No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5850722 - 03/19/17 09:29 AM Just put beaver in the slow cooker
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper

Loc: MI
Had a few questions about eating beaver recently so I thought I would share today's beaver meal

Started with two beavers. A 31# and a 36# removed just the back straps

Trim the sinew silver stuff off the straps

And the other ingredients .... Redskin potatoes, celery, yellow onions, and garlic cloves

And I'm sorry that spell ceck slotered what I typed, but I'm sure u all can figure out wht I typed!!!!

#5850724 - 03/19/17 09:32 AM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper

Put the meat in the slow cooker and pressed garlic added on top

Put the vegetables on top and cover with water

Cook on low for 8 hrs

Will share more after dinner tonight

MT

And I'm sorry that spell ceck slotered what I typed, but I'm sure u all can figure out wht I typed!!!!

#5850729 - 03/19/17 09:40 AM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
Looks good to me. What time should I be there? smile

#5850738 - 03/19/17 09:51 AM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper

Dinner will be around 6

#5850761 - 03/19/17 10:14 AM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Beaver Thumper Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hampshire
That's a meal cooking challenged, like myself, could make. Keep us updated how it comes out as I am interested in making this.

#5850914 - 03/19/17 01:28 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
newfox1 Offline
trapper

Loc: lewis county,new york
What kind of beer should I bring?

#5851012 - 03/19/17 03:44 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper

Any beer you want

Just returned from catching some bait for next season, and the smell is great. Only an hour and twenty till dinner

The bait for next season in my "trapper's livewell"

Put on the ground for sorting

#5851134 - 03/19/17 05:16 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
newfox1 Offline
trapper

can't beat beaver loins,wife fries them with onions,just like venison.yum yum I hope you like genesee that's what i'm bringing grin

#5851167 - 03/19/17 05:37 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Suckers are running there already?
We don't see them til may.Great mink bait there.

Edited by Boco (03/19/17 05:37 PM)

#5851281 - 03/19/17 06:59 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Boco]
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Boco
Suckers are running there already?
We don't see them til may.Great mink bait there.

Not sure if it's the run or not, no one else even on the river. Caught 18 of the 19 from about the same 10x10 area

Here's my plate from dinner, with some fresh cold slaw the wife made. Three of us at dinner. None of yu showed up

And because none of you joined us.........
Enough for lunch tomorrow

#5851300 - 03/19/17 07:15 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Nessmuck Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hampshire
Tell us ...the ones that caught a bunch of flat tails ...but nevah tried it....how was it ?

#5851305 - 03/19/17 07:23 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper

I was gonna come until I realized that I had no idea where you live! Maybe next time. I'll be bringing some Coors Light.

#5851338 - 03/19/17 07:38 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Nessmuck]
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Nessmuck
Tell us ...the ones that caught a bunch of flat tails ...but nevah tried it....how was it ?

Tastes like chicken. Ha ha !

It is good. I would say it is very similar to venison (agricultural area deer)

I'm sure beaver flavor would be influenced by it diet, most I catch are from ponds where they eat Lilly pad and brush

#5851344 - 03/19/17 07:41 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Ditchdiver]
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Ditchdiver
I was gonna come until I realized that I had no idea where you live! Maybe next time. I'll be bringing some Coors Light.

In michigan. That's why I go by Michigan trappin

By Kalamazoo

#5851366 - 03/19/17 07:56 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
don Wolf Offline

Loc: evansville Indiana age70
I had Beaver in the slow cooker last week. Put a cup of water, i packet of Lipton onion soup,Beaver hind legs,potatoes, onions,carrots and cooked for 8 hours. Can't tell the difference from a beef roast.
The night before I cooked Beaver backstraps rolled in flour, put on some steak season salt and it was as good as good gets. I fried the back straps. They came out tender enough to cut with a fork.

#5851373 - 03/19/17 08:02 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
As long as you get no castor or sac oil on the meat, it is wonderful. When I cut beaver for the meat, I change gloves and knives so as not to contaminate the meat. Also make sure there's no contamination on the work surface. It only takes a very little castor juice or sac oil to give the meat an off-flavor. If done correctly, it tastes just like Don said, roast beef.

#5851701 - 03/20/17 07:33 AM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
trapNH Offline
trapper

Loc: NH
Been taking the backstraps for years. I have had it all ways. anyway you have it is good. Try it and you wont throw away any more.

#5851712 - 03/20/17 08:01 AM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper

Lots of houses "by" Kalamazoo! If I start knocking on doors today and don't stop, I MIGHT find you by next season grin

#5851752 - 03/20/17 09:03 AM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
BadgerTrapper97 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fort Bliss Texas
Looks good!

#5851818 - 03/20/17 10:28 AM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Finster Offline
trapper

Loc: Fredonia, PA.
The wife and I tried it last season for the first time. I made stew. It was quite tasty. I will be saving back strap from now on. The only question I have is why a crockpot? The beaver we had was so tender that it didn't need a long cook. Or were you just putting it in there to cook while you did other things?

#5851849 - 03/20/17 11:21 AM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
newfox1 Offline
trapper

stopped in Rochester to get the beer and don't remember what happened after that. grin

#5851909 - 03/20/17 12:41 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Finster]
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Finster
The wife and I tried it last season for the first time. I made stew. It was quite tasty. I will be saving back strap from now on. The only question I have is why a crockpot? The beaver we had was so tender that it didn't need a long cook. Or were you just putting it in there to cook while you did other things?

It's jus the way I like to cook venison roasts and goose breasts, cook it all together and the entire meal cooks it's self all day and at dinner time it's ready to go

I was going to try frying it like steak in a pan. But this is just so easy and good tasting

#5852203 - 03/20/17 06:58 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Drakej Offline
trapper

Loc: Kanabec Cty, MN
The only thing I can add is with the new electric pressure cookers it would be ready in 40 mins.

#5852287 - 03/20/17 08:11 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Puppup Offline
trapper

Loc: pennsylvania
JUST LOVE BEV/MEAT.MMMMMMMMMMMM

#5852315 - 03/20/17 08:24 PM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Bruce T Online   content
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Beaver is good eating.So is bobcat.

#5852580 - 03/21/17 06:18 AM Re: Just put beaver in the slow cooker [Re: Michigan Trappin]
OhioBoy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
When you put your veggies in the slow cooker at the same time as the meat they get mushy.

Start your meat in the morning or whenever and toss the veggies in an hour before you eat.

That's the way I like it. Give it a try.

Same way with noodles. Cook the meat and the broth all day, throw the noodles in last minute.

Veggies need an hour. Noodles need 15 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >