No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5882311 - 04/20/17 06:27 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: bblwi]
trapper_85 Offline
trapper

Loc: Wi
Last time I check 700 trappers multiplied by 10 traps each is 7000 traps. It's amazing how a little bit of bad math can change the context of a certain post.

#5882548 - 04/20/17 09:38 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: WIMarshRAT]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: WIMarshRAT
I would prefer to leave zones 1, 3, and 6 with existing start. Move the start of 2,4, and 5 back to after deer season. I would leave the tag good for any zone.

What is the reasoning on that ?
Tags were good for any zone and should be .

A October start is too early for any zone as far as I'm concerned.

What zone you in Rat ?
I'm in 1 .

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#5882576 - 04/20/17 10:11 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: RiversNorth13]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
Yup you are correct my bad but it still puts a lot of traps in small areas that are where almost all the users are, be they trappers, hunters, hikers, etc.
The model can be changed to make the experience better for those fortunate to win a permit. Like it or not based on the discussions with the legislators that pushed this through and after 3 seasons they will more than likely want a change in how the seasons are rolled out. We may want to think hard about what we may want that to look like, because when the ban is lifted the process will move quickly.

Bryce

#5882596 - 04/20/17 10:45 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Here's a thought , let's have the start date ,start the day after deer gun season or so then .
It won't intrude in on any or very many deer hunters , bird hunters , leaf watchers , or just about everyone .
Will cut down on the applicats and dreamers and the hides will be prime like everyone wants with any furbearer .
Green trees ,green grass ,warm weather wolf trapping sucks .

Have it like the bobcat, 2 seasons, only a later start .

Dec. 26 to Jan 31 for the first season and Feb. 1 to March 6 for the second season .
It will disperse hunters and trappers over different times then and no more race , just like the bobcat season .

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#5882625 - 04/20/17 11:24 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: RiversNorth13]
bblwi Offline
trapper

The idea of the split times to me makes sense. I would be more in favor of say a December 10th ish to December 31st and then a 2nd from Jan 1 to late January. By mid February canine pelts are many times far past being nice.
Could start a bit earlier in December but there is muzzle loader season and another season in some areas. Wolves may be a bit easier to find with more snow and maybe hungrier as well with colder weather and less options. Might make hunting and calling a bit more successful as well.

Bryce

#5882638 - 04/20/17 11:50 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

I hear ya .
Dates aren't crazy important but later dates seem better .
As far as muzzle loader s , it is always something or someone that is going to be affected in any time frame .

Ok , so if there were to be two seasons , would the quota get divided into two equal sums for each ?
What if the first season don't fill that quota , does it turn over to the second season .
I can hear it now .

Like you say when the ban does get lifted the process will go fast .
I just hope we all have the ducks in a row and it don't take years to have this work out for the best for all involved .

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#5882713 - 04/21/17 06:33 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: RiversNorth13]
nimzy Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13
Here's a thought , let's have the start date ,start the day after deer gun season or so then .
It won't intrude in on any or very many deer hunters , bird hunters , leaf watchers , or just about everyone .
Will cut down on the applicats and dreamers and the hides will be prime like everyone wants with any furbearer .
Green trees ,green grass ,warm weather wolf trapping sucks .

Have it like the bobcat, 2 seasons, only a later start .

Dec. 26 to Jan 31 for the first season and Feb. 1 to March 6 for the second season .
It will disperse hunters and trappers over different times then and no more race , just like the bobcat season .

But the ground will be frozen. Lmao.

Makes too much sense.

Cats are late primers. I am no expert on bobcats but have been told they are like rats and full prime in march.

#5882860 - 04/21/17 08:49 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: nimzy]
bblwi Offline
trapper

What has happened with bobcats is he opposite of wolves. Most that win cat tags opt for the later season as those who hunt cats late with hounds and snow get 3 to 4 times the cats as those who try to trap early. Just the opposite with wolves. Those who trap get 4 to 5 times as many as those who hunt wolves and thus the rush to set as many traps as soon as you can. It just so happens that later caught cats are better than early and that is not so with wolves.

Just maybe we have been way over thinking this wolf harvest. We could keep zones but we could start when beaver and otter start which is the 1st Saturday in November. We could shut zones down as the quota becomes filled. That may well leave several zones open during the deer gun season and with 500K (many of whom probably hold a wolf permit) of hunters out that would give hunters a really good opportunity to hunt wolves in some of those zones like zone 3 that has a moderate to low density but the quota was not met as that is a zone where there is an attempt to keep the wolf numbers well in check. Many fall outdoor users would be out of the woods by then, wolves would be older and more prime.

Bryce

#5882875 - 04/21/17 09:12 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: RiversNorth13]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13
Originally Posted By: WIMarshRAT
I would prefer to leave zones 1, 3, and 6 with existing start. Move the start of 2,4, and 5 back to after deer season. I would leave the tag good for any zone.

What is the reasoning on that ?
Tags were good for any zone and should be .

A October start is too early for any zone as far as I'm concerned.

What zone you in Rat ?
I'm in 1 .

Reason for 1 and 3 is due to the depredation issues. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Wildlifehabitat/wolf/documents/Wolfreport2016.pdf
Six is not good wolf habitat so it will always be a tough zone to meet quota so might as well start early.

Now when I say leave the season, I am going off the new wolf start of November. http://cwbradio.com/news/?fn_mode=fullnews&fn_id=16377 The season start was already approved to move back to first Saturday in November. Zones 2,4, and 5 are your trophy zones which will always have a very short season so might as well move back to a December start. This ensures you get the extra pressure in zones 1,3,and 6 early.

On a completely separate note, where are the elk? Which zone(s)?

By the way, I am down in Winnebago county so zone 6.

#5883056 - 04/21/17 01:44 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: WIMarshRAT]
bblwi Offline
trapper

The link below shows the 6 wolf zones for WI during the 3 harvest seasons. 1 and 5 are the zones with the elk in WI.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wisconsin+wolf+harvest+zones&rlz=1C1CHMO_enUS712US712&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=-3iNKqOVe2OvpM%253A%253B4iaTuXW_YwpmKM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.timberwolfinformation.org%25252Fwisconsin-wolf-expert-weighs-in-on-hunt%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=-3iNKqOVe2OvpM%253A%252C4iaTuXW_YwpmKM%252C_&usg=__b2nZ7CjiPnLS6GrwHZ1yO52OIPs%3D&biw=1600&bih=770&ved=0ahUKEwih1-P2mbbTAhUM3IMKHRBHC74QyjcIQw&ei=mVL6WOGmB4y4jwSQjq3wCw#imgrc=-3iNKqOVe2OvpM:

Bryce

#5883111 - 04/21/17 02:55 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

So if you had a different opening for the two zones that had elk, you could compare to see if that later opening had a positive/negative impact on the elk. Another benefit for different starting times for zones.

#5883179 - 04/21/17 04:48 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Zone 1 would fill all tags no matter what.

If they double the tags ,they still would .

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6