ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Evicting flyers #5918890
06/04/17 10:56 AM
06/04/17 10:56 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline OP
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline OP
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
I have an attic space at a job that has flyers. How long before the young will be able to exit through a one-way door? My cat caught two yoy yesterday (in my own yard) and they were fairly mobile, but I don't know that they could push a door open. Access is either through the plastic ridge vent and/or dormers. Both have enough gap that I can't tell where they are coming and going. I'm going to ridge guard the peak and one way the dormers. Hopefully a small tear off on one end of the ridge vent will help me figure out what is going on.

Anybody care to share any thoughts on setting up one-way type contraptions when using Ridge Guard? This will be my first time using this product.

Last edited by webfootwhacker; 06/04/17 11:00 AM.
Re: Evicting flyers [Re: webfootwhacker] #5919128
06/04/17 04:05 PM
06/04/17 04:05 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
You could use a cone of sorts for situations like you are describing with juvenile squirrels. They can at times refuse a wire door excluder as I have had it happen and watched their reaction to the new device mounted on their exit point.

Adults will exit no problem in most cases.

If you are having entries on a ridge vent you can configure the opening to fit a device of your choosing. Kind of like doing a bat job. Seal up all potential reentry points and exclude the exits with your devices.

Re: Evicting flyers [Re: webfootwhacker] #5919315
06/04/17 09:31 PM
06/04/17 09:31 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Thanks Bob, that's what I was thinking just wasn't sure how well the juveniles would cooperate. All my flyer jobs so far have been dead of winter stuff. I am going to give them another week or ten days to mature. I am not even sure that there are any juveniles in there but with no access (save a partial tear off) and no way to thoroughly inspect the ceiling space, I am just going to assume there is. I may go with caulking tube cones on the dormers since the homeowner doesn't care if the squirrels stay as long as everything gets sealed well.

While we are talking ridge vents, what is everyone's protocol before sealing them up? One these ones with no access, how do I know if there are mice, bats, etc.? Its a steep pitch...would there still be guano if bats were using it? I couldn't find any during inspection. I guess just valve it no matter what and make a return trip? A lot of my stuff is 50 miles away so I hate to make return trips for nothing...

Re: Evicting flyers [Re: webfootwhacker] #5922188
06/07/17 08:08 PM
06/07/17 08:08 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Talked to the client today. He heard them at sunset and again at midnight. Lots of running at midnight. Sounds like a flyer party. I hope the little ones are ready to move out next week.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread