No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5861934 - 03/30/17 11:13 AM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevadafornia
Thank you! Thank you!!

I cannot repay you but I promise to be more vigilant and more involved in the battles ALL trappers face.

#5861939 - 03/30/17 11:16 AM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
Lazarus Offline
trapper

For you Nevada trappers, the hearing on SB364 and SB 365, the two anti-trapping bills, will be held Tuesday April 4, probably at 1:00 pm. It will be videoconferenced to Vegas and Elko. PLEASE ATTEND THE MEETING. You don't necessarily have to say anything. If anything, you can just stand up and say, "I agree with what Joel or John said."

This will be do or die time. I hope by now you've all emailed and called the Senators on the Natural Resources Committee. Please attend this meeting.

#5862099 - 03/30/17 03:59 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
MoCat Offline
trapper

Loc: Humboldt County, NV
Where will the videoconference be held in Elko as I plan on attending.
Morris

#5862107 - 03/30/17 04:18 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: MoCat]
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: MoCat
Where will the videoconference be held in Elko as I plan on attending.
Morris

USUALLY at Great Basin College in room 118 of the Greenshaw Technical Arts Building.1500 College Pkwy

#5862272 - 03/30/17 08:05 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
murderspolywog Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevada
Nevada keeps this up and I will be looking for more freindly grounds to move my family. Thanks for the heads up I put my opinion in.

#5863734 - 04/01/17 03:42 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
kytrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Kentucky
Helped just now from Kentucky.

#5865241 - 04/02/17 11:35 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
ram345 Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Pa.
Done x 2 with comments!

#5865847 - 04/03/17 07:33 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
dustytinner Offline
trapper

Loc: Money Creek, MN
Voted

#5867680 - 04/05/17 01:25 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Thanks from all your help, from all around the country. Just an update.

We had a hearing on the two bills yesterday before the Senate Natural Resources Committee. These are just informational hearings where the bills are formally presented and then the bill proponents get to say their peace, and those opposing the bills get to say theirs.

The bill proponent gave a slide show of the typical gruesome photos that you always hear about. The presentation was short on specifics, and completely absent of science or biology. Several times the bill presenter admitted "there are other people in this room who know a lot more about this than I do" (referring to the trappers in the room). Her presentation was followed by a dozen accounts of "more mature" women who had experiences walking their dogs out in the wilderness when they suddenly realized their dog was missing, only to find him or her in a trap, maimed for life. Several of the stories took place on private land from trespassing trappers. There was one veterinarian who testified she had treated "hundreds" of trap-mangled dogs, and knew instantly that the average vet bill for such maimings was $2,500 to $7,500 (I knew I should have gone to vet school). Nearly every speaker said something to the effect that they opposed ALL trapping and wanted ALL trapping prohibited, but these bills would pacify them for the time being.

Finally, it was time for the opposition. There was a group of about 32 folks from Elko who were able to testify via video conference (there were no antis in Elko . . . note to self, check into moving to Elko). They had great comments from ranchers, biologists, woolgrowers and trappers. In Carson City, where the hearing was being held, the brains of the outfit, Joel Blakeslee testified about the science and biology of current laws, and the absence of any scientific or biological data presented by the proponents. The group in Carson City had other professionals (again, biologists, etc.) who opposed the bills for a host of reasons. There were another 15-18 people in Las Vegas who provided similar testimony. Most of their testimony related to prior legislation that had derived from the Senate Natural Resources Committee which had enacted measures to prohibit trapping near populated areas, hiking trails and roads, or had imposed shorted trap visitation in these areas to 48 hours.

It will now be up to the Chair of the Senate Natural Resources Committee to determine whether, and if so when, to hold a workshop hearing at which time the Committee may hear selected testimony of their choosing and then will vote to decide whether to pass the bills on to a vote by the full Senate. If the measures pass the full Senate, then they will go over to the Assembly (kind of like the House of Representatives on the national level), and the process will start all over again. One of the bills would require trap registration and impose a $10 fee on trappers to obtain a registration number. Because the bill imposes a fee, it must pass each house by a 2/3 majority vote.

You can still submit your opinions on the Legislative website page, and you may still email or write to the Senators on the Natural Resources Committee. The 5 member committee is made up of 2 Republicans (who will probably vote against the bills) and three Democrats (two of whom will no doubt vote in favor of the bills. The third Senator is the Committee chair and she will be the swing vote. The fate of our heritage is literally in her hands).

Edited by Lazarus (04/05/17 01:28 PM)

#5867712 - 04/05/17 01:57 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
wolferman Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa & Neb
Lazarus...the thanks go to you. If I ever travel west I owe you coffee and breakfast. Small price to pay someone who has commited so much...Larry

#5867804 - 04/05/17 04:04 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
Tendertoes Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Nevada
Thank you Laz, for everything you have done and continue to do for Nevada. We live in a pretty awesome state filled with open land. It would become almost impossible for us to trap if these bills move forward.

Again, much thanks and appreciation for supporting those of us who couldn't make it personally.

#5867831 - 04/05/17 04:48 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
nvsage Offline
trapper

Loc: NV
Nothing going on up here in Elko Lazarus!

#5868308 - 04/06/17 12:01 AM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
cat_trapper_nv Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Nevada
We all owe a big thanks to Tracy, Joel, and John. They put in a lot of time and effort into our trapping association. If it wasn't for them, trapping would have been stopped awhile ago. Thanks a ton for the work you do!!!!

#5868317 - 04/06/17 12:48 AM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
ScottFree Offline
trapper

I want to report my take on the video conferenced hearing on the 2 Nevada anti-trapping bills. Then I would like some input from you all. Either of these bills would essentially end trapping as we know it in Nevada.

The hearing was held yesterday in the capitol and Elko and Las Vegas. I had prepared my 2 minute remarks but after hearing the chairman say that we shouldn't say negative things about the opposing side, I had to abandon my notes and wing it. What I had written was that this is basically a clash of cultures and belief systems. The anti's believe trapping is wrong, I believe it is a necessity to manage certain specie populations to keep them healthy and thriving. The difference is that I am not trying to force them to go trapping or eat meat or wear wool. (Yeah, the PETA's even oppose shearing wool from sheep.) But they are trying to force their beliefs on me by banning trapping. Therefore they are extremist zealots and fanantic fascists. Ha.
The testimony I actually made was probably less than effective. I just tried to argue against trap registration information being made public and the 24 hour visitation requirement. But many of our supporters did made strong, effective arguments against the bills.

However, over-all I am sorry to say, I think the anti's made stronger presentations. They made a power point presentation to start, complete with the most grusome pictures they could dig up. Then there seemed to be endless personal stories, many with pictures, of their dogs being caught in traps. I couldn't tell if these incidents happened before or after the ban on trapping in populated areas went into effect 2 years ago. I think some of them were lying. But they spoke out with the confidence and assurance of the self-righteous who believe they have God on their side. And hey, if God is on your side, it's ok to lie if it's for a good cause, right.

Not all, but many on our side spoke more humbly. One fellow in Elko testified that the antis made him feel like he was guilty of something terrible and that he was a bad person, when he knew he wasn't. The most powerful point in our favor was made by a trapper in Elko who stuck each hand into a trap and got himself caught. He left the traps on his hands while he continued to talk for two minutes. One was a coil spring, the other was a #3 double spring. Not sure I could ever make myself do that. He implied that all the horror stories told by the dog owners were greatly exaggerated.

Here is what bothers me most; I think that most neutral people, people without a position, people who had never thought about trapping one way or the other; I think they would have been swayed in favor of the anti's. This why wildlife regulations should be in the hands of the biologists at Dept. of Wildlife and the state Wildlife Commission and not be micro managed by the voting public.

So here are my questions: is there a source we can go to where all the arguments for trapping are accessible when we need them. And how do we gain the moral high ground in this argument? After all, there is some pain and suffering involved in our sport and we do not eat what we kill. I could say, well there is pain and suffering in nature. Predators often torture their prey to death. They wound it, then play with it. They don't do it to be cruel. They do it for practice and to keep their hunting skills sharp. But will that fact convince a non-trapper that it is righteous sport. Even some of my friends who are hunters, would not trap. And even when we are not fighting legislation, we should all be prepared to be good representatives and public relations spokesmen when we are asked about trapping by someone.

For me, nothing is as rewarding as the challenge and anticipation I feel when scouting, making sets, and checking traps. Even when I don't catch anything, there is nothing I would rather be doing. But how do we overcome the objections of those who would deny us the privilege? The more I think about it, the more I think my original argument was best. If you get down into the specifics of pain and suffering, not eating the kill, and whether people should even be wearing animals skins; I am not sure we can win in the court of public opinion. The anti's come at these issues with a religious fervor. It may be best to just say look, we have freedom of belief in this country but you and I believe differently. I am not trying to force you to accept my beliefs or to do anything you don't believe in. How dare you try and force your beliefs on me.

#5868323 - 04/06/17 01:51 AM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: cat_trapper_nv]
ScottFree Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: cat_trapper_nv
We all owe a big thanks to Tracy, Joel, and John. They put in a lot of time and effort into our trapping association. If it wasn't for them, trapping would have been stopped awhile ago. Thanks a ton for the work you do!!!!

I second that!!!

#5868601 - 04/06/17 10:31 AM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: ScottFree]
Lazarus Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: ScottFree
I
So here are my questions: is there a source we can go to where all the arguments for trapping are accessible when we need them. And how do we gain the moral high ground in this argument? After all, there is some pain and suffering involved in our sport and we do not eat what we kill. I could say, well there is pain and suffering in nature. Predators often torture their prey to death. They wound it, then play with it. They don't do it to be cruel. They do it for practice and to keep their hunting skills sharp. But will that fact convince a non-trapper that it is righteous sport. Even some of my friends who are hunters, would not trap. And even when we are not fighting legislation, we should all be prepared to be good representatives and public relations spokesmen when we are asked about trapping by someone.

Yes, ScottFree, there is a source --- and good ole' NDOW provides it, free of charge. Its the Furbearer Management Plan they published some years back. It has statements by wildlife groups, conservation groups, and even the American Veterinary Association (who supports trapping, contrary to the rogue Vet who testified at the hearing).
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/77th2013/Exhibits/Assembly/NRAM/ANRAM1099R.pdf

#5868793 - 04/06/17 02:32 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
ScottFree Offline
trapper

Thank you Lazarus! This is exactly what I was looking for. Anyone looking for scientific, evidence based arguments for leg hold trapping can find it here.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/77th2013/Exhibits/Assembly/NRAM/ANRAM1099R.pdf

Maybe guys from other states can post similar studies and documents from their state departments of wildlife. This is how we can take back the moral high ground.

Well meaning as some of the anti's may be, they are simply misguided. If their efforts to outlaw trapping are successful, they will destroy the conservation movement. Fur bearers will become over-populated and subject devastating diseases that will cause much more pain and suffering than trapping. Species may even be wiped out in some regions. And some of these same people may be coming back to the legislature with tear soaked testimony of their pets being eaten by predators in the suburbs.

The City of Henderson website already has a full page predator alert notify residents that pets are falling prey to bobcats in suburban Henderson. The page offers instruction on what to do if you find a predator in your backyard. Imagine how much worse this will get if trapping is banned. What will take get the anti's to see the light? A predator attack on a toddler?

Wish I had had this info before the hearing Tuesday. Maybe this thread and this subject could be given it's own forum. I would urge all trappers to be prepared to defend your sport. Do not under-estimate the anti's. They are highly motivated, well organized, and well prepared. They come across as very to convincing to the general public. We must not take common sense for grated. We are in right when we defend the Conservation Movement. It is sportsmen who fund the Conservation Movement. It is sportsmen who have restored habitats and species once in decline. It is sportsmen who will continue to help preserve wildlife as human population continues encroach on their habitat.

#5870107 - 04/07/17 04:11 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
GrimYoter Offline
trapper

#5870557 - 04/07/17 11:20 PM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: GrimYoter]
ScottFree Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: GrimYoter

Does anyone have any ideas how we could locate some of the folks who have had pets attacked or pets gone missing probably due to predators or those who have had uncomfortable close encounters with predators. If we could enlist their support for trapping as the most effective and humane way to manage predator populations, that might really get the attention of some legislators.

Also, I have heard there have been instances of schools in the Las Vegas area being put on lock down due to predator sightings nearby.

Edited by ScottFree (04/07/17 11:29 PM)

#5872674 - 04/10/17 09:51 AM Re: NEVADA TO OUTLAW TRAPPING [Re: Lazarus]
Gary Benson Offline
trapper

Loc: Sandhills Nebraska
Like CO, Wash, OR, FLA, if the majority of the population is city dwellers, the voting wont go your way. Bunny huggers.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >