No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5880681 - 04/19/17 07:43 AM Windmills........!
seniortrap Offline
trapper

Loc: michigan,USA
Lately here in Mid-Michigan we have been inundated with projects of windmills to produce FREE energy!

That's the gift from the advertisers and the money paid to farmers per/acre for rental.

Claims of each windmill will make enough power to support 25,000 homes(when the winds blowing).

Claims this ALL FREE power! Except its helped with Federal funds to support it.

How long is the LIFE of a windmill? What happens when the Federal money stops?

What would the farmer do with this eye sore in their field then?

Oh, I know there will be the extensive explanations of how it all works and plenty heaped on about the future.

Is it going to be another Solar Panel fiasco that fell on its face?

I'm sure there is support on here for this. Only no one states the end game with particulars.

My $.02

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"

#5880688 - 04/19/17 07:46 AM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
They are a eye sore for sure.
5 otter
1 bobcat

#5880708 - 04/19/17 08:05 AM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
Jags Offline
trapper

Loc: MN South of Gotha
The windmills around my area never seem to be turning. Must have gone through all the taxpayer money and can't find any money for maintenance on them. So now they are putting in 40 acre solar farms. Power company sent out information asking if you wanted to sign up to get it. Really a good deal. Would only cost me about $9.00 MORE a month than I'm paying now. No thank you.

#5880716 - 04/19/17 08:10 AM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
seniortrap Offline
trapper

The Power company some 2-3 years ago sent out letters asking if you(me) would like to pay a little extra each month to help offset someone else's cost?

My reply was "NO"! So, last year it appears on my bill an extra amount that they got approval from the state regulatory to charge everyone.

So much for a community(Communist)society looking out for you!

#5880730 - 04/19/17 08:26 AM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
corky Offline
trapper

Loc: Three Lakes,WI 66
A guy in my neighborhood put up a personal wind turbine. He got a $ 5,000 State grant (taxpayer money) and a $ 10,000 grant from the utility which is mandated to spend a certain amount for renewable energy (ratepayer money). He had an agreement for the utility to buy back excess electricity and a bumper sticker saying "The Answer is Blowing in the Wind". He also gave lectures on renewable energy at the High School and got an award from the Women's Club. After working sporadically for 3 years the thing broke. The manufacturer was out of business by then and no spare parts were available. After much local ridicule he finally paid a scrap dealer to take down the eyesore at his own expense. I guess he couldn't get the government or utility to dismantle it. He took the bumper sticker off of his car. LOL

#5880742 - 04/19/17 08:40 AM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
We have places here they look like a landing strip of red lights across the horizon at night, MN is loaded with them in areas along I-90. Not sure they are the money maker they claim to be but if it's clean energy for real I guess I could live with that.

Jerry Herbst

#5880986 - 04/19/17 12:49 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
remrogers Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Oregon
Here in Oregon it isn't called free power. It is pushed as "green power" and the utility companies charge more than hydro-electric rates. It is a "feel good" deal that a lot of folks have bought into. The utility company wanted us to sign up for "green power" from the wind farms. I told them that if they could guarantee the power, delivered to my home, was from the wind farms, I might consider it. I was told they couldn't do that. Well fancy that. They would charge more and not be able to deliver the product.

The wind generator farms have been over built, meaning they produce more energy then the electrical grid can transport. I believe most of the wind turbine power, from Oregon, is sent into California. As with most projects the government gets involved in, there is a terrific amount of tax payer money wasted.

Studies have been done to indicate there is an inordinate death total among birds and bats getting clobbered by the blades. Doesn't look like they turn that fast, but I was told the tips of the blades normally travel in excess of 160mph.

"The B75 turbine blade itself is 75 meters long, while the entire rotor assembly measures 154 meters in diameter. As it spins, the blades cover an area of 18,600 square meters—that's roughly two and a half soccer fields—at a brisk 80 meters per second, or 180 MPH at the tips." Jul 31, 2012
http://gizmodo.com/5930272/the-worlds-bi...spin-at-180-mph

Edited by remrogers (04/19/17 12:55 PM)

#5880989 - 04/19/17 12:50 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
bhugo Offline
trapper

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Not if you're a Californian....

#5880995 - 04/19/17 12:58 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
remrogers Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Oregon
Interesting and a bit worrisome.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=wind+turbine+failures

#5881014 - 04/19/17 01:11 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: seniortrap
Lately here in Mid-Michigan we have been inundated with projects of windmills to produce FREE energy!

That's the gift from the advertisers and the money paid to farmers per/acre for rental.

Claims of each windmill will make enough power to support 25,000 homes(when the winds blowing).

Claims this ALL FREE power! Except its helped with Federal funds to support it.

How long is the LIFE of a windmill? What happens when the Federal money stops?

What would the farmer do with this eye sore in their field then?

Oh, I know there will be the extensive explanations of how it all works and plenty heaped on about the future.

Is it going to be another Solar Panel fiasco that fell on its face?

I'm sure there is support on here for this. Only no one states the end game with particulars.

My $.02

they do NOTHING but add costs.... they do NOT replace firm generation sources.
People leave this all out conveniently to push an agenda...

They are typically built with subsidies and tax breaks, which will lower or minimize the cost..
however, the maintenance, the replacement, etc costs the rate payer....

they also use stupid assumptions when doing break even analysis, by adding in carbon credits which don't exist,
by suggesting the wind power will supplant the most expensive means of generating power, they leave out efficiency,

they are all against net metering, which would show how much power it produced over how much it used. the windmills have to be heated to keep the grease viscous, they also take energy to turn the motor to get them spinning.....

also, the wind doesn't typically blow at times of the highest power demands, which causes dispatching and generation problems for utilities that have to idle down more efficient means of power..

its a giant scam overall....

and once they are broke, or past their useful life, there isn't going to be a subsidy to replace it... or remove it..
the rate payer is going to have to pay for it in their bill....

hydro power is the only renewable source of power that is Firm, low cost, and can replace other firm generation for a utility...
solar and wind do not.... they just add to the cost....

#5881018 - 04/19/17 01:13 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
stan meyers Online   content
trapper

Loc: Powell TN
Long ago trappers dug pits or used figure4 traps, now we got mb's. Or think if the wright brothers tried to tell about moon landings, there is a learning curve to everything.
I saw a few days ago about a new windmill that will have no moving parts

#5881026 - 04/19/17 01:15 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
stan meyers Online   content
trapper

Loc: Powell TN
Hydropower is a joke. do some honest research

#5881029 - 04/19/17 01:17 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Wind is a joke. If wind could produce electricity without a loss the utilities would put them up on their own without federal funding, but they don't. You wouldn't see a single windmill if the feds (us) weren't paying to build them.

#5881033 - 04/19/17 01:20 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
okie4570 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Oklahoma
Fight it with all your might. Complete theft and waste of tax payer money.

#5881048 - 04/19/17 01:28 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: stan meyers]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: stan meyers

ok, you go ahead and backup your position...

I don't have to do research, I have done thousands of hours of work on sources of electric generation...
I have gone over and audited at least a billion dollars of projects.....

Hydropower is a FIRM power source...and it is cheap and can provide stable rates with minimal cost and maintenance for 50 years +......

the joke is wind and solar...

this isn't based on fb posts, some green energy blog etc, rather on first hand experience auditing electric utilities generation projects and rates...

#5881059 - 04/19/17 01:33 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
AntiGov Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Oregon
Total scam and waste of tax payer money........id rather see more hydro and nuclear

Someday in the future there will be a deconstruction crew making good money on recycled metal

#5881065 - 04/19/17 01:38 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
LDW Offline
trapper

Loc: N.E. Nebr
Have over 200 south of me that are less than 2 years old. They have a big crew in now replacing the bearings in the nose cone. You would think they would last longer than that. Another 160 going in north of me this summer. Sure changed the landscape, I don't think for the better either.

#5881095 - 04/19/17 01:57 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: stan meyers]
AntiGov Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Oregon

Research shows that all libtards are a joke ... grin

#5881545 - 04/19/17 09:01 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
Eyehi Offline
trapper

Loc: St lawrence county, ny
There is a company trying to erect windmills in the general area of my hunting camp .... Of course they want a tax break ..... It will make me sick if i have to see these eyesores in an area i visit for peace and quiet ...... I really hope they vote down the idea ....

#5881601 - 04/19/17 10:07 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
KeithC Offline
trapper

Loc: Champaign County, Ohio.
A good friend of mine has received royalties, for many years now, for selling an option to put wind turbines on his property. Most people in our area don't want wind turbines around and have been fighting their being built.

The wind turbine people come 4 times a year to his property and do bat surveys.

I think that current wind turbine designs are a waste of money and a eyesore.

Keith

#5881615 - 04/19/17 10:19 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: KeithC]
52Carl Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: KeithC
A good friend of mine has received royalties, for many years now, for selling an option to put wind turbines on his property. Most people in our area don't want wind turbines around and have been fighting their being built.

The wind turbine people come 4 times a year to his property and do bat surveys.

I think that current wind turbine designs are a waste of money and a eyesore.

Keith

Would that be dead bat surveys?

#5881658 - 04/19/17 11:47 PM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
KeithC Offline
trapper

Loc: Champaign County, Ohio.
I think that they mostly hang shelters for bats in trees and check to send if they are occupied, probably to find out how many bats and what species of bats are in the area. There are no wind turbines to kill the bats yet.

Keith

#5881663 - 04/20/17 12:09 AM Re: Windmills........! [Re: stan meyers]
Drifter Offline

Loc: Oakland, MS

http://www.hydroworld.com/articles/hr/pr...ississippi.html

Built in 1913 and STILL going strong. The average lifespan CLAIMED by the manufacturer is 25 years for a windmill. They don't bother to tell you about the complete rebuild of the gear boxes needed between 5 to 7 years on average. They also fail to tell you about how quick they become obsolete and no parts are available. There are thousands of them in the mountains of California that are not putting out anything.

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .

#5881667 - 04/20/17 01:07 AM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
pnwmtnmn Offline
trapper

Loc: Moses Lake, Wash.
On the wind turbine the tax breaks and subsidies need to go away. Everything needs to be standardized, then we would see gearboxes lasting longer, generators lasting longer and cost go down. As long as the gov't keeps paying tax dollars, in one form or another, we aren't going to see a true cost per kilowatt hour, because the companies don't care, they aren't paying for it. If the cost is to high they will drop them.

The power grid would have to be upgraded to carry the power to markets. Here in Washington the wind turbines are told to shut down because the grid can't handle the load. and they get all ticked off because they aren't making money using someone else's power lines.

Remember ... Four boxes keep us free: The Soap Box, The Ballot Box, The Jury Box, and The Cartridge Box.

#5881800 - 04/20/17 06:59 AM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
Finster Offline
trapper

Loc: Fredonia, PA.
Wind power is nothing more than a Libtard con. I think at best the average mill puts out 1.5 megawatts but just for the sake of argument, let's say 2 megawatts (if it's turning). A nuke puts out on average 1150 megawatts do the math. In addition, mills breakdown all the time. Add to all of this, the cost of build and erecting them. They never pay for themselves, the government just keeps tossing money down a Libtard dug hole. However, green weenies will never tell you any of this. It does not match the Unicorn agenda so the facts as usual are dismissed.

#5881803 - 04/20/17 07:04 AM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
seniortrap Offline
trapper

I agree that the subsidies are what drives the fake idea of "FREE"!

Nothing is free. Someone pays.

#5882812 - 04/21/17 08:00 AM Re: Windmills........! [Re: seniortrap]
seniortrap Offline
trapper

There are hydroelectric dams here in Michigan. Not as many as before.

But the wind (hot air) crowd are on the march to blow your paycheck! Pun intended.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >