ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Re dip or paint Williams cage traps #5925160
06/11/17 08:06 PM
06/11/17 08:06 PM
connecticut,madison
Y
yellowdog Offline OP
trapper
yellowdog  Offline OP
trapper
Y

connecticut,madison
I have about 20 Williams cage traps that are getting very rusted, some the brown dip isn't to bad but bottoms are in need of dip or paint.Was planning on re dipping in brown Stoes but was starting to think about thinned down paint.Drying time is really not an issue.Was wondering what others do, and what holds up best. Thanks in advance, sometimes my computer time is limited.

Re: Re dip or paint Williams cage traps [Re: yellowdog] #5925192
06/11/17 08:23 PM
06/11/17 08:23 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I had a rectangular galvanized dip pan made years ago by a furnace duct maker for dipping cage traps.

Any good dark colored Rustoleum or similar metal paint or primer cut with acetone in most cases and non latex paint will work well. Gas dipped cages like Stoes or others will work also. Some dips don't dry very well unless you add more mineral spirits to the blend.

Pressure wash and/or wire brush very well prior to painting or dipping for the best paint or dip adhesion.

I can roll the cage over to coat all sides but usually only dip the bottom and sides about 4-6 inches high. Once I am done dipping I pour the liquid into a well sealed bucket with a good O-ring lid to save for another time.

Re: Re dip or paint Williams cage traps [Re: yellowdog] #5925568
06/12/17 07:47 AM
06/12/17 07:47 AM
Maine
huntinjunkie Offline
trapper
huntinjunkie  Offline
trapper

Maine
I use 2 qts of Rustoleum (flat black and brown) Professional and cut it 50% with Acetone an then add acetone every 10 mins or so to keep consistency like skim milk (very thin)

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread