Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Hello From New Guy!! #5878643
04/17/17 01:11 AM
04/17/17 01:11 AM
Texas,USA
S
Stakeman Offline OP
trapper
Stakeman  Offline OP
trapper
S

Texas,USA
First off,Thank you Paul for allowing me to join this group. I'm going to be straight forward with everyone on the forum and admit I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the value of collectable traps! Now, that may make some of you salivate and think that O'm fresh meat, while that may be true please allow mw to explain where I'm coming from. My Dad was a collector for years before his death and he believed that traps were a great place to collect and keep his money safe. I remember trapping with my Dad in the 70's mainly for Muskrat and Mink. Much later in his life he became interested in buying collectable traps. He did much research and spent a good deal of money on many Wolf and Bear traps. Several years has past since his passing and he has left my Mom with a large supply of traps he collected and as all of you know there are many variables involved with valuing each trap. I'll be the first to admit that collecting takes much time and knowledge, I'm actually at the very first stages of valuing his traps for sale and would like to learn as much as I can for my Mom's sake to try and sell some or most of his collection. My Mom has bought some books to attempt to give a value to these traps but my hopes are to fine some trust worthy people who can help guide my Mom and I in the right direction.

I've selflessly taken on this Job to help out my 81 year old Mom sell some of my Dads traps. She doesn't desperately need the money but I honestly think this is a great chance for her to Sell to a group that would appreciate these items as much as my Dad did. My biggest worry is someone taking advantage of what she has and getting lowballed on some very nice collectable traps. My goal is to help her out while learning more about the in's and out's of collecting. Over the next week or so I may tap into the knowledge of this group to help detrmine the value of what she has. I will be at her home this week and do my best to learn what the value of these traps are truly worth. It may be a great buying opportunity for some folks on here but at the same time I would appreciate everyones honest opinion on what my Dad has left behind. Thank you very much Paul for allowing me access to this group, and I'll do my best to represent what my Mom has and try not to ask too many questions and look too stupid in the process. I've always been honest when conducting buisness in all areas of my life and intend to do the same here, all I ask is for like wise treatment as I am a self admitted dummy when it comes to Traps. Any and all help throughout this process would be appreciated. Please stand by, while I travel up to Northern Illinois and get the chance to see what my Mom has, around mid week I should be back and have some more info for those interested.At this point all I know is my Dad collected many Wolf traps and a few Bear traps. I seem to remember many Newhouse traps and Onida Community traps. Thanks again all for reading this far and I hope to provide as much information as I can in the following week, until then I will do my best to learn as much as I can regarding info on these traps.

David Staker

Re: Hello From New Guy!! [Re: Stakeman] #5878809
04/17/17 10:09 AM
04/17/17 10:09 AM
Iowa
P
PaulB Offline
trapper
PaulB  Offline
trapper
P

Iowa
Join the North American trap collectors association and consign them to the Sydney trap auction in March ,,,

Re: Hello From New Guy!! [Re: Stakeman] #5878812
04/17/17 10:12 AM
04/17/17 10:12 AM
S.W. Oregon,USA
S
snakecollector Offline
trapper
snakecollector  Offline
trapper
S

S.W. Oregon,USA
Hello David and welcome to the site,
It sounds like even though you don't have the value of the traps figured out yet, you do understand the value and that there are people out there that will take advantage of you if you give them the opportunity. Determining the value of a trap is not an easy thing, as a given trap will have more value to some than to other. Condition is always a big factor as well as rarity. To determine value good photos are a must as there can be factors that you may not consider that a collector will be looking for. There are knowledgeable people on this site that like your Dad, have been collecting for many years and will be glad to help you. I look forward to seeing what you have and good luck with your venture. Dean

Re: Hello From New Guy!! [Re: Stakeman] #5878893
04/17/17 12:10 PM
04/17/17 12:10 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
You should not clean the traps, except to remove dirt and dust. Old traps should have a patina, that tight layer of "rust" that develops with age.

Some folks think that traps should have bare metal, no rust. Cleaning to bare metal will decrease the value of the traps.

Looking forward to seeing what you have.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Hello From New Guy!! [Re: Stakeman] #5879111
04/17/17 06:04 PM
04/17/17 06:04 PM
Texas,USA
S
Stakeman Offline OP
trapper
Stakeman  Offline OP
trapper
S

Texas,USA
Thanks for the heads up fellas, I'll get some more info and Pictures as soon as I get settled in up at my Moms place. I'll be up there for 4 days later in the week.

David

Re: Hello From New Guy!! [Re: Stakeman] #5879135
04/17/17 06:30 PM
04/17/17 06:30 PM
Tx
T
Trapit43 Offline
trapper
Trapit43  Offline
trapper
T

Tx
hi i live in granbury tx. i can give you a honest value of your traps. i have been collecting traps for 32 years.call 682 936 2392

Re: Hello From New Guy!! [Re: Stakeman] #5881053
04/19/17 02:30 PM
04/19/17 02:30 PM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
Click on the flashing envelope to read a private message

Re: Hello From New Guy!! [Re: Stakeman] #5882060
04/20/17 12:58 PM
04/20/17 12:58 PM
Texas,USA
S
Stakeman Offline OP
trapper
Stakeman  Offline OP
trapper
S

Texas,USA
Thanks again for the additional comments and replies. cohunt I did get your PM and Trapit43 I will try and give you a call once I sort through what we have. I just got up to my Mom's house and my cell phone service does not work well out in the country. I'll take tons of pictures and get them uploaded on here as soon as I can. Thanks again,
David

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector