No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5880541 - 04/19/17 01:48 AM Restitution owed,What would you do?
Deadwolf Offline
trapper

Loc: Mn
Called the Courthouse today.The restitution that is owed me went to collections. The thief isn't paying. I figured that much. On another note.Yrs ago my parents were awarded restitution in an arson case in which the arsonist was convicted and sentenced to 7 yrs and ordered to pay restitution. He was paying while he was in prison, and i don't think that debt has ever been satisfied. We never could find him, let alone find anything he owned. Todays technology solved that problem. We're talking some where around 38k. If i can bring this old debt back to life, should i? My way of thinking is, it didn't seem to bother him when he lit the match,why should it bother me to have his property seized and sold at a Sheriffs auction.

#5880543 - 04/19/17 02:08 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
Budfish Offline
trapper

Loc: Des Allemands, Louisiana
I say go for it. They still owe it.

#5880550 - 04/19/17 03:12 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Are you a Biblical man?

#5880555 - 04/19/17 03:56 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: HobbieTrapper]
Dfabs Offline
trapper

Loc: Morgantown, WV
I wouldn't feel bad about it. He obviously doesn't or he would be making an effort to pay you back.

#5880558 - 04/19/17 04:15 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
micheal Offline
trapper

Loc: Saginaw, Mi
Go for it

#5880578 - 04/19/17 05:24 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
Snowpa Offline
trapper

Loc: USA MN
I believe that has to be renewed every 10 years if not you forfeit . If he ever buys or sells a home they will make him pay up!

#5880580 - 04/19/17 05:29 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: HobbieTrapper]
Gary Benson Offline
trapper

Loc: Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted By: HobbieTrapper
Are you a Biblical man?

An eye for an eye...

#5880594 - 04/19/17 05:44 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Gary Benson]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
Originally Posted By: Gary Benson
Are you a Biblical man?

An eye for an eye...

Turn the other cheek?

#5880597 - 04/19/17 05:50 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Gary Benson]
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted By: Gary Benson
Are you a Biblical man?

An eye for an eye...

#5880614 - 04/19/17 06:30 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
EdP Offline
trapper

Loc: meadowview, Virginia
WRT the "Biblical man" question, I would say you can forgive the man without forgiving the debt. Collect the debt if possible. That's also consistent with our legal system in that someone who has committed a crime pays their debt to society and then gets to start again. In this case, part of the debt is still owed.

#5880637 - 04/19/17 07:01 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
330-Trapper Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Dog him, use the availabile "preverbial canine traps"

#5880646 - 04/19/17 07:14 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: EdP]
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted By: EdP
WRT the "Biblical man" question, I would say you can forgive the man without forgiving the debt. Collect the debt if possible. That's also consistent with our legal system in that someone who has committed a crime pays their debt to society and then gets to start again. In this case, part of the debt is still owed.

Would adultery be considered an offense? Can a spouse truly forgive another and not forgive the offense?

#5880654 - 04/19/17 07:23 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
Is the 38 thousand owed to you or the insurance company? If its owed to you I say collect it.

Same with the thief. Use every legal means to collect if money is owed to you and not an insurance company. insurance company can decide for themselves their best course of action.

#5880665 - 04/19/17 07:30 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
I'd get what I could.
5 otter
1 bobcat

#5880676 - 04/19/17 07:40 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: EdP]
Ronaround Offline
trapper

Loc: N.E.Ohio
Originally Posted By: EdP

I'm with this above!!!

#5880682 - 04/19/17 07:44 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
Macthediver Offline
trapper

Loc: La Crosse, WI
I had two different folks owe me money ordered by court to pay. Filed the dockets all the stuff court said I need to do try to get paid. That was almost 30 years ago. One of them died and I still never seen a penny and I'm guessing someone got stuck for burial cost. The other person is still floating around out their somewhere with my debt on their credit report. No idea how that works. Biggest problem with my deal was the dollar amount wasn't that much. If I'd have tried to keep chasing them I'd have spent more than they owed me just in constant paper work fees. Like Danny said if the money is owed you and it's large enough amount. Go for it. But it's going to cost something out of pocket just for the chase.

Mac

#5880735 - 04/19/17 08:32 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
waggler Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
Check your State laws, some States will wipe out a judgement in as little as six years if you don't take action to collect. Does he own any property, if so file a lien? If he gets a job, garnish his wages.

You can forgive someones offense, not hold a grudge, and still require him to take responsibility for his actions. God does that with us all the time.

#5880743 - 04/19/17 08:45 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
People that have nothing and never will have no fear of losing what they never had the jails are full of them, they have a better quality of life being locked up often.

Jerry Herbst

#5880771 - 04/19/17 09:26 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
Dillrod Offline
trapper

Loc: S/W Mich.
I know a person (family) who won $30,000 on an instant lottery ticket.
All I heard was good times ahead.
After trip to Lansing (lottery office) to claim the prize.
They returned with just under $1,200.
Lots of small claims court decisions were paid off it seems.
So I know there is a chance , at least in Mich.

#5880773 - 04/19/17 09:31 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: waggler]
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted By: waggler
You can forgive someones offense, not hold a grudge, and still require him to take responsibility for his actions. God does that with us all the time.

God is going to hold us accountable for what He has forgiven us for?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >