No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5851984 - 03/20/17 02:11 PM weak flame on a turkey fryer
Drakej Offline
trapper

Loc: Kanabec Cty, MN
Got one second hand and fired it up. It burns but the flame seems not like most propane fueled cookers I have ever used(usually dense clean blue flame). The flame is very loose, tall and yellow(not hot, full of carbon). It has an adjustable regulator and a flame oxygen port adjustment(neither of which seems to affect flame other than volume). Having never seen a turkey fryer in action or know someone who has. If that how they burn? Maybe the regulator needs some cleaning or replacing.

#5851986 - 03/20/17 02:15 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
Lufkin Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Lufkin, Tx.
You might have to turn the burner over and beat it with a hammer to knock some of the rust scale out of it. I have to do that occasionally with mine.

#5851987 - 03/20/17 02:16 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa
Have to take mine apart regularly to clean out spider webs and stink bugs.

#5852036 - 03/20/17 03:17 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
reddawg Offline
trapper

Loc: Kent Co. Delaware
Mine was doing that,,,got a new regulator. Awesome now.

#5852038 - 03/20/17 03:18 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
charles Offline
trapper

Loc: Asheville, NC
Put your propane tank in a bucket of warm water. Learned this from an HVAC man. Try another hose and regulator. I have a propane smoker that will not make enough heat when my tank is low.

#5852043 - 03/20/17 03:28 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
trapr Offline
trapper

Loc: idaho falls idaho

As said,rust ,spider webs,hornet nests in the burner,bad diaphragm in the regulator and not enough "volume" in the propane tank.turkey cooker is high pressure and uses a lot of propane in a hurry.my best guess,clean the burner and the air inflow and see what happens.

#5852134 - 03/20/17 05:39 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
BigBob Offline
trapper

Loc: St. Louis Co, Mo
Did you try adjusting the air flow valve? It's the little plate with the hourglass holes in it where the gas line enters the plenum.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!

#5852143 - 03/20/17 05:54 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
chas3457 Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska, Dawson County
Depending on the model/maker, it could be a design flaw.

I have two different double burners from Cabelas. Made from the finest Chineseium money can buy. One of them is a real POS. Hard to get many BTUs out of it, whether the air flow is manipulated or not.

FULL tanks seem to help a little.

Charlie

NRA Life Member ~ UNMLA Annual Member

#5852144 - 03/20/17 05:54 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
Finster Offline
trapper

Loc: Fredonia, PA.
Did you have the burner on when you opened the tank? If so, turn the tank off, close the burner and then turn the tank back on. If the burner is on when you open the tank, it will trick the check valve and it will close part way. It happens on my grill and smoker.

#5852192 - 03/20/17 06:45 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
Drakej Offline
trapper

Air flow plate changed flame very, very little. Finster, I had it off and on so many times diddling with it I can't be sure so I will try order you suggest. Replacement regulator is under $10.

#5852234 - 03/20/17 07:26 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
Drifter Offline

Loc: Oakland, MS
Sounds like mason bees might have clogged the hose on you. That burner should burn like the burners on a kitchen stove.

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .

#5852239 - 03/20/17 07:29 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Finster]
jeremy brua Offline
trapper

Loc: Volant Pa.
Originally Posted By: Finster
Did you have the burner on when you opened the tank? If so, turn the tank off, close the burner and then turn the tank back on. If the burner is on when you open the tank, it will trick the check valve and it will close part way. It happens on my grill and smoker.

These new tanks are junk!

i can do it because i dont know that i cant.

Ný ˛igear leisg bodach brisg

#5852293 - 03/20/17 08:13 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
Coonman300 Offline
trapper

Loc: Alabama
Google bayou classic bg10 burner. Mine was doing the same thing. You can replace it for $10-$20 depending on size. Mine was 10 years old so it was time for a new one.

#5852586 - 03/21/17 06:43 AM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Finster]
OhioBoy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
I learned this the hard way. I never used to turn my burners off and would just turn off the tank. Well when you come back the next go around and turn the tank on and hit the igniter it lights but the flame sucks b/c the regulator doesn't open all the way up. The burners need to be off when you turn the tank on and the regulator needs to see the pressure to open all they way up. If the burners are on already there is no pressure and the regulator doesn't open all the way up.

Originally Posted By: Finster

#5852592 - 03/21/17 06:51 AM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
Gary Benson Offline
trapper

Loc: Sandhills Nebraska
Try a different tank of propane too. I have one with a bad tank valve.Replace the valve for $20 or trade it in to Blue Rhino for a different tank. Full!

#5852605 - 03/21/17 07:21 AM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
Blue Rhino is a rip off. Tanks are not full. You get more gas at a place that refills them. Usually for less money.

#5852704 - 03/21/17 08:55 AM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
Drakej Offline
trapper

Its not the tank because it fires my ceramics kiln weekly. Be aware tank exchanges only fill their tanks to 14-15 lbs. I have a place that actually charges for lbs fillled so I don't have to run them dry(which for me is important because switching empty tanks during a firing is not good. It sounds like the burner SHOULD be operating better so I will do some rebuilding/cleaning and recheck the order of opening gas valves. Replace reg if needed. Thanks for the info.

#5853116 - 03/21/17 05:22 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: danny clifton]
BigBob Offline
trapper

Loc: St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Blue Rhino is a rip off. Tanks are not full. You get more gas at a place that refills them. Usually for less money.

He's talking dumping a tank with a bad valve.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!

#5853186 - 03/21/17 06:31 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Drakej]
JakeDog Offline
trapper

Loc: Morehead city NC
Dirt dobber mud wasp whatever you call them they will ruin one in a second. I keep my burner covered with plastic or such to keep dust and grime out. Other places with holes too to keep dirt dobbers out.

Confidence is going fly fishing for Moby Dick, in a row boat, and bringing tartar sauce with you.

#5853267 - 03/21/17 07:28 PM Re: weak flame on a turkey fryer [Re: Wright Brothers]
Dfabs Offline
trapper

Loc: Morgantown, WV
Originally Posted By: Wright Brothers
Have to take mine apart regularly to clean out spider webs and stink bugs.

Mine too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >