No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 20 of 25 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 24 25 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5871317 - 04/08/17 08:52 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
Here is the template Nimzy:
http://dnr.wi.gov/About/WCC/Documents/spring_hearing/2017.ResolutionTemplate.doc

I do have that one on file already but am not at my computer. Will post tomorrow.

#5871590 - 04/09/17 08:03 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

Muskrats, Access effects conservation

Problem.  Early season access promotes harvest of smaller and inferior (unfinished) skins.  Muskrats are late primers.  Extending the season would offer the opportunity to produce much larger,  finished goods.  This creates value and encourages wise use.

WI has the earliest start dates of all our surrounding states, we start from days to weeks earlier.  Start dates are important because of the immediate pressure they put on the resource, coupled by the amount of skins produced during that period. 

The Goal of this resolution is to provide WI trappers the opportunity to experience the benefits of producing later season goods. These benefits include:

1.  Value.  Larger and fully prime goods.  ~30% of harvest (size Large and down) in October, if deferred to March will double in value, by size alone.

2.  Access.  Upcoming breeding season triggers increased movement.  Longer daylight hours adds opportunity.

3.  Competition.  Less interference with other user groups.

4.  Future.  A step towards better harvest practices.  

WI is a long state.  Historical zone system is included.  Zones and furbearers are science based.

In WI, muskrats are an abundant, keystone specie of our fur trade. Their inherent ability to reproduce insures a bright future.

Be it resolved that; 
The State of Wisconsin adapts a trapping season change to restructure the Muskrat/Mink seasons as follows;

Northern Zone: Saturday of or following Oct 23 thru April 15
Central Zone :   Saturday of or following Oct 27 thru March 31
Southern Zone: Saturday of or following Oct 31 thru March 25....

Comments? Edits? Debates?

Edited by nimzy (04/10/17 10:31 AM)

#5871597 - 04/09/17 08:11 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Minn
Well thought out and presented Nimzy, the only thing I would change is the end date in zone 3 to the 31st. Good Luck.

#5871727 - 04/09/17 11:09 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

Thanks for the comment Rat! One comment?

Mathiak, a past WI scientist, spent a career, doing a 26 year long muskrat study. Near the end of that study, I believe, he was asked to provide a resource management plan. He recommended zones. His work seemed very thorough and interactive with trappers. For that time, the ideas were progressive. I chose to respect his guidance.

As Marshrat mentioned, these are guides and likely will be negotiated.

#5871775 - 04/09/17 12:03 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
handitrapper Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: nimzy
Muskrats, Access effects conservation

Problem.  Early season access promotes harvest of smaller and inferior (unfinished) skins.  Muskrats are late primers.  Extending the season would offer the opportunity to produce much larger,  finished goods.  This creates value and encourages wise use.

WI has the earliest start dates of all our surrounding states, we start from days to weeks earlier.  Start dates are important because of the immediate pressure they put on the resource, and the amount of skins produced during that period. 

The Goal of this resolution is to provide WI trappers the opportunity to experience the benefits of producing later season goods. These benefits include:

No debates! Go with it.
1.  Value.  Larger and fully prime goods.  30+% of harvest (size Large and down) in October, if deferred to March will double in value, by size alone.

2.  Access.  Upcoming breeding season triggers increased movement.  Longer daylight hours adds opportunity.

3.  Competition.  Less interference with other user groups.

4.  Future.  A step to lead to better harvest practices.  

WI is a long state.  Historical zone system is included.  Zones and furbearers are science based.

In WI, muskrats are an abundant, keystone specie of our fur trade. Their inherent ability to reproduce insures a bright future.

Be it resolved that; 
The State of Wisconsin adapts a trapping season change to restructure the Muskrat/Mink seasons as follows;

None! Go with it.

Edited by handitrapper (04/09/17 12:04 PM)

#5871836 - 04/09/17 01:25 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Steven 49er Online   content
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
Git R Done

#5872025 - 04/09/17 06:12 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

I like it Nimzy... If you want to have a few more put in, you could always ask the guys that put in a resolution last year.

#5872114 - 04/09/17 07:24 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

Anyone is more than welcome to use this idea. If it fails in my county and passes in yours I would be happy to attend the CC meeting and help defend it.

This will be my last rodeo on this subject...lessen somebody pizzes me off!

#5872133 - 04/09/17 07:41 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Steven 49er Online   content
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
Oh if it doesnt get passed you are going to get bent out of shape lol.

It wont help that I will be sitting back here instigating lol. You guys have to get this passed so I can take the same shot here some day.

#5872152 - 04/09/17 07:57 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
nimzy Offline
trapper

...lessen somebody pizzes me off!

Minnesotans don't count, Steve! Hey, thanks for your input!! All you fellas!

#5872408 - 04/09/17 11:26 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
I will attend my county meeting tomorrow. I will take at least one resolution and that one is to make our assistant fur bearer biologist position a full time DNR position.
If I take another one such as rat seasons I would probably take something very similar to our old 3 zone system we had before all the changes. it worked for nearly 50 years and through many price ups and downs and influx and exodus of many trappers and that is about as good a testimony as anything I have seen posted on similar issues of late and it is a known situation to our DNR staff and biologists.

Bryce

#5872465 - 04/10/17 05:35 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: bblwi]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: bblwi
I will attend my county meeting tomorrow. I will take at least one resolution and that one is to make our assistant fur bearer biologist position a full time DNR position.
If I take another one such as rat seasons I would probably take something very similar to our old 3 zone system we had before all the changes. it worked for nearly 50 years and through many price ups and downs and influx and exodus of many trappers and that is about as good a testimony as anything I have seen posted on similar issues of late and it is a known situation to our DNR staff and biologists.

Bryce

X2 on both resolutions

We can hoop your beaver mountain man style!

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com/hoop%20your%20pelt/index_hoop_your_pelt.html

#5872475 - 04/10/17 05:48 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
RdFx Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
x 3 on both resolutions also.....

#5872584 - 04/10/17 08:14 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: N. Wisconsin
X4

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

#5872679 - 04/10/17 10:01 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

I wish I understood that one Bryce a little more as I would put it in too.

I think I am going to put this one in...

When the Department first approved colony traps for use, they added some unnecessary and confusing restrictions on them which continues to cause enforcement inconsistencies. No other state maintains these types of restrictions and these restrictions are not imposed on other types of traps. This has slowed down the adoption of this tool and continues to hurt seniors, kids, and the disabled.

Be it resolved, the Conservation Congress will work with the Department to simplify colony trap restrictions by eliminating the fencing and culvert restrictions.

I think my other one will be to lengthen muskrat/mink season across the state to March 25, but I haven't decided yet.

#5872761 - 04/10/17 11:39 AM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: WIMarshRAT]
bblwi Offline
trapper

The extending of the spring or late season from our old 3 zone system is probably the easiest to promote or defend as our rat population is OK to good, fur is of good quality and there are almost no other competing outdoor activities during the time frames. As stated many times it appears that many know when to quit when fur gets bit up or ice or water conditions deteriorate. That is not so true on the opening end when there appears to be more of a rush to trap. Waiting is hard when others are aggressively harvesting; but quitting is much easier when you have bloody rats in your traps and no one else around.

Bryce

#5872808 - 04/10/17 12:41 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Muskrats,

Nimzy, did you check future Octobers to see what the actual starting dates would be? The northern zone, IMO, would really have some late starting dates if "on or following Oct 23".

What do you think of . . .

Northern zone: Saturday on or following October 18th
Central zone: Saturday on or following October 25th
Southern zone: Saturday on or following October 31st

I'm writing up the resolution this afternoon, and am curious if northern trappers would be happy with the earliest starting date of the 18th.

#5872857 - 04/10/17 01:30 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Comments? If we're offering resolutions, here's what mine will look like. Still open to suggestion. I'm going with this, and it's under 250 words if you'd care to copy and use or revise your own dates.

Create Three Zones with Unique Seasons for Muskrat Trapping.

In recent years Wisconsin has changed the zones and startup dates for trapping muskrat in Wisconsin. The reasons for these changes were not science based and unclear to most trappers in this state.

The founders of the Wisconsin Trappers Association understood the relationship between pelt quality and climatic differences from north to south. They worked with the Wisconsin Conservation Department at the time to create three zones with differing start dates to allow sufficient access to open water coupled with the harvesting of later caught pelts.

It is time to return to three zones in this state for the harvest of muskrats. The zone dates & times proposed will: 1) produce larger and fuller prime goods; 2) increase access to the resource; and 3) lead to better harvest practices.

Muskrats are an abundant keystone species of our fur trade. Their inherent ability to reproduce in large numbers insures a bright future.

BE IT RESOLVED, that the Conservation Congress at its annual meeting held in Grant County on April 10, 2017 recommends that the Conservation Congress work with the state legislature to create three zones in Wisconsin for the harvesting of muskrat, with the following proposed dates, beginning on the:
(North): Saturday on or after October 18th - April 30th
(Central): Saturday on or after October 25th - March 31st
(South): Saturday on or after October 31st - March 15th.

Name of Author: John Q. Public
Name of Organization (optional): Private Citizen
Address: W12345 State Road 6
City, State, Zip Code: Hometown, Wisconsin 54321
Name of the County Introducing In: ________ County
Telephone Number (including area code): 123-456-0789*Resolutions

Edited by Muskrat (04/10/17 04:52 PM)
Edit Reason: final edit

#5872921 - 04/10/17 02:38 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

I like it Muskrat...was thinking I might go real simple...

In recent years, Wisconsin has changed the zones and dates for trapping muskrat under the guise of simplification. Instead of working, the northern part of the state is forced to start too late and the southern part of the state is forced to start too soon. Most important, heart of the old Winnebago block is forced to stop too soon which limits opportunity for wise use of a resource.

Be it resolved, the Conservation Congress will work with the Department to incorporate zones with different start and end dates for muskrat to reflect the different conditions across the state of WI.

#5873307 - 04/10/17 10:03 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: WIMarshRAT]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Home from our county WCC meeting. I placed in the two resolutions I stated above. I copied Muskrats last post and wrote in my needed information. We will see how the vote goes.

Bryce

Page 20 of 25 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 24 25 >