No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5881050 - 04/19/17 01:29 PM Mom and Dad's will
pat2121 Offline
trapper

Loc: barnesville mn
I have been helping my folks on their will lately. I have 3 sisters and my folks decided how they want the property split up with me getting roughly 100 ac. and my sisters getting the farm yard and about 15 ac. The thing is 2 of the sisters are (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) because they think they deserve more, anybody else have this happen ? It is a gift and I can't figure why they think they should get more?? It has really been bothering my folks that they would act like they are. Are my sister being selfish or should my parents give them more to make them happy ?

#5881058 - 04/19/17 01:33 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
death and estates are typically a disaster and bring the worst out.... it really shows peoples character and true values.

typically it is the have nots that raise the stink over the money and who gets what or more....

sorry to hear about it...

your sisters have zero claim or right to your parents stuff.... it is theirs and their prerogative to do what they want with it.

if anything, if I was your parents, I would take more away from them. maybe teach them one last lesson.....

#5881060 - 04/19/17 01:34 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Sisters are being selfish.Your parents need to stand firm and do this the way they want to.

#5881061 - 04/19/17 01:35 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
Malukchuk Offline
trapper

Loc: western alaska
What he said ^^^^. It belongs to your parents and they can do what they want with it. Its not the kids choice of who gets what. They sound like spoiled brats.

#5881062 - 04/19/17 01:35 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
yup my mother in laws sisters helped their mother re-write the will writing her and her other sister out completely , the sister who got the most didn't have the $ to keep paying the taxes and sold the 14 acres and house that is between the inlaws and the mother in-laws sisters house

much harder to find a family with 3 or more siblings where it isn't a fight than one where it all goes well.

#5881064 - 04/19/17 01:36 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
Parents should keep silent about the will, and put in the clause "Anyone who disputes this will is entitled to nothing" My wife's Grandma put that in her will and it has proved to be a very wise addition before her passing.

#5881070 - 04/19/17 01:44 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
corky Offline
trapper

Loc: Three Lakes,WI 65
Interesting because in 10 minutes we are leaving to sign our revised wills. We have no kids and it was a struggle figuring out who is worthy and will follow our wishes. Some people will be extremely disappointed, others happy and grateful. So be it. Nobody has a clue as to the size of the estate or how it is to be divided. I would like to see the look on the deadbeats faces when they see the NRA gets a lot more than they do. grin

#5881074 - 04/19/17 01:46 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"

Loc: potter co. p.a.
thankfully i was an only child.

#5881080 - 04/19/17 01:51 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: Malukchuk]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Malukchuk
What he said ^^^^. It belongs to your parents and they can do what they want with it. Its not the kids choice of who gets what. They sound like spoiled brats.

Reminds me of Billy Carington s song , People are Crazy .
You know who come out good on that one !

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#5881083 - 04/19/17 01:52 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
jarrett Offline
trapper

Loc: North Cental Kansas
I have 2 sisters and 1 brother, my parents have set up their will and it is going to be ugly, when they pass. A lot of it has to do with some things that have happened in our family amongst the kids and how each of us has reacted to such things. They put in their will if anyone contests it they will not get anything, also they added if they want to get lawyers involve the person that contests the will, has to pay for both there lawyer and the estates lawyer. They did this to hopefully ease the bs that may be brought up.

#5881087 - 04/19/17 01:54 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pcr2]
Sawmill Creek Offline
trapper

Loc: Little Valley, NY
Originally Posted By: pcr2
thankfully i was an only child.

Me too. My family was a mess after my grandfather passed away and everyone fought over everything. Seen it happen why too many times. I have 2 daughters and neither of them know what my will says.

#5881104 - 04/19/17 02:07 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
If they want anyone to end up with anything they should divide it up equally.
Once lawyers get involved(which they definitely will if someone is left out of family property) there will be nothing left for anyone in a few short months.
Anyone with substantial assets should have a good trusted lawyer draw up both a will and living will that wont need to be contested.Also need to update said wills every few years,or when circumstances change.

Edited by Boco (04/19/17 02:10 PM)

#5881108 - 04/19/17 02:13 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: corky]
AntiGov Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Oregon
Originally Posted By: corky
Interesting because in 10 minutes we are leaving to sign our revised wills. We have no kids and it was a struggle figuring out who is worthy and will follow our wishes. Some people will be extremely disappointed, others happy and grateful. So be it. Nobody has a clue as to the size of the estate or how it is to be divided. I would like to see the look on the deadbeats faces when they see the NRA gets a lot more than they do. grin

Are you willing to adopt ? grin

#5881112 - 04/19/17 02:15 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
Michael Morris Offline
trapper

Loc: Cole County MO
When my dad passed my oldest brother really showed his true colors and we didn't even have anything to split up! As many have mentioned, unfortunately death brings out the worst in families. I am sorry for your headache

#5881120 - 04/19/17 02:21 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
Deadwolf Offline
trapper

Loc: Mn
Wills can be contested regardless whats in them. If real estate is involve, it has to go thru probate in Mn anyway. Best thing your parents can do ,is transfer the property they want you to have before they pass or have the 100 acres on a Transfer on Death Deed and you listed as the beneficiary on it, and file it at the court house. Upon their death,it transfers to you without doing anything and no probate. Most of all,Don't say a word about it. I was in your shoes 6 yrs ago with the wills my parents had me have a lawyer make up for them. It turned out to be a nightmare for me after my parents passed,but the Transfer on Death Deed worked out great....Greedy and paranoid sister. Once you remove the property from the value of the assets. As long as the personal property (boats,cars atvs Life insur ect)is under 50k, no probate is required. But then,it's up to you to determine the value of the personal property.

#5881130 - 04/19/17 02:35 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
rivercabin53 Offline
trapper

Loc: Hillman mi. Northern Lower Eas...
Maybe you should trade with them. If all four of you get a equal share take what they are to get because it should be worth three times as much as a 100 acres.

#5881134 - 04/19/17 02:37 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Carolina
Your sisters are being selfish. That said, if you have 300 when its all said and done and they have 15, don't disregard the ways they can mess with you around the property. Attempt to resolve now. I deal w/ estate plans, trusts and wills frequently. It's important to know the differences, highly recommend getting the legal and tax advice now if unfamiliar w/ the workings in your state. It's rare for me to see everyone happy with the result, cover your rear.

#5881139 - 04/19/17 02:50 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
goldnut Offline
trapper

Loc: western pa
I think your folks should explain to them why it is being divided the way it is. Then tell them its this or nuttin!

#5881152 - 04/19/17 03:22 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
You want the kids to have specific stuff (real or personal) give it to them today. You want your kids to remember you badly and to hate each other make a will. Lawyers love wills, they get paid to write them and again to rewrite them and again to probate them and even more to defend them in a suit.

#5881155 - 04/19/17 03:24 PM Re: Mom and Dad's will [Re: pat2121]
J.Morse Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Michigan
Had relatives that owned a goodly amount of prime farm ground. The farm was signed over to two of the 3 boys, except an 80 that the 3rd brother got. The girls....well, they (4 of them) each got something like 10 G in cash. The farm was worth an easy $1,000,000 in land alone, not counting machinery or cattle. The parents explained it as "The two oldest boys make their living off that farm". Someone got screwed big time.

Both my wife and I each had problems when our respective parents died. Everything was a mess, even with a decent will.....hire a lawyer and pay them to dot ALL the I's and cross ALL the T's. She came from a family of 7 kids. I came from a family of 7 also, except 3 of mine were step-siblings. What an absolute headache.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >