No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5882828 - 04/21/17 08:20 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: bass10]
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted By: bass10

That was all hypothetical, I have some bad luck here and there but that would be rough. I have actually been married to my high school sweetheart for 30 years after dating for 5, neither has ever swayed.

35 years, Congratulations!!!!

#5883108 - 04/21/17 02:52 PM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Does he have something you could burn down to return the favor?

#5883191 - 04/21/17 04:58 PM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
The reason you should get paid is the guy most likely has nothing and never will but at the same time has no problem taking/destroying whatever you have without any problem.

Same type of guy that goes to the hospital, get a cell phone, rents a place to live at and never pays what he owes. We all have most likely been paying this guys way all of his life, it's his turn to pay up once in his life!

Jerry Herbst

#5883896 - 04/22/17 10:55 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
the wife Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Mn
Originally Posted By: Deadwolf
Originally Posted By: the wife
Ask yourself your motive for seeking restitution after so long. Will it make a difference in the end? Indeed make things right? Is the motive spite or revenge based?

Despite the order being re-awakened will the person(s) involved actually be held accountable/follow through, or will this drag out many more years with no different outcome?

If you are seeking the monitary value of the restitution then I would speak with a tax advisor, there is a way to claim a writeoff for unpaid debts on your taxes, I'm not sure if it's a federal or state (MN) thing but my mother went that route a few years ago after 15 years awaiting court-ordered funds. But once you claim it the debt is considered good.

spite or revenge? You can call it what you want. I call it justice... To many times the victims are victimized again, by not being able to collect on a debt.But yet,have to pick up the pieces these criminals left behind as they serve their time,pay their fines and walk away. Try not paying your next ticket and see what happens. That's the way it should be.The criminal should keep going back to prison until he starts to pay his debt back. Myself,i would like to see look on his face as his property is being seized.He probably would have the same look as my parents did when they found out their business was burned down.

Based on your reply I wouldn't call it revenge, but using my words it is to make things right. I used the other labels to help you self-reflect on your reasoning since you were asking us what we would do. It already seems you know your answer. If a judge determined there to be restitution I would expect the perp would be able to make amends. It's the principle of things to you, and that's ok.

#5883900 - 04/22/17 11:09 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: the wife]
Deadwolf Offline
trapper

Loc: Mn
Originally Posted By: the wife

Based on your reply I wouldn't call it revenge, but using my words it is to make things right. I used the other labels to help you self-reflect on your reasoning since you were asking us what we would do. It already seems you know your answer. If a judge determined there to be restitution I would expect the perp would be able to make amends. It's the principle of things to you, and that's ok.

I apologize if if i seemed to harsh. Yes it is the principle of it. I don't need the money,but this happens all to often without long term consequences and that's what irritates me the most. The wife tells me this is a heart attack in the making.

#5883913 - 04/22/17 11:47 AM Re: Restitution owed,What would you do? [Re: Deadwolf]
humptulips Offline
trapper

Loc: Washington State
I guess different in different States. I had my car stolen in 1980 and about $2500 damage done. Three guys were caught and the Court ordered restitution. Those guys could not get off probation until the Restitution was paid. It took 20 years but one guy got sick of going to see his probation officer because he finally paid it all off.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3