No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5882649 - 04/21/17 12:44 AM AT&T fiber optic
Drifter Offline

Loc: Oakland, MS
Anyone using it? I see them burying it all over and now is at the end of my driveway. Down side will be getting it to my house about 1/2 mile long lane. They sent a letter today saying it is available.

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .

#5882718 - 04/21/17 06:40 AM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
trapfurbehappy Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
Only at work and it's lightning fast. I don't even have cable TV near my house so internet is through Frontier, our phone company, and it says it's 130mbps when I check, and work runs at 144mbps, there is no way that's possible. Go with the fiber unless it's expensive and you already have good service.

#5882802 - 04/21/17 07:54 AM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
ShaneT Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
If it was available at my house I would sign on when with no hesitation.

"Seriously, Nike had it right, Just Do It."

#5882863 - 04/21/17 08:52 AM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper

Loc: Rodney,Ohio
I say go for it if you can afford it unless you never do more than read. IE stream video, gaming, lare program downloads.

Only limiting factor with fiber is the hardware that coverts the signal on the line to your modem/pc.

Just remember where the fiber lines as they are delicate. Youd have to replace the entire line or place a repeater at the location of the damage.

#5882920 - 04/21/17 10:08 AM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
Drifter Offline

I have no existing phone lines so will have to be run the whole 1/2 mile. We are on satellite now for internet and the cost per month is the same. My main question would be the cost to run it that far.

#5882926 - 04/21/17 10:28 AM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
I would get it

I have 60meg cable , when I was 3meg frontier I knew when the neighborhood kids got home from school because the internet would drag I also tried doing some VoIP for work , the buss would go by and 15 minutes later I couldn't hold up the call I had open all day with the office.

the office has fiber and I have a number of customers on fiber

the important thing to not is that fiber means if your getting phone service over it , that it is VoIP even if they use the box to allow you to use your regular 2 wire phones. you provide the power to the end so if the power is out so are your phones. also if you say for some reason still use a modem to connect to things modem communication over VoIP lines are often a challenge.

other than that if you can get it I would

with 60 meg I don't even notice that the kids and wife are all streaming netflix and surfing the internet while I am working used to be I knew as soon as they opened one netflix connection.

#5882936 - 04/21/17 10:52 AM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
BandB Offline
trapper

Loc: alabama
Just talked to one of my local engineers. He said it is handled differently by each state and each district. The service wire that the techs use comes in 1000ft boxes. Here, if it is over 1000ft, it goes to engineering. The engineer would then talk to the customer, and they would try to come up with something. Possibly have the customer bury a conduit up the drive and then send the line crew out with a larger spool to place. Only way to know for sure, is order it. If you don't like the cost, just cancel the order. I can tell you the performance difference between the fiber and the satellite is unreal. Especially if you get the 1gig speed.

#5883016 - 04/21/17 12:40 PM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
ShaneT Offline
trapper

In the subdivisions where they have installed it in north Louisiana in the Shreveport/Bossier area and Monroe//West Monroe area they are doing free installation. They are trying hard to take back market share from the cable companies. A half mile run may be a different matter but I would keep their desire for market share in mind. You may can talk your way into a good deal.

#5883576 - 04/22/17 12:35 AM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
Drifter Offline

Wife called them and we are on the list to have them come look. No date set yet for that as must be a backlog. Know they were popping it in like crazy last summer.

#5883748 - 04/22/17 08:03 AM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
Kre Offline
trapper

Loc: USA-WI
I strongly encourage everyone to do as much business with AT&T as they possibly can.

#5884175 - 04/22/17 08:08 PM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
Scioto Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Ohio
Me too! I retired from there and still hold a bunch of their stock!

#5887095 - 04/25/17 03:52 PM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Kre]
yotetrapper30 Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: Kre
I strongly encourage everyone to do as much business with AT&T as they possibly can.

Well after 4 days, I can safely say AT&T is the sorriest, most pathetic company I've ever tried to deal with!

So we placed the order on Saturday. A bundle with phone/internet/directv. Told the guy on the phone we had a 3/4 mile long driveway and he assured me that would be no problem. Service tech came on Monday for the internet and phone. Said he could not install and needed to call an engineer. Not surprising. Meanwhile, I set up an account for their internet site. Get logged in and see that is says my account order has been cancelled?? No one cancelled it! So I chat with one of their online technicians and they re-processed it. Ok. Sign in again later that night and still says my order has been cancelled, so can't do anything on their website. I'm now needing to reschedule my directv installation,who is coming tomorrow, as I do NOT want direct tv UNLESS I can get the internet too. So I call AT&T and stay on the phone, mostly on hold, for over an hour, before they decide they "can't help me" and transfer me to direct tv, where I am on the phone for another 30 minutes before they transfer me to another person, whom I wait on hold for for 20 minutes before the line then rings once and tells me that office is closed!

So, this morning, the engineers, who obviously don't know some mysterious ghost has cancelled my order, show up. They are cool, and tell me they will do what they can but it's unlikely they will be able to install the internet and phone due to the distance from the road to our house. Sucks, but understandable. So, they leave, and then I realize that the direct tv is still coming tomorrow, so I call back up AT&T. Explain the whole deal about the tech, and the engineers, and how they don't know if they'll be able to install it. He looks up my account and says my order has already been cancelled, by me??? Umm.. no. I told him I had not cancelled it, but someone said it was yesterday and so reprocessed it. They told me they had not reprocessed it, but that he would be happy to help me with that! Said he needed to put me on hold for 3-5 minutes. I timed it... it was 38 minutes. He gets back online and told me he'd reprocessed it, and a tech would be here to hook up my internet tomorrow! I told him AGAIN the tech already had been here, and the engineers, and they were not sure if they could hook it up. Explained the whole thing AGAIN about how I just needed to postpone the direct tv install until I found out. He transferred me, to a line that kept repeating "please wait" every 20 seconds for about 15 minutes until it finally said "We're sorry, your call can not be processed, please call back. Click."

By now I was livid. I called back again and asked to speak to a manager. The towel head that answered told me she could not refer me to a manager. We went back and forth a bit and I was getting madder and madder, finally I told her if she could not connect me to a manager, could she connect me to someone that spoke English. She replied that she DID speak English and I shot back "not well enough for me to understand." THEN she said she would connect me to a manager, but came back 5 minutes later and said no managers were available. She kept talking over me and when I again asked for a manager, she told me they would tell me the same thing she was, which really set me off as I knew she had NO IDEA what she was doing, so I told her "Look lady I don't know how they do it wherever you are from, but this is America, and here the customer is always right, and has the right to talk to a manager if they want!" I was hot! She said she would try her manager again, and again came back and started saying the same thing the other moron said about sending a new tech out tomorrow, and I said, ok, but is the direct tv cancelled and she said no only direct tv could do that... so I just hung up.

I recruited Drifter to deal with it on the computer chat, because by that point I was so mad my hands were shaking! He got a guy who said he would have a supervisor call me. Well, since I had been TRYING to talk to a supervisor all along, I said ok. Eventually, one did call, another hijab wearer, and she said she would connect me to someone else. I was thinking Oh here we go again! But wonder of wonders, the phone rang a couple of times, and a honest to goodness white woman answered and she knew what she was doing! In less than 5 minutes (with no time on hold) she had the direct tv rescheduled for a month down the road so I wouldn't need to call back every week until they got it figured out. She went on to say she was making this case her personal case and was going to call all the local people involved and everyone until she figured out what was going on for sure, and that she would personally call me back on Thursday to let me know what she found out. I mentioned about it saying my order had been cancelled, and she's like oh, yeah I already fixed that (in 30 seconds, while the other people all failed in 40 minutes!!).

So I guess, AT&T does have SOME competent people, but it's a matter of getting a hold of one! I told her I doubted there was any way I could get a direct number for her, and she said she didn't have a direct number, but when she called me back on Thursday, she would call from her managers phone so I could call that number back and ask for her, but that she wasn't allowed to give it out, lol.

Edited by yotetrapper30 (04/25/17 04:20 PM)

#5887107 - 04/25/17 04:12 PM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
Sac Creek Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
I'm the same way. I get really impatient on the phone with people like that.

#5887118 - 04/25/17 04:25 PM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Sac Creek]
trapper

Originally Posted By: Sac Creek
I'm the same way. I get really impatient on the phone with people like that.

I was pretty patient, for the first three hours, LOL

#5887172 - 04/25/17 05:13 PM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
Ken Mclellan Offline
trapper

Loc: Mt.Iron MN
Can you repeat that again please. Lol
Good luck, I hope they get ya hooked up.

#5887197 - 04/25/17 05:34 PM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
BandB Offline
trapper

Loc: alabama
Life was much simpler under South Central Bell. Even BellSouth for that matter. Much easier to handle things at the local level.

#5887361 - 04/25/17 07:54 PM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
Sac Creek Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
Yea I hope you guys get this all settled. Take a deep breath.

#5887421 - 04/25/17 08:45 PM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Ken Mclellan]
trapper

Originally Posted By: Ken Mclellan
Can you repeat that again please. Lol
Good luck, I hope they get ya hooked up.

At this point I'm not sure I WANT AT&T anymore, lol. If it wasn't so much cheaper than what we currently have, I'd have told them to go to hades yesterday already. I guess you get what you pay for, lol.

#5887428 - 04/25/17 08:51 PM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
ShaneT Offline
trapper

It'll be worth it if you can get it hooked up. That is some awesome internet.

#5887810 - Yesterday at 08:07 AM Re: AT&T fiber optic [Re: Drifter]
Macthediver Offline
trapper

Loc: La Crosse, WI
Interesting you mention this. Company here called 5-Star TeleCom had fliers hanging on all the mail boxes across the street yesterday, saying they was digging cable. Lot of paint on that side street marking utilities. I thought there was already fiber optic in the street in front of me?? not sure how many different company have their own cable?
Don't know about by you guys? But here there is a push to put high speed internet out in the rural area's. Folks that live out there complaining their cut off from business opportunities without high speed cable..Of course they want to pay the same as us folks that are clustered up too...

Drifter See can ya get a grant to run that cable in.. Tell them Angelia needs it in case dog gets snake bit again..

Mac

"My dogs Breath Still Smells Like Dog Chow!"
Unless You Have "Alternative Facts!" To disprove It?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >