ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
kit beaver size #5896123
05/06/17 08:32 AM
05/06/17 08:32 AM
androscogin county maine
ducky Offline OP
trapper
ducky  Offline OP
trapper

androscogin county maine
so i set up my first beaver job under my adc license and caught 2 smaller sized beaver this morning. now one is smaller then the other in body mass bit tails look identical so is it possible the little one is just a runt of last years litter ..id imagine the 2 year olds are gone so should i figure there to be 2 more adults and another kit ? just lookin for a lil help is all.

2018/19 season

rats 0
Beav 0
Otter 0
Mink 0
coon 0
fisher 0
weasel 0
fox 0
yote 0
cats 0

Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5896142
05/06/17 08:46 AM
05/06/17 08:46 AM
ID
O
Ole Offline
trapper
Ole  Offline
trapper
O

ID
Smaller than what? Do you have weights or lengths or something?

Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5896192
05/06/17 09:39 AM
05/06/17 09:39 AM
androscogin county maine
ducky Offline OP
trapper
ducky  Offline OP
trapper

androscogin county maine
the littlest one is like the length of my size 14 boot without the tail, probably 10 pounds,other bigger ones maybe 15 hut nowhere in sight, have word its about 200 yards up the opposite bank on private land

2018/19 season

rats 0
Beav 0
Otter 0
Mink 0
coon 0
fisher 0
weasel 0
fox 0
yote 0
cats 0

Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5896251
05/06/17 10:48 AM
05/06/17 10:48 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
You caught yearlings. There are usually 3 or 4 little ones to a colony with a litter, but could be 1 to 7 yearlings at times. You still have two big ones, probably 40 plus pounds. Could be some two year olds in addition, but that often goes with the amount of feed and how long they have been there. Two year olds might be 25 to 30 pounds. You don't need to know where the main hut is, only the main dam. They will maintain the main dam frequently, often every night.

Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5896281
05/06/17 11:44 AM
05/06/17 11:44 AM
androscogin county maine
ducky Offline OP
trapper
ducky  Offline OP
trapper

androscogin county maine
yes ik the basic sizes and such just wasnt sure why one yearling would be larger then the other. have all 3 channels to the dam set and caught those 2 yearlings

2018/19 season

rats 0
Beav 0
Otter 0
Mink 0
coon 0
fisher 0
weasel 0
fox 0
yote 0
cats 0

Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5896287
05/06/17 11:56 AM
05/06/17 11:56 AM
androscogin county maine
ducky Offline OP
trapper
ducky  Offline OP
trapper

androscogin county maine
they have rebuilt the dam 3 nights in a row after DOT tore it out. no work on dam last night

2018/19 season

rats 0
Beav 0
Otter 0
Mink 0
coon 0
fisher 0
weasel 0
fox 0
yote 0
cats 0

Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5896794
05/06/17 11:43 PM
05/06/17 11:43 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I've got two ADC jobs that I have only been able to catch last years kits at
7 at one
5 at the other

The one with seven I have some history with. As I had been catching the one year olds there for the past three years and the male adult the past two (haven't got a male yet this year) the female has been the most challenging I have ever went after

The spot where I caught five the property owner says there have been beaver in his lake for 22 years but they never came down the creek and dammed it up until this year. (My theory is that someone has been trapping his lake without his knowledge, but with the lower prices I think they backed off and now either are more picky about trapping it or have been waiting for all to get prime before trapping)

What does all of this have to do with the original post ?

Maybe someone has removed the larger ones and it's only the smaller ones left

Just a thought

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 05/06/17 11:48 PM.

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5896860
05/07/17 07:20 AM
05/07/17 07:20 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
When ever I caught more than 4 kits I have always eventually caught another female or found that one was shot or trapped. I was always thinking a female could have more than four kits because of what others have said in the past and pictures here recently have shown.

Several Gov. agencies trying to promote themselves have used beaver autopsy to show how many kits they had in the litter that year. I always laughed at how gullible the listeners were. They used the show as a tool to win over my competition from counties and cities preying on the limited knowledge their listeners had.

I am sure that more than 4 is possible, but it has been my experience that it is extremely uncommon. At least where I live.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5896869
05/07/17 07:47 AM
05/07/17 07:47 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
Back to your original question......There should definitely be adults to account for. Either they're somewhere for you to catch, or they've been caught by someone or killed by predators (unlikely). I would be looking/waiting for adults.

Almost always, dam breaks will be repaired the first night, but not always. There are occasions that they won't fix it for a night or two, under conditions such as a 330 firing but missing them there, or similar circumstances.

I don't consider the beavers taken care of until I breach the dam, return 10+ days later, and there still isn't any evidence of beavers returning.

Region whether conditions and impoundment makeup make a big difference. The original "post" was from Maine. I would think water temperature would always be cool there and beaver would be aggressive, coming almost every night to patch what was open.

Where I live their are hundreds and in the adjoining counties "thousands" of irrigation ponds. Most have limited shade. If the pond has a shallow rim and a large over flow area that is less than 3 feet deep, it is common for the water temperature to be over 90 degrees in those areas. That means a beaver, if he has to do much repairing, is going to be working in 90 degree surroundings for minutes at a time. He can not dive to get to cool off. The low for the night may only be 80 degrees. He just can't cool off or he might die.

If there is no rain, or inflow, activity stops. It may be for over a month for any activity to take place, depending the situation, and still have several beaver in the pond.

Conditions and region should always be a factor.

I always take notice when a post is made and the trapper says he always gets them all, before he leaves. I know he is lying or not from here.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5896906
05/07/17 08:40 AM
05/07/17 08:40 AM
androscogin county maine
ducky Offline OP
trapper
ducky  Offline OP
trapper

androscogin county maine
well i caught another kit and an adult about 45-47 pounds thjs check. actually watched the kit swim into.the 280 which was cool but there was minimal activity at the culvert with only a fe sticks in the culvert. so hoping thats all 3 kits

2018/19 season

rats 0
Beav 0
Otter 0
Mink 0
coon 0
fisher 0
weasel 0
fox 0
yote 0
cats 0

Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5898711
05/09/17 03:41 PM
05/09/17 03:41 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Three or four yearlings is most common here, five sometimes. I have found females carrying 6 and 7. Rally Hess mentioned as many as 8 or 9 I believe. When addressing an ADC beaver job I find it best to orient what I do to the two adults, the larger beaver if I can. If you get the big ones the small ones usually come pretty easy. Sometimes if you get the small ones first as the big ones watch, that last big one can be a pain. When I leave a job there is no activity, no beaver. The majority of the time the last one comes with me, but at times they just end up leaving from the pressure. Certain sets will end the job either way with a catch or driving the last one away. Like to catch the last so that I don't end up with him somewhere else to deal with a second time. I still have one missing in action from last year. Missed her the past two years. At least she is absent now. Probably come back in the fall again and bring a friend. Usually get the friend first, which tips off the smart one. There was one last year that got driven from 4 locations, got him at the 5th. At one point I was 6 feet from him in a canoe, in the beginning. In town, so shooting wouldn't have been good. Don't care how many you catch, there will always be tough ones that get wised up, not from doing anything wrong, but just watching the family disappear.

Its only after the fact, like the other day, when you learn about "some young guys who set footholds at the dam and missed the beaver the winter before," as well as others who tried but failed in the adjacent pond. Guess if it was that easy everyone would do it.

Re: kit beaver size [Re: ducky] #5899333
05/10/17 09:37 AM
05/10/17 09:37 AM
Northern MN
M
MN4Life Offline
trapper
MN4Life  Offline
trapper
M

Northern MN
I blew a dam with one beaver left in the colony a couple of years ago. Fought all winter with that beaver trying to plug the dam. She kept plugging it up and I kept tearing it out. When spring finally came, it took me a week to find out where she was cutting all the brush to fix the dam and I had her overnight with a bodygrip in the run to the woods. That dam has been beaver free for over a year and a half now. Jim is right. That last beaver can be tough. I am working a job right now with one left and he has seen some family members disappear and is getting smart quick.

2020-2021 Goals
57/75 Beaver
15/100 Muskrats
3/1 Fox
0/4 Otter
0/1 Bobcat
5/1 Coyote
0/1 Marten
1/3Mink

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread