Montana.

#5769619 - 01/12/17 04:52 PM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
jwill Offline
trapper

Loc: wyoming
Oh ok Wissmiss. I should have read a little closer. Bummer, I was hoping he was back in Mt.

#5770072 - 01/13/17 12:37 AM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: Lurp]
10bands Offline
trapper

Loc: Meridian, Idaho
Blackfoot, Idaho sale is this month. Not as big as the CO or NV sales I'm sure but it's an option anyway. Many of the western buyers already mentioned are usually there as well as several others. January 27-28 http://uppersnakerivertrappersofidaho.org/news.html

#5771420 - 01/14/17 06:21 AM Re: First time selling fur in Wyoming [Re: jwill]
Lurp Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: jwill
Oh ok Wissmiss. I should have read a little closer. Bummer, I was hoping he was back in Mt.

I actually contacted Mr. Judkins and was told he does travel through WY at the end of the season in March buying cats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >