Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5882921 - 04/21/17 10:12 AM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: trappergbus]
Murse1986 Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Nebraska
Originally Posted By: trappergbus
Trust me coyotes don't have to dig traps to verify detection. SOME will avoid painted traps altogether.

We must use too much paint in Nebraska. They don't seem to mind stepping on a painted trap here. I've not seen any indication in the tracks that I've been avoided for using paint either.

#5882999 - 04/21/17 12:06 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa
I too have seen the same as Bus says.
Late season, snow, gear seen cleaner days at that point, and one time scorched wax, once.

Been trying to get my truck to this oxy thing, it's not co-operating at all. It needs fenders, body work, and undercoat again.
They put a crap load of toxic on our winter roads here.

#5883052 - 04/21/17 01:42 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
Maybe, but I had more "close calls" than I would like to admit. Multiple sets that had tracks on the jaws/levers, multiple sets that had tracks all around. They just never hit the pan. This was only my 2nd year going after canines so I can only blame myself. I'm still learning, but I highly doubt that my traps being painted had anything to do with not connecting. If they didn't like the set due to the painted traps, they wouldn't step all over the jaws, levers and surrounding area.

#5883058 - 04/21/17 01:49 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
waggler, thanks for more big words. I've seen the resulting pipe slime caused by them things, but never knew what caused them.

#5883197 - 04/21/17 05:02 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
USMC47 Offline

Loc: California
Im a big fan of doing what you're a fan of. If you like it, do it.

Think of it this way....if you're catching 100 yotes with paint, would you have caught 105 with dye and wax? Neither you or me can really answer that, but I'd bet on it.

www.derricks-nm.com

www.montanatrappingsupplies.com

#5883223 - 04/21/17 05:45 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
Yeah, but you might have caught 108 with just wax.

Do the math some slack day, cost of this or that, plus the other stuff and all the time; dollar and penny cost of prep against the cost of new traps when and if they become unusable from lack of coddling and my bet is we'd all be better off using them and and tossing them.
Cheap as traps are it's hard to figure spending hundreds of dollars in time and materials to make a $25 trap last two life times instead of one.

I have seen quite a few traps from the '20s & '30s that never got much done to them aside from using.

Truth is, I think, trappers just like to admire and fondle their traps and look for likely excuses to do so. And then some humans are just more fastidious than others.

#5883224 - 04/21/17 05:45 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Michigan
Well said John smile

#5883262 - 04/21/17 06:46 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
If you only use your traps once in a while,its likely OK to leave them as is,but if you use traps year round like some,you need to look after them or they wont last too many years.For me that means dye and wax every couple years for bodygrips.For foottraps you may need to look after them a lot more than that.

#5883292 - 04/21/17 07:16 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
Larry Sills Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa & Neb
As for you the audience that like to paint, dip, wax, and stain your traps....more power to you.

I want to also remind you that animals noses are not really as keen as you think IMHO. It took years of genetics to make a blood hound a good bloodhound or a beagle a beagle that likes little things for what they do....like a scratched ear. Heck drug dogs have to be coaxed into what they do. And if not rewarded or stimulated they will stop.

Plus there is Pavlov's canine conditioning (twice today I wrote Pavlov) and like most biologist know, if the smell makes the animal flee it will! But if the smell makes it want to eat or mate it will do that too!

The rest of the scents, obscure visual changes, or hearing are just like the jets flying over their head every day...animals like humans get conditioned and learn to ignore it. Fact is how many guys in the midwest at night think they hear a neighbors dog yipping.....but in reality the neighbors dog died weeks ago and a yote trying to scare a mouse into running.

Now this advise is not for you remote guys. You guys need to watch your P's and Q's with everything you do. Not because the animal is smart, its because in remote areas animals are not conditioned to strange scents, non-natural views or things that go bump in the woods alert them to flee. Instead they learn to flee because of instincts (genetics), instincts that the lower 48 state animals have had breed out of them or been conditioned too.

#5883310 - 04/21/17 07:30 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
You seem to have a grasp of induced scent as opposed to inherent scent.A lot of guys don't get that.

#5883655 - 04/22/17 05:38 AM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
Larry Sills Offline
trapper

Close, I firm grasp on olfactory detection and analysis.

I know that yotes don't always have there noses turned on full time. What? Is Larry Nuts? Not at all, when coyotes are walking the use of their eyes is primary. When they stop they use their eyes and ears. If one seems to detect something it becomes primary. After some time scilia in the nose starts to pick up scents. Now the nose begins to get turned on. How much it gets turned on depends on known stimulus, and that stimulus could be sight, sound or nose.

Should it be the nose the coyote starts a sniffing process, in and out air passes down turbinates that warms the air and so it bacteria, molds etc can be detected more easily by a whole lot of mucus membrane. On the way out air is redirected so it doesn't interfere with incoming molecules. However its not a perfect system and some are flushed especially is there is dew in the morning or its foggy. Undertsand trapped particulates, bacteria and molds spores tend to cling to meniscus's of water droplets the larger the droplet the better for the yote.

Mucus covers the bacteria, particulates and molds and carries them via hair like Celia in nasal pockets until at last 250 million scent receptors absorb sufficient qtys and then start sending signals via nerve endings to the brain for processing.

Now the brain is like human brains just smaller. While it does not allow yotes to reason it does have direct connections. Thus if a brain receptor has identified a certain scent that is danger, there is no reasoning about what to do, the animal just flees. The opposite is true regarding non threatening stimulation collected by the Celia and olfactory receptors, the animal stays put and starts to taste the air. If the air flowing across the tongue is positive it will stay to eat.

This is a very brief write up how canines smell. I skipped over allot. But is should paint a picture regarding how yotes detect food and danger.

My point to all of this is the fact that unless hunting, coyotes do not just walk around with their nose on. If they did they would hyper ventilate and waste allot of energy. The do allot of traveling using just their eyes. Second now you should be able to figure out why yotes use the path of least resistance. Not because that path is easier to walk. That path allows the secondary scent system the ears to be effective. Can you imagine those radar domes trying to pick up another yote howl if they traveled in heavy cover all the time.

So its now not hard to trap coyotes. You know they like the path of least resistance. They use their eyes allot when traveling. So why make a set with a tidy little hole? Tear the area up. Make you scent post visual. If there is snow use a muddy bone if there is no snow use a bleached bone. All you need to know is trappers can only stimulate the eyes and nose. Until we get longer lasting batteries for smaller electronic callers.

At the set, remember how the nose works....until the celia pockets fill up they usually don't transmit any scent to the brain. So if you fill the pockets with a stronger scent like a bait lure or gland lure....your weaker human scent left by bacteria and flaky skin particulates will be a never mind. However, if you have dry skin and just ate an onion......look out!

Edited by wolferman (04/22/17 05:39 AM)
Edit Reason: poor spelling and being old

#5883666 - 04/22/17 05:51 AM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
USMC47 Offline

Good morning, Larry! What you doing awake? Ain't it not even 6am in your country?

www.derricks-nm.com

#5884182 - 04/22/17 08:18 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
Larry Sills Offline
trapper

Hey Grunt thanks for asking.....I am awake because of life.

My mentor, cousin, and more Dad in my life that my real Dad, is dying. Maybe a week maybe 2 -3 days. For the purpose of this site, he taught how to trap in 1966. Worse yet he arose from his death bed this morning and broke his arm. So heres a guy that did not ask for a thing from his life then to have healthy kids and avoid the farm bankers. And now just before his maker his ready to take him away....he is insulted with the pain of a broken arm. He layed in bed begging to be shot from the pain to weak to even scratch his nose.

Okay whilst all thsi is going on we are trying to keep a severe alcholic alive. We had him commited to rehab and they screwed it up...let him out to early and now he's drinking again with an elarged liver pending twice now. ...he hates his Dad because he thinks I betrayed him so now I am faced with losing a living son forever more.

In November of last year I was dead in the hospital for 4 hours. In February 2017 in the emergency room Paddles brought me back again. I was calling coyotes that day and barely made it to the vehicle and drive myself to the hospital. They had just dropped my butt into a wheel chair and I blacked out. Paddles brought me back.

Lastly Grunt, maybe you can appreciate this...41 years and 363 hays later I having flashbacks of Operation Frequent Wind and the crap we had to perform in Nam during its last battle. You say a Marine is the deadliest with his rifle...you have no idea what a Navy Scout is capable of doing to mankind with 1200 rounds and a modified Winchester 70 with a Unertl scope.

Don't any of you dare say "thank you for your service" Most of you youngsters had parents that hated us when we came back and yet even today a Traitor named "Hanoi Jane" Fonda gets awards! Worst yet because of a generations of haters, it became acceptable to burn our flag!

YOU ASKED>>>>perhaps now you wish I was concentrating on the only thing that gives me peace of mind...trying to teach people all about real trapping

#5884320 - 04/22/17 09:42 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
trapper les Online   content
trapper

Loc: williams,mn
Well...Larry, I sure do appreciate what you have shared about coyotes. I haven't waxed a trap, but I do dye them, and let them hang in a shedded yet open air environment so they don't get rained on. It can be humid here in the summer time and some of the newer type traps will rust through the dye, where the older brands don't. My mentor liked to hang his after dyeing and drape them in cedar boughs.

#5884525 - 04/23/17 07:06 AM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
USMC47 Offline

Larry, you died TWICE? It dont seem right to ask a guy who died TWICE what color shirt Jesus was wearing. But...if you wanna share that.

I'm familiar with what you've been through, bud. Just different weapons, 4 decades later, and 4k miles around the globe. Different times for sure. I can't say I'd want to do battle in jungle terrain. In 13 years since the first deployment I've only had a single bad dream and it was 2 years after the first deployment. I've been blessed. I'd reckon to say the same about you.

There's a book by LtCol David Grossman. It's also on dvd so you can listen to it. It's called "On Killing." Excellent read. Explains a bunch of tho vs you can use for yourself or for others. Good stuff.

I tend to make fun of every situation I'm in. No, no, no...I know it's hard to believe. Like the time I ate a hotdog off raw sewage in Fallujah. Not my most glorious of moments but it still tasted like poop. Just like the rest that I didn't drop.

www.derricks-nm.com

#5884526 - 04/23/17 07:07 AM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
USMC47 Offline

Keep that head up, Larry. Contact me anytime.

www.derricks-nm.com

#5884729 - 04/23/17 10:28 AM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

Thankyou for your knowledge , I'd say you have a good grasp on all. Your in my prayers sir..Your not nuts LOL

Edited by trappergbus (04/23/17 10:30 AM)

#5884850 - 04/23/17 01:07 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
All I can say is this, I don't care what my parents thought (though they always supported our troops). They are not me. I thank ALL service men and women for doing what I was too much of a coward to do. I would NEVER burn our flag (or allow it) nor would I give an award to Jane Fonda smile and USMC- a hotdog off of poop! Really?!? My wife is making burgers and dogs as I type this. Might skip the dog now!

#5884851 - 04/23/17 01:07 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
Larry Sills Offline
trapper

Just got back from my Dads (cousins) bed. Funny how when you kill something instantly it doesn't have the look of death. But when you get old the Grimm reaper takes everything he can and leaves a body breathing with nothing but loose skin, sunken cheeks and a finger to point with. The finger is because the Grimm also takes there vocal cords.

Let us prey that the good lord finds room for him soon.

USMC47,,no will intent meant with the words grunt. Its just I have 3 brother-in-laws that were Marines. Ill never see Jesus shirt,, but the devils is nothing but grey smoke.

You youngsters out there let me give these words I heard from a great coyote hunter in Iowa.
"Getting old ain't for weenies you got to be a tough man to live through it"
Guess I, just realized after responding on here I must be very tough, Yesiree very tough! ...but for how many more years?

Thanks to all and on this Sunday may God bless each one of you! Because you need it, not now but someday!

#5885847 - 04/24/17 12:51 PM Re: OXIDATION-trappers friend [Re: Larry Sills]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

I'll prey for a peacfull end Larry, I know I'm an old tough geezer too. Johns a turd LOL. I look forward to sharing knowledge with you.
Good bless you too!!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie