No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 4 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5930259 - 06/17/17 06:44 PM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
I just seen a pic of the cop that shot Philanderer Castillo.He aint white,thats why he wasn't guilty.

#5930525 - 06/18/17 08:04 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: Jerry Jr.]
T-Rex Offline

Loc: MN >>>
Originally Posted By: Jerry Jr.
Why in the world would you...
My guess is THC.

It was found in Castile's body. How much is unclear as it is hard to measure after death.

Castile reaching, and his girlfriend filming with the bullets flying, makes me think their brains were somewhere else.

#5930594 - 06/18/17 10:00 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
Osky Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
I see much wisdom in the different points of view posted here. Two things come to my mind regarding this tragedy I question:

Do prosecutors sometimes reach to far as to the charges, due to public and political pressure?

Secondly why was the officers training seemingly so inadequate, particularly for working in that area? It's not exactly Mayberry in that area.

A last thought. I seem to be reading of a lot more "incidents" where the LEO is a minority as in this case. Could law enforcement be bowing to political pressures and hiring too many minorities who do not meet the proper standards, just to meet quotas? Are they rushing them thru so to speak?
Status quo LEO's make mistakes as well I am not giving them a free pass.
Toughest of jobs for sure, hats off to all of them, I do however think in this case there should be consequences. It could of been one of our children who paid a price at the hands of an inexperienced officer.
Osky

www.SureDockusa.com

#5930623 - 06/18/17 10:52 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
beltrami trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: northern minnesota
I would have an easier time siding with the cop if it was only 1 or 2 rounds fired, but 7 into a car at point blank range? I have been shot before-I know what it feels like to take a bullet, after his initial shot he should have been able to "subdue" the criminal and get his gun away from him. 7 shots to subdue a seated man is a little over the top, 7 shots into a car with an innocent child in the backseat or any bystanders is just plain stupid.

Edited by beltrami trapper (06/18/17 10:54 AM)

#5930640 - 06/18/17 11:13 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: beltrami trapper]
Osky Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: beltrami trapper
I would have an easier time siding with the cop if it was only 1 or 2 rounds fired, but 7 into a car at point blank range? I have been shot before-I know what it feels like to take a bullet, after his initial shot he should have been able to "subdue" the criminal and get his gun away from him. 7 shots to subdue a seated man is a little over the top, 7 shots into a car with an innocent child in the backseat or any bystanders is just plain stupid.

Well said and I agree. As I said I think a lot of this tragedy points to lack of training and experience. Where does that blame fall?

Osky

www.SureDockusa.com

#5930644 - 06/18/17 11:18 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Loc: South metro, MN
Yes Osky, The political setting has changed with prosecutors since about the Ferguson timeframe (or Baltimore to be more exact). The current political agenda are searching high and low right now to charge cops. And city/county and political leaders wonder why crime is skyrocketing...hmmmm.

Attorneys will always try and pick apart training. They are just searching for (or more so trying to install the the thought of) negligence. IMO it is over stressed and the thing that is under stressed is the normal human God given will to survive when one is faced with (what their body is telling them) is a life or death situation. Our bodys can go on autopilot at these times in a last ditch effort to live. Training can become integrated into these movements but it's not the driving force.

Yes, some are recruited and shoved through the training process simply because of their race/gender or even political or sexual makeup. No doubt about this. Some people are also shoved to the top without maturing in their rank....thus creating a dis service to the entire department. Many department heads out there that don't have the foggiest idea of basic policework. They are oftentimes just political figurines.

That said, there are some great great minorities in policework today (and some that should have never been hired...let along promoted. But policework is a craft...that is learned and developed by doing it. This takes decades (and age) in many cases to really get a grasp of. Picking the right emotional makeup is key here. I would argue that a cities HR dept isn't the one that should be picking these people...but often times do. And Plenty of early 20s white guys out running around like 6 years olds that just drank a case of energy drinks, too.

#5930645 - 06/18/17 11:20 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Beltrami...The 7 shots tells me that he was really in fear of his life. And it's not TV. Plenty of guys that can take a round or 3 and still kill you before they lose enough blood to keep from doing so.

#5930651 - 06/18/17 11:27 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
T-Rex Offline

Loc: MN >>>
I am not aware of his level of training. At least he hit what he shot at eek

Once the adrenalin kicks in, it is the training that takes over. I'd be willing to bet his conscious mind had no idea of how many rounds he had fired. Shoot once, shoot seven times, whatever it takes to stop the threat. Excessive? It does sounds like it.

#5930656 - 06/18/17 11:32 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
It is a shame someone would fall into survival mode and philando a guy 7 times before the guy sitting in the car properly produced a weapon.

#5930658 - 06/18/17 11:34 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper

If it were MR. PRIVATE CITIZEN who philando'd a guy 7 times with no opposing threat Mr. Citizen would be in state prison making license plates and wagon running gear for below minimum wage for a few decades.

#5930659 - 06/18/17 11:35 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
beltrami trapper Offline
trapper

7 shots tells me he was shaking like a leaf, and probably leaking down his leg a little bit too. Point blank range he could have fired 1 shot and had his hand through the window and on that mans gun before he even reacted to the gunshot and take his gun away. From what I have read castile never had his gun drawn at any time. I have read about and heard the officer on the tape instantly knowing he screwed up big time by running around yelling a certain F word numerous times right after the shooting.. My brother was an officer in the metro area for over 25 years so I sympathize somewhat, I could have been going to his funeral or court date at any time

#5930661 - 06/18/17 11:40 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Maybe the cop should have waited to be shot first in case it was only a pellet gun just to be sure.

#5930663 - 06/18/17 11:41 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
A big part of the problem is the reporting of outright lies and misinformation, unarmed people were in fact armed, their hands were up and they were playing nice but that's often just a lie, nobody entered the cell where they hung themselves but that IS what is reported. Look at the Michael Brown case about everything that was reported for weeks was a lie and is a lie that lives on today. The biggest problem I see is immaturity and understanding the seriousness of situation and not following simple directions in a razor thin situation.

If I tell someone to show me their hands and the grab for their lap the last thing a guy thinks is ice cream cone. Now add drugs and alcohol to this and it does not get better it gets only worse.

Break down the stories of the last 5 years any many turned out the way they should have more then not it's just misreported to make a better story and to be more PC.

Jerry Herbst

#5930668 - 06/18/17 11:44 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Beltrami...ask your brother about your theory of shooting once and grabbing for his gun. He will disagree with you. I guarantee it.

#5930669 - 06/18/17 11:48 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper

Only in this instance yanez would have had to shoot once and then dig around in philando's pants for the weapon that was never presented.

#5930672 - 06/18/17 11:49 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: Boco]
Cole simo Offline
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
Originally Posted By: Boco
Maybe the cop should have waited to be shot first in case it was only a pellet gun just to be sure.

You mean the gun he never pulled on that trigger happy fool?

#5930676 - 06/18/17 11:53 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: Cole simo]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
Originally Posted By: Cole simo
Originally Posted By: Boco

You mean the gun he never pulled on that trigger happy fool?

He must of left his Xray glassed at home that day! LOL

Jerry Herbst

#5930681 - 06/18/17 11:57 AM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: T-Rex]
Osky Offline
trapper

Yes Calvin, lots of whites too no doubt.
At the very least from what I have seen of the tape the officer could have taken one big step back down the car and had the control position behind the deceased and in his blind spot from which to order the guys hands and body out. Many other options as well. I don't think the officer a horrible person, I just think he was unprepared, untested, and unready for that type of split second confrontation.
There are a whole bunch of darn good guys, very smart and very good with weapons who could never function effectively in a military situation without extensive training. And they get it. I think this officer panicked where maybe better/further training would have changed the outcome. If so, why did he not have it?
Osky

www.SureDockusa.com

#5930686 - 06/18/17 12:01 PM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: Osky]
beltrami trapper Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Osky
Yes Calvin, lots of whites too no doubt.
At the very least from what I have seen of the tape the officer could have taken one big step back down the car and had the control position behind the deceased and in his blind spot from which to order the guys hands and body out. Many other options as well. I don't think the officer a horrible person, I just think he was unprepared, untested, and unready for that type of split second confrontation.
There are a whole bunch of darn good guys, very smart and very good with weapons who could never function effectively in a military situation without extensive training. And they get it. I think this officer panicked where maybe better/further training would have changed the outcome. If so, why did he not have it?
Osky
exactly what I was getting at to osky, they have to be mentally prepared for these situations, and have the nerve to stand in and do it. Some people just dont have what it takes, and surely a large part of every years new recruits fits into that bill.

#5930694 - 06/18/17 12:07 PM Re: Philandro Castile [Re: Calvin]
beltrami trapper Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Calvin
Beltrami...ask your brother about your theory of shooting once and grabbing for his gun. He will disagree with you. I guarantee it.

I have and he is the one who called the stop an all out rookie mess. He had to deal with armed people hundreds if not more times in his career, he had been shot at but not hit before- he has returned fire and injured criminals, he was run over by a drunk driver, you name it he pretty much seen it and lived through it. He agrees that 7 rounds fired in that particular instance is nothing more than being scared,stupid, or both. As well as a few of his old co-workers that just stayed at my cabin last weekend.

Page 4 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 17 >