No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5854613 - 03/23/17 10:36 AM Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
Removed this from the "simplification of WI regs" post and starting a new thread here.

Compromise is good. I believe we all understand the issues. So let's proceed forward.

I'd like to address the back end first. Closure dates. We get this figured out then we go to the front end. That is, if you're in favor of zones. If you fear zones, then you might as well watch reruns of I Love Lucy instead of keeping up with this thread 'cause this is a zone train heading down the tracks.

Those of us who trap 'rats into late winter understand why a later closure is important. I've trapped 'rats right up to the closure dates we have recently and have found insignificant damage. The question, IMO, is when do 'rats exhibit an unacceptable percentage of damaged pelts.

That to me is the important question, since I'm basing this resolution on muskrat fur primeness.

Also, I don't want to tie the closure dates to beaver/otter seasons. They are, IMO, too fluid at this time, and if closed earlier than expected, we'd see our 'rat/mink season closed earlier than expected. Also, the front end of beaver/otter is later than many would want. So IMO, keep this is a separate issue and not mention beaver/otter closure dates.

With that in mind . . . and now thinking two zones (not suggesting it, just groundwork to build on) what about March 15th in the south and April 15th in the north.

I'm speaking as an extreme southern Wisconsin trapper. That's from my perspective. We've got geese building nests on 'rat huts by then and the marsh is alive with critters.

I don't have a clue as to how April 15th would look to a northern trapper with respect to the arrival of spring. Or how does March 15th look to a trapper in the same latitude say as La Crosse. Dunno. Let's play with the dates a little, and if you suggest a date explain why you picked that date.

We've got time.

We can hoop your beaver mountain man style!

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com/hoop%20your%20pelt/index_hoop_your_pelt.html

#5854616 - 03/23/17 10:37 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

And while I'm thinking about it . . . if we had three zones, I'd suggest March 15th, March 31st, and April 15th.

#5854642 - 03/23/17 11:12 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
handitrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
Ok. You don't want to align with beaver? I can compromise.

2 zones; Hwy. 64 dividing line.
North: 3rd Saturday in October thru March 31st
South: 1st Saturday in November thru March 31st

Edited by handitrapper (03/26/17 06:05 PM)

#5854665 - 03/23/17 11:31 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: handitrapper]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: handitrapper
Ok. You don't want to align with beaver? I can compromise.

2 zones; Hwy. 64 dividing line.
North: 3rd Saturday in October thru March 31st
South: 1st Saturday in November thru March 31st

Thought the northern guys wanted to push it into April?

#5854673 - 03/23/17 11:40 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: N. Wisconsin
Yes, April no earlier than 15th. Still water here is locked up tight and ice out is at least several weeks away. Normal ice out is middle of April. 3 years ago it was May 15th, last year, which was extremely rare it was March 20th.

Fur quality wise slight damage brings 75-80 percent of I-II's in recent years. These usually occur about two weeks after ice out.

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

#5854684 - 03/23/17 11:45 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Damage do to a late closer shouldn't be a concern. We as trappers can regulate that.
I trap ND In the spring and the marshes are full of water fowl. Haven't caught a duck or goose yet. Not saying It can't happen but In most cases It's not going to be a big deal by March 31st down here.

South closing date March 31st. This was a exceptional year for early Ice out. I don't think we can count on that every year. Opening date 1st Saturday In Nov.
You guys In the north can wade In on what trips your triggers.

#5854691 - 03/23/17 11:50 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Woke up to this today. Lots of guys still ice fishing and driving vehicle on lakes. Yes the river in background is open where there is current but edges still ice. Small creeks are 95 percent ice, marshes and beaver ponds total ice. March 31 ending is too soon north of 64. April 15th is better but April 30 is best. If we get an early ice out some year and rats are too big up just STOP trapping.

#5854698 - 03/23/17 11:57 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Kelly Offline
trapper

If we are to address opening I can live with current North zone opener. When it was third Saturday in October I never set a trap because felt it was too early. Fourth Saturday is fine with me. First Saturday of November is too late.

Absolutely keep the Zones like before, North of 64 is one zone. How one wants to divide the Southern two thirds of the State is up to others that live there.

#5854718 - 03/23/17 12:15 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

I do favor 3 zones, mostly for the back end. Beav has a very good point, tho. With 3 I like March 15, 31 and April 15 from south to north. If you have to date it although it will vary from year to year.

Back in the 80s when the refuge cut back the season from April 15 to March 31 we got a 10 day extension each year for the first two. The drought came in 88, it took the rats with it and when I returned in the early 90s new management had slashed our seasons and equipment. Little interest and no rats is still causing hardship for todays participants. We expected 10 days of open water then, which basically constitutes the breed. I am unsure what todays trappers are looking for in that regard.

Edited by nimzy (03/23/17 12:15 PM)

#5854721 - 03/23/17 12:18 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

And make no mistake about it, March is a wild and difficult month.

#5854734 - 03/23/17 12:36 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
I would favor a 3 zone season with the lines being say hwy 21 and 64 with the south below 21 and the central between 21 and 64. It does not have to be those exact major breaks or hwys but I do believe we need to understand that if we look at winter beginning and leaving there is more difference many years between Wausau or Medford and Hayward than Wausau and Janesville, so some attention to the much longer and colder winter with more snow needs to be discussed for the north.
As to ending dates March 31st, April 15th and April 30th would make sense to me South to north.

I think if we can get agreement on closing we can then work on openers.

Bryce

#5854735 - 03/23/17 12:38 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Since all my trapping property is 1/4 mile south of 64 I sure don't support November start date. Also coinciding with rut for deer.

#5854738 - 03/23/17 12:40 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
handitrapper Offline
trapper

Muskrat, you were looking for ideas? And that's mine. North would be getting more on the front. IMO, that's something that they always seem to have strived for? Sorry Kelly. Don't mean to offend. Although I'm sure it does. Just how I feel.

#5854747 - 03/23/17 12:50 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

Bryce, do we want to split up the old Winnebago block? That is what we would be doing by putting the line at 21.

IMO, you would want to keep the heart of that together, but am curious on your thoughts. You have convinced me before.

#5854775 - 03/23/17 01:28 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: handitrapper]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: handitrapper
Muskrat, you were looking for ideas? And that's mine. North would be getting more on the front. IMO, that's something that they always seem to have strived for? Sorry Kelly. Don't mean to offend. Although I'm sure it does. Just how I feel.

No offense taken. My main concern about opening dates in the North is all about mink and when ice comes. The vast majority of mink caught happens before ice comes. Rats are just incidentals to my mink trapping.

#5854782 - 03/23/17 01:34 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
DecoyMacoy Offline
trapper

Loc: Black Creek, Wisconsin
I would love to be able to trap rats until the end of March here in NE WI. It would open a lot of opportunity for me as I don't see myself trapping fall rats in the near future. Caught a huge prime rat this morning in a 330 (bank den set for Beaver), would love to have a pile of them to skin!

Whats the best way to get my opinion to the right people? Who do I email, call, etc? I've done a lot work in regards to Waterfowl issues through meetings, emails and organizing but the trapping stuff is new to me. No offense to anyone involved in the CC but I see it as only one small tool in the box.

#5854806 - 03/23/17 01:59 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

Good thread

#5854818 - 03/23/17 02:10 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
Not really as I stated 21 is a major hwy but it does not have to be that route. The main reason for me to advocate 3 is that is what we had for a generation and we seemed to function well with that until rats hit $15. Also my main reason for three is that there is a huge difference or much longer winter earlier and later in the north and I feel we need to respect that fact. Hwy 64 is becoming even more of a boundary point with otter tags soon to be even more based on that as well as other options and even other sporting events. As stated prior there is more difference between Medford and say Mellen than Medford and Baraboo and we need to recognize that and if we want to do it with two zones fine, if 3 that works for me as well and if we want to move the 2nd hwy line to honor some of the older boundaries I don't have objection to that. I feel the Winnebago Zone trappers would be the best ones to relate to which line would be best if there would be a line there.

If we were going to line up closing dates with ice outs then a month difference between South to north would probably be the most accurate. On the other end then if we wanted to try and give all areas similar open water access before hard ice then we need to understand that stagger is significant as well.

Bryce

#5854840 - 03/23/17 02:31 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Kelly Offline
trapper

A friend of mine who now lives in South Dakota(rat season closes April 30) used to live in Northern WI sent me the following information just a bit ago.

"I lived 21 years on a small lake outside of Iron River Wi and kept exact ice out dates. For those 21 years(1979-99) the average ice out date was April 22. Ponds were likely a day or two earlier."

Just for reference Iron River is approximately 60 miles North of me and Hwy 64 is approx. 30 miles south, give or take a couple miles on either end. Another item that concerns our climate in the north is elevation. We are 1000 feet and more higher than many in the South. Where I live it is over 1500 feet and there are places nearby that approach 2000 feet. One can associate a 10 degree different per 1000 feet, so increase in elevation means colder temps. Couple that with Latitude changes and one can understand the huge differences in climate between North and South.

I could easily understand and accept three Zones here like it used to be.

Very nicely stated, Bryce!

Mike, whatever we/you come up with for a resolution I will be happy to take it to the Price County CC meeting in a couple weeks.

#5854872 - 03/23/17 02:59 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Kelly Offline
trapper

FYI
Boscobel is 669 feet elevation, 43.16 degrees North Latitude and 44 degrees.

Horicon is 902 feet elevation, 43.50 degrees North Latitude and 45 degrees.

Stevens Point is 1115 feet elevation, 44.50 degrees North Latitude and 41.9 degrees.

Medford(which is on Hwy 64) is 1400 feet elevation, 45.09 degrees North Latitude and 37.4 degrees.

Where I live in Price County it is 1539 feet elevation, 45.64 degrees North Latitude and 36.8 degrees.

Mellen is 1549 feet elevation, 46.14 degrees North Latitude and 35 degrees.

Iron River is 1259 feet elevation, 46.59 degrees North Latitude and 35 degrees.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 ... 24 25 >