No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5930593 - 06/18/17 10:00 AM Rattlesnake bites
Hal Aggers Offline
trapper

Loc: kansas
Mother in law got bit by a prairie rattlesnake a few weeks ago and is all healed up was really surprised how fast the anti venom works. She is now going to have to see a heart dr. As the bills are coming in for life flight and hospital.
Anybody else been bit.
She was picking strawberries by the way and hit her on the back of the hand.

#5930598 - 06/18/17 10:04 AM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
J.Morse Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Michigan
I have never been bit, but related a story, briefly, a week or so ago of a customer of mine that was. He was bit on the pinky finger by a Pygmy rattler in Florida. His finger was black for awhile, then went back to normal. No antivenin was used on him.

#5930605 - 06/18/17 10:12 AM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
Pygmy rattler is like a copperhead. Not really that serious if the person is healthy. Prairie rattler is bad news. Like diamondbacks, timber rattlers and cottonmouths.

Got bit by a prairie rattler at a snake roundup. Was a small one. Maybe 16 inches long. Shouldn't have picked it up. Hard to control the head on a little one. Should have just picked it up by the tail or left it there. Got one fang in the pad of my thumb. Venom mostly came out the other fang. Venom was on the outside pad of my thumb. I wiped it off then sucked on the puncture and got it bleeding good. Made me pretty sick but I didn't go to a Dr. Got a very small dose of venom.

#5930670 - 06/18/17 11:48 AM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
Seen a pic of guy that worked at Reptile Gardens here in Rapid City they have a pile of venomous snakes and other animals from around the world. His arm was huge and black as tar then they tell you he was bit at home messing with his own collection of prairie rattlers. Not afraid of snakes but I'm not bringing them into my home!

Jerry Herbst

#5930716 - 06/18/17 01:08 PM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Law Dog]
huntrap247 Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Seen a pic of guy that worked at Reptile Gardens here in Rapid City they have a pile of venomous snakes and other animals from around the world. His arm was huge and black as tar then they tell you he was bit at home messing with his own collection of prairie rattlers. Not afraid of snakes but I'm not bringing them into my home!

Says the guy that brings skunks home! grin

That place is pretty cool. The thing I remember most is they have an absolutely huge gator there.

Or maybe a croc, not sure now.

Some people refuse to see the truth when you bludgeon them over the head with it.

Member FTA-17I and NTA
NRA life endowment member

#5930767 - 06/18/17 02:46 PM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
skippyturtle Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio
Howdy Hal. Of all the time I spent out by you setting stands and all I never seen a single snake. I looked for them in hopes of seeing one. Mike seen them regularly when I was not there.

#5930771 - 06/18/17 02:53 PM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: huntrap247]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: huntrap247
Originally Posted By: Law Dog

Says the guy that brings skunks home! grin

That place is pretty cool. The thing I remember most is they have an absolutely huge gator there.

Or maybe a croc, not sure now.

220 pound python for me that thing was huge!

Jerry Herbst

#5930778 - 06/18/17 03:01 PM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
Wiz Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
I got tagged by a cottonmouth 2 times back in 2014. I was walking up a creek like I have a thousand times before and must have stepped right next to it or on it. I felt it bite but never saw it. As I tried to get back to the sandbar behind me, it got tangled around my leg and bit me again about an inch back behind the first bit. I was very fortunate as it appeared to be 2 dry bites and I had minimal swelling and bruising (baseball size around the bites). I went to the doctor but only got a tetanus shot.

Another person I work with got bit in 2006 and only had minor swelling until the next day when she swelled up and started vomiting. She ended up in the hospital for a week.

In both cases, these snakes disproved the ridiculous myth that they don't bite under water. Why wouldn't a snake with a species name meaning "fish eater" not be able to bite under water?

#5930810 - 06/18/17 04:17 PM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
nvwrangler Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevada
Girl friend just killed a small rattler about 15 mins ago. 7 and a button. We've been cleaning up around the house and he showed up in the middle of us working.

#5930859 - 06/18/17 06:01 PM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
Hal Aggers Offline
trapper

Hey skippyturtle Mike has the big boys just south of his place on that old rock query. You coming back this year to help him?
Danny the mother in law did not know what bit here so she went to the shed and got a hoe and dug around until she found it flipped it out in the grass and killed it before she called anyone.
I was working in K.C. wife called me at work (which she never does) and tells me so I met the helicopter at the hospital. Her hand had doubled in size during the flight and they gave her some kind of pain med. That messed her up she was in no pain. Dr. Was real mad because she was so high she could not communicate with them. They gave her the anti venom about 4:30 she had got bit about 12:30 the swelling had moved up to her elbow by this time her arm got Hugh and was hot to the touch. But by the time they gave her the 2 nd bag it started going down a little. They kept her in ICU 2 days then sent her home. She had 4 bags of anti venom which the bill for it has not came yet. The life flight was $33000.

#5930876 - 06/18/17 06:15 PM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
snowy Offline
trapper

Loc: MT
I live in rattle snake country and it is odd I never hear of more people getting bit. I have had some very close calls but thank God I never have been bit. I do wear snake guards most of the time and pay a attention to my surroundings all the time. Just yesterday I was in the back country and forgot to put the guards on and I felt naked without them. Lol

Glad everything turned out fine for her.

#5931038 - 06/18/17 09:31 PM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: danny clifton]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Pygmy rattler is like a copperhead. Not really that serious if the person is healthy. Prairie rattler is bad news. Like diamondbacks, timber rattlers and cottonmouths.

They are all in the Pit Viper family whose venom is a hemotoxin.
Young ones don't know to conserve their venom yet, typically, know it is a waste on something as large as human they will not consume.
It happens some that we get a large dose OR people often grab the head to remove and inject/PUSH venom into themselves...whereas if they'd have grabbed at least an inch behind the head would not have gotten a large dose.

Glad to hear she is recovering well.

#5931043 - 06/18/17 09:34 PM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Wiz]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
Originally Posted By: Wiz

In both cases, these snakes disproved the ridiculous myth that they don't bite under water. Why wouldn't a snake with a species name meaning "fish eater" not be able to bite under water?

Never heard that ridiculous myth in my 58 yrs......how else would they grab their prey when it's fish/eels etc

#5931145 - 06/19/17 05:47 AM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
Diggerman Offline
trapper

Loc: Wi.
Originally Posted By: Hal Aggers
Hey skippyturtle Mike has the big boys just south of his place on that old rock query. You coming back this year to help him?
Danny the mother in law did not know what bit here so she went to the shed and got a hoe and dug around until she found it flipped it out in the grass and killed it before she called anyone.
I was working in K.C. wife called me at work (which she never does) and tells me so I met the helicopter at the hospital. Her hand had doubled in size during the flight and they gave her some kind of pain med. That messed her up she was in no pain. Dr. Was real mad because she was so high she could not communicate with them. They gave her the anti venom about 4:30 she had got bit about 12:30 the swelling had moved up to her elbow by this time her arm got Hugh and was hot to the touch. But by the time they gave her the 2 nd bag it started going down a little. They kept her in ICU 2 days then sent her home. She had 4 bags of anti venom which the bill for it has not came yet. The life flight was $33000.

Why the chopper?

#5931154 - 06/19/17 06:00 AM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
Hal Aggers Offline
trapper

They thought it would take to long to transport her via ambulance to kansas city about a 1 1/2 drive. There was only 1 hospital in k.c. that had anti venom. The shelf life is very short. The venom effects can be different some can shut your lungs down some can shut your heart down.

#5931180 - 06/19/17 06:47 AM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
BudGuidry Offline
trapper

Loc: Galliano,Louisiana
Cotton mouth, bad hit, 1976, spent three days in hospital, stepped on her stepping over a log, hit Achilles tendon, foot got black and swollen, pressure from the extreme swelling was the worst.doc wanted to split skin on top of foot to relieve pressure, after threatening wed fight he decided not to. Went to Bahamas on my class trip 3 weeks later on crutches

Edited by BudGuidry (06/19/17 06:49 AM)

#5931262 - 06/19/17 08:58 AM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Seen a lady on facebook that was getting her mail and picked up a "stick" on the walkway that was really a smaller rattler, she did not hold on to it very long it never said if she was bitten or not.

Jerry Herbst

#5931267 - 06/19/17 09:03 AM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
skippyturtle Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio
Originally Posted By: Hal Aggers

Do not think I will be out there this year. Got alot going on here. I have never been to the quarry

#5931273 - 06/19/17 09:12 AM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Hal Aggers]
Taximan Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Montana
About $20,000,per vial.I'm told that for $80-$100 per year,a person can get life flight covered on their insurance policy.A ranch I do predator control work for,has me on their policy,for that.

#5931310 - 06/19/17 10:57 AM Re: Rattlesnake bites [Re: Taximan]
WadeRyan Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Taximan
About $20,000,per vial.I'm told that for $80-$100 per year,a person can get life flight covered on their insurance policy.A ranch I do predator control work for,has me on their policy,for that.

You guys must have the special sauce. The hospital I work in is one of two places in Nebraska I'm told that has the anti-venom. We've had them fly from larger hospitals before to get the antivenom to take back to patient's in larger cities.

We had a lady call the other day from her vet's office. Her dog had been bit and she was inquiring about getting the antivenom. The vet was willing to give it, but obviously it isn't something you find everywhere. We were told to tell her that it was $5000 for two vials.

She was pretty dead set on getting it for her dog no matter how much it cost. I love my dogs, but I'm not dropping $5k to treat them. I'm not sure if she ended up getting it or not, as my shift had ended.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >