No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5854886 - 03/23/17 03:23 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Kelly]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
Interesting stats Kelly. Let's see, what was that rule in biology about degrees difference per X number of feet in altitude?

Altitude affects climate in that the higher up you get, the more the temperature drops. The temperature goes down roughly 4 degrees Fahrenheit for every 1,000 feet you climb.

Wasn't there also a rule about change in degrees of latitude equals how many days change in the season?

For some reason the number four sticks in my mind . . . four days change in season as you progress northward for ___ change in latitude.

???

Was it each degree change in latitude?

We hoop beaver!!

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com

#5854921 - 03/23/17 03:57 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
As far as the 3 zones. I think mr Mathiak had it right. I agree with Marshrat that the heart of rat country should be kept within a zone

#5854923 - 03/23/17 04:00 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

Later end dates were progressive thinking during that time period and were only tested after his recommendations were already placed

#5854934 - 03/23/17 04:11 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

stumbled across this while accessing info on Mathiak

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/ss/SS0029.pdf

We hoop beaver!!

#5854939 - 03/23/17 04:19 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: N. Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Muskrat
Interesting stats Kelly. Let's see, what was that rule in biology about degrees difference per X number of feet in altitude?

Altitude affects climate in that the higher up you get, the more the temperature drops. The temperature goes down roughly 4 degrees Fahrenheit for every 1,000 feet you climb.

Wasn't there also a rule about change in degrees of latitude equals how many days change in the season?

For some reason the number four sticks in my mind . . . four days change in season as you progress northward for ___ change in latitude.

???

Was it each degree change in latitude?

Never learned that in school but then could understand the 4 degree change per 1000t and/or per 1 degree latitude. Using the above todays statistics of 10 degrees difference between Boscobel and Iron River where there is about 800 feet more elevation and 2+ degrees North that number 4 works out pretty good.

When I lived/trapped in the mountains of Colorado and Idaho, while living at approx. 5200-4000 feet elevation respectively freezing temps came in Sept above 8000 feet, whereas where I lived it was fully two months later in Idaho and nearly 3 in Colorado(it was rare to have ice on still waters for more than a month during winter down low and 7 months or more up high-some 5000 feet higher. There everyone talked about 10 degrees change for every 1000 feet indication that elevation might have more of an effect.

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

#5855208 - 03/23/17 08:12 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Kelly]
LURKER ONE Offline
trapper

Loc: dead center wisconsin
why cannt we manage furbearers on a county by county basis like deer
instead of cdac county deer advisory councils.
it could be county furbearer advisory councils CFAC

#5855236 - 03/23/17 08:33 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: LURKER ONE]
Zim Offline
trapper

Loc: Rock Springs, WI
One thing I do know about temperature is that it is always colder in the marsh in the morning than anywhere else. March 15 here in south central Wisconsin is useless in most years, it is either thin ice or high water.

Zim

#5855298 - 03/23/17 09:26 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
handitrapper Offline
trapper

We don't all trap rats & mink in the same types of areas. Meaning that some of us trap creeks, rivers, & drainage ditches. Others on lakes or ponds. And some on marshes, both big & small. These bodies of water freeze & thaw at different times. No matter your geographic location in the state. Just something else to consider?

#5855301 - 03/23/17 09:27 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
AJE Online   content
trapper

Loc: WI - Wisconsin
Good point handi.

Edited by AJE (03/23/17 09:28 PM)

#5855303 - 03/23/17 09:29 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I don't think we can or need to go past March 31 In the Southern zone.

#5855310 - 03/23/17 09:32 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
handitrapper Offline
trapper

I agree 100% with that Beav

#5855474 - 03/24/17 07:26 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Although I have trapped a ton of rats In April and Into May out west and still got real good money for them.

#5855503 - 03/24/17 07:54 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
wildlifehunter Offline
trapper

No earlier than April 15 in the north.

#5855517 - 03/24/17 08:12 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

I haven't seen any objections towards zones on here. I think there is a small minority with a strong voice that may oppose them. Over time they could even come to their senses.

I think we should start by reestablishing the zones and build off that. Then address the back end as Bryce stated finally finish up on the front. I liked the old zone system and think the wdnr would easily go along with it as it is tested and proven.

Just because we have different zones doesn't mean 2 zones couldn't share a start or end date.

Thinkin out loud

#5855601 - 03/24/17 09:51 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

That works for me.

So . . . two zones or three.

Here's why I support three zones. The extreme southern portion of Wisconsin has been dubbed what a friend of mine calls the "Banana Belt." Lakes will sometimes not freeze over 'til after deer season, and by mid-March geese are sitting on 'rat huts with eggs.

Early November is early enough for us to start harvesting muskrats. But I'm thinking the trappers in the middle of the state would like an earlier start than say the first Saturday in November. And I'm also thinking the northern trappers would like to start a little bit earlier than the mid-state trappers. Hence the three zones.

An another point, which I've brought up numerous times but seems to get ignored. Our Iowa brothers due west of this part of Wisconsin didn't start trapping 'rats and mink 'til November 7th this past season. I believe it's been that way for quite awhile. There must be some reason they don't start trapping 'rats 'til November, eh?

Meaning northern Iowa and southern Wisconsin share the same lines of latitude. In fact, northern Iowa is actually north of what I'd call the "southern zone" of Wisconsin. Our climate is very similar.

So . . I'd like to see three zones.

Want a boundary for the southern extent of the middle zone? Start at Highway 60 near Prairie du Chien and go due east. Highway 60 runs across the state, but angles up a bit in the middle. IMO, this would be a good boundary for the southern/middle zones.

We hoop beaver!!

#5855701 - 03/24/17 11:16 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
handitrapper Offline
trapper

I would go along with that Muskrat. I'm fine with 3 zones, but 2 are would work under most circumstances. IMO. Maybe we should leave start date as it is now with the common opener? Let the trappers decide when to begin? Just work on changing the closure dates by 2-3 weeks?

If we're going to push for zones? Might as well fight for the season dates for the zones, right along with it?

Edited by handitrapper (03/24/17 12:17 PM)

#5855769 - 03/24/17 01:08 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
keets Offline
trapper

Loc: chelsea,wi
Friend of mine near Neillsville.combatting lawn wreckers this week

#5855780 - 03/24/17 01:30 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
keets Offline
trapper

Loc: chelsea,wi
Pictures worth a thousand words

#5855821 - 03/24/17 02:45 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Wasn't It the DNR that nixed the 3 zones to begin with?I thought It was under the guise of simplification.

Don't nix a march 31st closer just because of a few geese. Stools and floats shine In the spring and geese and ducks aren't going to climb up on them.

#5855835 - 03/24/17 03:04 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: N. Wisconsin
I could accept either two or three zones. Start date in North Saturday closest to Oct. 21 or thereabouts, preferring not earlier by too much. This year it would be the 21st. Ending date of April 30.

Won't begin to tell those in other zones what those dates might be. That said, when I lived in the middle zone, when we had three plus Mississippi and Horicon, each opening staggered by a week was very happy with that. Even then wished the season went longer.

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 ... 22 23 >