International forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the International Trappers forum)

Trading Post

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5358010 - 01/09/16 03:05 PM Re: Advice on marten trapping [Re: Soopeli]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
One reason beaver meat is used here is it has a nice smell,even when real cold.
Myself I only use bait,I don't use lure.
Your snowmachine shouldn't bother the animals.Here the animals take advantage of a packed ski doo trail to travel on in deep snow.
If you want to find out if your boxes are the problem make a smaller open box and set where you have sign beside one of your present boxes that they are not entering.This will let you know if it is the box that is the problem.

#5358431 - 01/09/16 06:39 PM Re: Advice on marten trapping [Re: Soopeli]
Silver Fox Offline
trapper

Loc: Interior AK
try taint your bait......believe me it works

23 Marten
1 Mink
3 Ermine
1 lynx

#5359097 - 01/09/16 11:26 PM Re: Advice on marten trapping [Re: Soopeli]
cmcf Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming
I catch marten here in Wyoming the same way you're trying there. Three things that may help,rear of box open with screen or small holes,you may have this already I couldn't tell from pictures. Rub bait on trunk of the tree the box is on only.From ground to the box. Pan trigger will reduce refusals,they step on pan(trigger & dog on bottom of trap) instead of pushing the wires out of the way with their faces I make the pans from wood about 1/2 centimeter thick by 4 cm deep by 5 or 6 cm wide.Drill two holes for trigger wires. With the trap in the set position the pans should be on the bottom and bent inward towards the rear of the box to a little over 45 degrees.The dog should be on the inside jaw pointing outwards. If you go to the archives I'm sure you can find pictures of them.

#5832628 - 03/02/17 03:08 PM Re: Advice on marten trapping [Re: Soopeli]
Soopeli Offline
trapper

Loc: Finland
Thought i would "rise" this topic again for convenience so i wont have to make a new topic.

Ok, so my new questions are related to the previous questions i had. Does anyone have any idea on why my marten make refusals on my sets. My refusals are all the same, the marten run right past my sets/boxes. Start of the season looked promising, i got my season started early december, gaught a weasel, then a week later another weasel, i was excited. Then last week of december i went and had my first marten, a really big one. At first i thought my trap was stolen because i couldnt see the trap. I went closer and saw something brown and couldnt believe it. It had fallen with the trap almost to the bottom but hung from the chain. So i lifted it up from the box and i cursed, it was eaten, back leg missing other back leg eaten but the paw, only the spine left with some fur and the front untouched with the head and front paws. I got really depressed and thought well what can i do, so i went on, had three more boxes to check. At the final box i saw a big hole next to my skidoo track like something had dived in the snow, then i saw tracks about ten meters further and they circled to where my box was. I got excited again and went to my box and there was another marten, intact, perfect. After this i caught in january another weasel and another marten.

Then it stopped like hitting a wall. When before there were tracks everywhere like marten heaven, now almost 200km with my snowmachine and only 4 different marten, this is during a period of two days. Lots of weasel tracks and oddly lots of otter which is protected by law in my country and not allowed to be killed. Anyways the marten and weasel i see they now only run like 2 meters behind or even under my sets and ignore them. I suspected it would be because there are mice etc to hunt but early season the ground froze rock solid and i said to my friends this winter they wont have much mice to eat. Ive been reading all topics and forums and cant seem to find an explanation. Any thoughts on this?

A friend of mine said january to mid march its going to be tough to trap a marten, he didnt know why, he only said the next time ill catch a marten will be mid march. Also i was wondering where the heck did all the marten go. First tracks enough i could count almost endlessly and now i can count them with one hand fingers. There was an article here on a hunter magazine in which a man who had trapped and shot (with the help of a dog) almost a thousand marten in his lifetime. He said that the female marten spend most of their time in trees hopping from tree to another and not committing to ground level, they are the hardest to hunt with a dog. The male marten are bigger so he claimed they spend more time on the ground. He also said the biggest marten are found in lapland(where i live) in our country. And he also claimed he has noticed marten behavior changed during the years, usually you expect to find them in old forests but nowadays they spend a lot of time in young stands made by modern forestry.

Ive tried all kinds of bait, and noticed the best propably is fish, and reindeer or moose lungs. They also like bird parts. Anyways its starting to get to my nerves when i see a marten track just by my set or under it and not committing to them. I find it hard to believe they refuse to climb since it is a climbing creature. Also all the weasel and marten ive caught so far have climbed in my sets. My sets need to be elevated otherwise mice will chew them or the foxes get to them, we have a lot of foxes a real nuisance of amount.

#5832676 - 03/02/17 04:19 PM Re: Advice on marten trapping [Re: Soopeli]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Marten hunt subnivean(under the snow) for microtines(small mice,voles and shrews) when the weather gets colder.That is why the best marten habitat has plenty of coarse woody debris on the ground which provides the open areas for them to hunt under the snow.

#5842921 - 03/12/17 06:08 AM Re: Advice on marten trapping [Re: Soopeli]
Eddie43 Offline
trapper

Loc: Ireland
I've seen a lot of guy's in Europe using bird feathers, and wings hanging by string at their sets, for some eye appeal. Also, as said earlier, adding pans to your traps will help if your getting refusals.

#5846027 - 03/14/17 02:54 PM Re: Advice on marten trapping [Re: Soopeli]
Soopeli Offline
trapper

Loc: Finland
My problem is not actual refusal to enter the trap, rather the problem is they wont commit. Ive seen them simply walk by the set/box. I dont understand the problem, my only thought on this is that they arent hungry? Or is there some way to make the sets more appealing? I caught a marten a week ago, a box made the same way that youtube user william larkham Jr makes them. I honestly thought they need a pole leaning to the tree but they dont which makes sense since marten are master climbers. It was good to catch a marten after almost two months from my previous catch. It was a nice dark one, a male weighing 1,5kg. Had some gusto on the tip of a small twig in the box and a small chunk of pike. I noticed gusto smells even after two weeks mildly, but it might smell a lot stronger to a martens nose than that of a mans.

I dont know where they were for the last two months, because now Im starting to see sign like before, everywhere. Propably they move again since its not so cold? I know you guys might not have these same problems over there, i guess you have a lot more marten than we do but i think its good to ask and nice to read what you do different over there.

#5891016 - Yesterday at 10:12 PM Re: Advice on marten trapping [Re: Soopeli]
Pest's Dad Offline
trapper

Loc: Europe
Soopeli; I've just read through this entire thread, so far. Boco is, obviously, a very accomplished trapper of Marten. He also seems to operate in conditions / temperatures on a par with yours?

I don't know. I've only skimmed through the thread, tonight. I did so, deliberately, so the glitch may stick out better. *What are You Not doing that Boco Is doing? Or vice versa.* Nothing stood out.

I also should point out that I've absolutely No experience of temperatures / snow falls like you people operate under! Nor will have the martens I've experienced.

One thing though. ONE Thing ... grates on me. This 'massive' lump of Bait thing. Somebody, above, mentioned the Q Tip of Lure? Is that an internationally recognised thing? The dual ended 'Cotton Buds' we clean our ears out with ~ despite all medical advice?

See, I work in far more temperate conditions. I do Very little. But, in my vast inexperience, I've found One thing: Curiously, a marten May shy away from the biggest, most 'Delicious' Baits. Or even climb over them, to get into a box, at a Q Tip of Scent Lure.

Less being More? Dunno.

And please feel free to PM me, to draw My attention back to this thread. I don't, normally, look in here cool

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ate