No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5855837 - 03/24/17 03:08 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
Kelly, would you live with the current start date for North if we had to use it for the central to satisfy a few in the north? I think I can get the guys in the central to fall in line with it assuming we get the later end. Just thinking out loud.

#5855841 - 03/24/17 03:11 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: N. Wisconsin
Regarding Iowa's opener, there used to be three zones from North to south each separated by a week at start and they had March 31 endings. Somewhere along the line they went to a a statewide season for everything but beaver starting first Saturday in November, ending last day of January. This early ending date was there coon, fox and coyote. Many have wanted later end date on rats to coincide with beaver, end of March. This they did have a special spring season on a couple lakes in northern part, where majority of rats are. Southern Iowa has few rats.

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

#5855843 - 03/24/17 03:13 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Kelly Offline
trapper

As it stands right now in Iowa while beaver trapping in February and March any incidentals, including rats can not be kept. Surely a plot waste of the primary Muskrat pelts.

#5855858 - 03/24/17 03:35 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
handitrapper Offline
trapper

And you can bet your _ _ _ those incidental Iowa rats are floated away. WASTE!

#5855867 - 03/24/17 03:51 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: The Beav]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: The Beav
Don't nix a march 31st closer just because of a few geese. Stools and floats shine In the spring and geese and ducks aren't going to climb up on them.

Not an issue, Gary. I only mentioned it earlier with reference to the seasonal differences between north/south.

We hoop beaver!!

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com

#5855872 - 03/24/17 03:58 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

So if I understand where the conversation is going, maybe to determine how many zones we want we need to think about closure dates.

IF three zones, then closures would be:

North - April 30th

Central - April 15th

South - March 31st

IF two zones, then closures would be:

North - April 30th

South - March 31st

I don't think we can or need to go past March 31 In the Southern zone.

Agreed.

If I'm understanding the northern trappers' wishes, I'm hearing the end of April.

So the question appears to me to be this: if we go two zones, just where will the dividing line be to allow trappers to harvest muskrats a month longer than just across the street.

Thoughts?

We hoop beaver!!

#5855957 - 03/24/17 05:35 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
keets Offline
trapper

Loc: chelsea,wi
I think 64

#5856040 - 03/24/17 06:46 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Muskrat
Don't nix a march 31st closer just because of a few geese. Stools and floats shine In the spring and geese and ducks aren't going to climb up on them.

Not an issue, Gary. I only mentioned it earlier with reference to the seasonal differences between north/south.

2x beav. I would offer no setting on a rat structure after March 15. We don't need the huts then and it is a proactive approach to eliminating incidental fowl.

#5856046 - 03/24/17 06:50 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I think we better focus on the zones and the dates before we start implementing more rules. But I see where your coming from nimzy.

#5856067 - 03/24/17 07:05 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Muskrat
So if I understand where the conversation is going, maybe to determine how many zones we want we need to think about closure dates.

IF three zones, then closures would be:

North - April 30th

Central - April 15th

South - March 31st

IF two zones, then closures would be:

North - April 30th

South - March 31st

I don't think we can or need to go past March 31 In the Southern zone.

Agreed.

If I'm understanding the northern trappers' wishes, I'm hearing the end of April.

So the question appears to me to be this: if we go two zones, just where will the dividing line be to allow trappers to harvest muskrats a month longer than just across the street.

Thoughts?

I like 3 because trappers in the far South (Hwy 60) are already pushing for a later start. I admire that and think it should be considered. My opinion on close would be more like this March 20, 31 and April 20, from south to north. I would go back to the previous lines hwy 64 and 60. I think 10 days is a long time in the spring and I would rather be shut down a little early then go too long. Of course I feel the same way in the fall and would rather start a bit later.

I think the North should have the longest season and the shortest in the south, central somewhere in between.

#5856085 - 03/24/17 07:21 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I disagree In the south at march 20th that Is only giving us 5 more days then we have now. And most years we may still be Ice tight.

I caught 8 rats today on a ADC job and they still look good with NO damage.
I still what a March 31st closer here In the south. If I see damage I should be able shut down when I see the problem.

#5856101 - 03/24/17 07:36 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

Then make 2 zones, I'm fine with that too. Beav the south closed March 5 so that's 15 more days, and the south zone would be south of 60. I agree this was an exceptional year.

#5856111 - 03/24/17 07:43 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Set the ending date longer just in case of late ice out. One can always quit earlier when they are big up too much.

Agree there should be 3 with the dates Mike said.

#5856121 - 03/24/17 07:50 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

IMO, that would be fine if we were only talking about rats. Since we have to include mink, I think we should be a little more conservative.

It might mean we miss it but that is a good thing. Waiting for open water comes with a cost.

#5856128 - 03/24/17 07:51 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: WIMarshRAT]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: WIMarshRAT
Kelly, would you live with the current start date for North if we had to use it for the central to satisfy a few in the north? I think I can get the guys in the central to fall in line with it assuming we get the later end. Just thinking out loud.

Well in 2016 it started on the 22nd so I can live with that. Don't what you want to do in other zones,it's not up to me.

#5856129 - 03/24/17 07:53 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: nimzy
Then make 2 zones, I'm fine with that too. Beav the south closed March 5 so that's 15 more days, and the south zone would be south of 60. I agree this was an exceptional year.

Hmmmm . . . sounds familiar.

QUESTION 59: Southern mink and muskrat season opening dates (280116, 540916, 650216)
Recently, in an effort to simplify regulations, a statewide opening date was established for mink and muskrat (the Saturday nearest October 25). This resulted in an opening date about a week earlier in what was formerly the southern zone. Some trappers are concerned that the last litter of muskrats are too small at that time to have any value and the pelts of muskrats and mink are not yet prime and are sub-optimal quality. Trappers have also cited conflicts with other users during this time. Trappers who voluntarily delay trapping to account for these concerns worry that they will experience a lower harvest because trappers who choose to trap early will have already taken a large part of the trappable surplus before the pelts become prime.

59. Do you support a rule change to create two mink and muskrat zones, dividing Wisconsin along State Highway 60? The northern zone would keep the current opener (the Saturday nearest October 25) while the southern zone would open two weeks later.

59. YES____ NO_____

--> I don't think this resolution has a snowball's chance you know where. There wasn't much enthusiasm expressed for it at the spring meeting either. Work out the two weeks after the northern zone opener and this year we'd have a November 11th southern zone opener. I don't think so.

We hoop beaver!!

#5856136 - 03/24/17 07:56 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
handitrapper Offline
trapper

Muskrat; I'm for 2 zones. With the closure dates that you listed for them. (3/31-4/30 respectively). I believe a common opener would still work. 3rd Sat.of Oct.
Hwy. 64 for the dividing line makes the most sense as that is currently used for so many hunting & trapping areas already. Beaver, bobcat & so on.

#5856140 - 03/24/17 07:59 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: handitrapper]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: handitrapper
Muskrat; I'm for 2 zones. With the closure dates that you listed for them. (3/31-4/30 respectively). I believe a common opener would still work. 3rd Sat.of Oct.
Hwy. 64 for the dividing line makes the most sense as that is currently used for so many hunting & trapping areas already. Beaver, bobcat & so on.

Well, that's fairly simple. We'd get what we want on the tail end. Not everyone is going to be happy, that's just the way it goes. But it's simple and it works. I'd like to see a later start down here in the banana belt, but . . if the majority feels this way, it's at least an improvement for extending the 'rat season.

We hoop beaver!!

#5856169 - 03/24/17 08:15 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: Muskrat]
nimzy Offline
trapper

I meant 64 & 60 with 3 zones. The way it used to be.

2 zones would be 64, IMO. It is the line we use for everything else, Shawn said it separates the forest from the farmland zone and makes perfect sense to me.

Sorry I wasn't clear

#5856201 - 03/24/17 08:36 PM Re: Discussion on Wisconsin's muskrat/mink seasons [Re: nimzy]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: nimzy
I meant 64 & 60 with 3 zones. The way it used to be.

Almost.

We hoop beaver!!

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >