No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5873938 - 04/11/17 04:52 PM Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings
corky Offline
trapper

Loc: Three Lakes,WI 65

#5873943 - 04/11/17 04:55 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
AJE Offline
trapper

Loc: WI - Wisconsin
Dang, that online voting concept passed.

#5873955 - 04/11/17 05:08 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
It passed popular vote, but was split on counties carried I think. Sometimes that can represent struggles going forward for a resolution as it could struggle to win over delegates from counties that opposed. Did you go and speak in opposition of it?

#5873970 - 04/11/17 05:20 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
AJE Offline
trapper

Yes, I spoke in depth against it. Even had a guy come up afterwards and say I raised good points. My county voted it down.

#5874014 - 04/11/17 06:16 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
Moosetrot Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
In many cases the county votes have more impact than the popular votes. We vote by county at the convention. Delegates are allowed to change their county votes if they receive new information that leads them to change the vote. That's where the debating comes in.

Moosetrot

#5874027 - 04/11/17 06:27 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
Moosetrot Offline
trapper

The online voting thing is going to be a dogfight at the Convention. 35 counties Yes, 35 counties No Tied in 2 counties.
In my decades of being on the Congress I can't remember ever having seen that before.

Glad to see the scanning question passed, as did the opening of the Van Loon for beaver and otter.

Moosetrot

#5874225 - 04/11/17 08:59 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
DecoyMacoy Offline
trapper

Loc: Black Creek, Wisconsin
Crane hunting passed for 2nd or 3rd time. Sure would be nice if a legislator would take this up. A management plan by the DNR is already written, all we need is a state law passed saying we can hunt them.

#5874227 - 04/11/17 09:00 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
AJE Offline
trapper

A guy at our meeting fought the crane hunt. He said some will inadvertantly shoot a whooping crane.
Another guy argued they can do damage to new corn fields and thus Sandhill's should be hunted.
I didn't expect a proposed crane hunt to be the hot topic last night.

Edited by AJE (04/11/17 09:02 PM)

#5874238 - 04/11/17 09:06 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
Moosetrot Offline
trapper

I brought up the management plan last night. That was just before someone in the crowd said she would not like to have a Sandhill season because they are so hard to distinguish from Whoopers....that got me talking again. It passed in La Crosse County.

Moosetrot

#5874250 - 04/11/17 09:14 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
AJE Offline
trapper

The question about year round cable restraint utilization for nuisance coyote trappers caught me off guard. Intriguing. I always thought the reason cable restraints have such a tight time window is due to fear of catching a bear.? I'd love to be able to use CR's the 2nd 1/2 of Feb and into March on my land.

#5874311 - 04/11/17 09:53 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: AJE]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

Originally Posted By: AJE
I always thought the reason cable restraints have such a tight time window is due to fear of catching a bear.?

Your kidding ,right !

Bears !

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#5874314 - 04/11/17 09:58 PM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
AJE Offline
trapper

What is the reason?

Edited by AJE (04/11/17 11:05 PM)

#5874462 - 04/12/17 06:12 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: AJE]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
reduce conflict with hunting dogs

We hoop beaver!!

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com

#5874498 - 04/12/17 07:20 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: Muskrat]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Hey Moosetrot! Van Loon Bottoms beaver trapping passes by one vote! The Black Otter once again prevails.

We hoop beaver!!

#5874572 - 04/12/17 08:28 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
It was a close popular election but not nearly as close in terms of counties carried which should help it continue on...

#5874575 - 04/12/17 08:33 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: AJE]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: AJE
Dang, that online voting concept passed.

If online voting becomes the norm, IMO, "things" will never be the same again. As a 40 plus-year attendee, I've grown weary at the lack of interest and attendance at county meetings by sportsmen and sportswomen, coupled with the rise of the anti-consumptive crowd. As I looked around at the meager showing Monday night, I guesstimated the average age of the attendees to be my own, mid-60s.

I recall meetings in Sauk County back in the late 70s/early 80s with the deer issues that had fellas standing in the halls outside the room. Plenty of discussion, points, counterpoints, etc. Now it's fairly much cut and dried, with a few giving testimony and opinion.

Those sportsmen and sportswomen who choose not to attend have their own reasons, obviously. The uniqueness of Wisconsin's CC has been lost on them, and for whatever reason they've chosen to not attend and interact, they will be taking that to the grave with them.

I'm disillusioned by the lack of participation by hunters, fishers, and trappers in this state. Even spring WTA meetings used to have zest back in the days of the Juneau County Sportsman's Club. Started at 9 or so in the morning and would last all day. Back when we needed a Sergeant at Arms to keep the peace. Fellas remember Doug Gorst?

So now we're on the verge of online voting. The antis are good at rallying their troops, especially behind closed doors on the keyboard. I don't have much faith in the younger bunch of outdoors folks. The electronic idols have taken over their lives. Think they've got time to vote on outdoor issues they don't participate much in?

Concern with outdoor issues sometimes doesn't kick in for most folks 'til they're in their 40s when they realize what they valued when younger is slowly slipping away. And there are plenty of folks in their sixties on up who have "given up" and are content to sit on the couch and reminisce about the good old days, whether they were really good or not. Don't expect much out of them.

Who will show up at CC county meetings if/when things change?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsu2oASd6x8

We hoop beaver!!

#5874602 - 04/12/17 09:07 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
Moosetrot Offline
trapper

I share your feelings Muskrat. It seems that the interest in partipation in the outdoors is waning, unless it involves hero pictures on the web.

The online voting will mean the end of the marvelous heritage of the Spring Hearings and the Wisconsin Conservation Congress. I can assure you that I will do everything I can to not let thathhappen, as will a good number of folks that understand the value of public participation as espoused by Aldo Leopold.

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Moosetrot

#5874640 - 04/12/17 10:01 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: N. Wisconsin
I'm continually surprised at those who attend till they fill out the questionnaire, then leave before any discussion even starts.

One spoke up about the online voting that anyone buying hunting/fishing license should have a right to vote even if they can not make the hearing. But how do we limit it to just those?

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

#5874642 - 04/12/17 10:02 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
AJE Offline
trapper

Muskrat's point is right on...thinking about what I observed Monday night: not many under 55 years old in attendance. It's 2 hours a year...I don't get it. Then if I hear people complain, I often wonder: Why weren't they at the meeting.

Edited by AJE (04/12/17 10:03 AM)

#5874643 - 04/12/17 10:03 AM Re: Statewide results of WI Spring Hearings [Re: corky]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: N. Wisconsin
Completely agree with Muskrat that this process will end if anyone can vote online.

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >