No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5868002 - 04/05/17 07:21 PM Got asked to come up with a Muskat Drowning Rod
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Loc: Amite county Mississippi
Ill tell you I get asked to come up with some rather interesting things for people.

Got asked the other day to come up with a way to combine these 1/2" dia 4' long fiber glass poles in a way you can make a good size drowning rod. From what I was told there are a few situations that slide wires, long chain ect just plain don't work as well as they should and the rat or mink is swimming around instead of KO'ed. Getting a fiber glass rod that long is also a pain comapare to just buying the 4's t tractor supply for a buck. So heres what I came up with. Laugh or say its not needed but someone asked for help so here we go.

Its actually pretty simple take 8" of 1/2" steel pipe and taper down one of the ends. Next cut off one of the poles pointed tips so its flat. Push in in the pipe half way the push the top of the other in half way.you should have a pointed end and a flat end now. make sure the taper is pointed toward the flat end. Next lay the pipe with the rods inserted on an anvil and give it a few smacks with a hammer to crimp them in. now you basically have a 8' rod.

Next is the lock with is a 40 nail with a 5/8th lock was welded on one end and a half inch lock washer on the other. the larger one goes on the rods and the smaller is for trap connection.

real easy to make and lock up great. that taper helps it slip over the pipe without hanging up
After that I take a 1/2" nut slid it about a foot from the bottom and wack it with the hammer as the stop.

and finally I add a the stake ring with is just a 4" section of pipe with a 5/8 lock washer welded on one end. slip it on the top and wack it with the old hammer and done.

Any how was asked to come up with this hope it helps the guy out.
Thanks !
God Bless !

Edited by Wolfdog91 (04/05/17 08:29 PM)
make and sell snares 1x19 5/64th Micro lock
Go Ordnance!!!!

#5868044 - 04/05/17 07:50 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
rags57078 Offline
Humorist

Loc: se SD
That should work as long as your splice holds real good . Meaning if you catch an otter , beaver ,coon . I would use JB weld on the connection for added protection

Fish on !!!!!!!

http://bigbluegill.com/

42 years in this game of trapping

#5868096 - 04/05/17 08:33 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Handnt thought about that ! I figure this my send a coon down but their gone if a otter or beaver get in it. But there supposed to be for rats lol.
Go Ordnance!!!!

#5868114 - 04/05/17 08:49 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
rags57078 Offline
Humorist

Loc: se SD
Several on here besides myself have caught other critters besides what the main target was . I was set for coon and ended up with fair sized beaver LOL

Fish on !!!!!!!

http://bigbluegill.com/

42 years in this game of trapping

#5868127 - 04/05/17 08:59 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper

Loc: Northeast Oklahoma
That lock is nifty.

Mike

#5868168 - 04/05/17 09:23 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Tell the person they don't need a drowning rod for rats. Stake In deep water and don't sweat It.

#5868179 - 04/05/17 09:30 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
coonwild Offline
trapper

Loc: southern ontario canada
Looks identical to one I made up and posted quite some time back , cause I could only get short fibreglass rods here , if you use the same crimper as you do for closing aluminum ferrules they won't come apart and it's quick

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

#5868485 - 04/06/17 08:37 AM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
imiller Offline
trapper

Loc: claysville, pa
drowner lock not strong enough for larger critters... which we all kno will happen sooner or later.

#5868657 - 04/06/17 11:24 AM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Loc: South metro, MN
Mike Kelly on here (Wild River Pans) has some drowning locks just for he 1/2" rods.

I bought a few of his Fiberglass downing rods awhile back...been working very well for me for beaver. And smaller that the ones you fabricated. But yes, I understand you like building them. Might be worth a look though. Mikes are much shorter....and work well (even for the big critters).

#5868961 - 04/06/17 05:54 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Calvin]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Calvin
Mike Kelly on here (Wild River Pans) has some drowning locks just for he 1/2" rods.

I bought a few of his Fiberglass downing rods awhile back...been working very well for me for beaver. And smaller that the ones you fabricated. But yes, I understand you like building them. Might be worth a look though. Mikes are much shorter....and work well (even for the big critters).
you used half nice for beaver ?! Interesting ! I was always told that's too small. I'll have t give this a look for my self now !
Go Ordnance!!!!

#5868982 - 04/06/17 06:19 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
I guess that will do for rats. I can see it stuck in creek bottom and staked solid and nothing but otter or beaver tearing it up.

#5869124 - 04/06/17 08:29 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Apparently he's trapping golf ponds and the like
Go Ordnance!!!!

#5869495 - 04/07/17 07:33 AM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I trap a lot of golf coarse ponds and I wouldn't dare set a foot hold. Just to many ducks and geese. Body grips and colony traps and no ones the wiser.

Edited by The Beav (04/07/17 07:34 AM)

#5998112 - 09/13/17 04:36 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Ttt for Aix
Go Ordnance!!!!

#5998177 - 09/13/17 06:42 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
jeff karsten Offline
trapper

Loc: rogers city mi.
make some coyote drowners for dave smile

#5998203 - 09/13/17 07:20 PM Re: Get asked to come up with some intresting things [Re: Wolfdog91]
David Morse Online   content
trapper

Loc: Upstate NY
Take a ridged hardwood stake like a tomato stake 6 foot long. Run a length of cable the same length as the pole. Run it from end to end leaving just enough slack so you can have a double swivel that will slide the length of the tomato stake as your drowner. They are similar to the ones made with rebar. I can fit a bunch in my canoe. I hope my description makes sense to you.
Good luck with them. They float and double as a drag should you get a coon.