No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5930612 - 06/18/17 10:30 AM Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They?
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Anyone still use em? Just how handy are they to you?

I ordered a "Climber" model as well as the Victorinox Grafting knife with brass bark lifter for my Dad's Father's Day.

Looking forward to getting my new knife.

Whats your favorite Swiss Army tool? I know tweezers sure are handy. I had a blackberry thorn stick into the back of my hand right in the knuckle, and tweezers sure would have been helpful.

#5930614 - 06/18/17 10:38 AM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
I carry that mini swiss army knife. Use the knife everyday. Scissors are very handy to me

#5930617 - 06/18/17 10:42 AM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
Allan Minear Offline
trapper

Loc: Lewistown , Mt
X2 on the little pocket knife, the tweezers get a work out on a regular basis, the scissors have cut the day and date out of a lot of hunting tags and removed knots from fishing lures.
Allan

#5930621 - 06/18/17 10:48 AM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
RdFx Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
and pulling slivers, ticks ect on the tweezers.

#5930639 - 06/18/17 11:13 AM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
T-Rex Offline

Loc: MN >>>
I haven't carried one for a while. Mostly just a little too bulky for what it is, coupled by the fact that the Gestapo has taken over our airports. But, back when I traveled a lot; I alway had one. Besides the blades, obviously, I found the handiest features were the toothpick and cork screw.

BTW I would sure enjoy that grafting knife for Fathers Day, were my kids so inclined

#5930641 - 06/18/17 11:14 AM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
luvcanids Offline
trapper

Loc: SE PA ,VT,
Yeh, am a user--in 1975 my SAK saw cut the horns from three Dall sheep skulls .

#5930650 - 06/18/17 11:27 AM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
alaska viking Offline
"Made it one year not being censored"

Loc: juneau, alaska
Still have their place, but have been replaced by "multi-tools", for the most part, I think.

#5930673 - 06/18/17 11:52 AM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Swiss army knives come in various models and sizes with as much or as little junk on them as you want.They have good steel that will take an edge and keep it pretty well,and are well made.Was never a fan of the ones with a bunch of tools on them.An awl and can opener was handy along with the toothpick and tweezers in the handle(if you didn't lose them).

#5930692 - 06/18/17 12:06 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
I read that the hook is rated for 200 lbs. I see that hook being used to carry out beaver that have been tied up with a twine loop.

I currently carry a multi tool, but I think a Swiss Army will be a valuable tool.

Sure would like to have the wood saw. I guess I'll have to get the forester. I really like the forester with the standard blade rather than the one with the blade with a hole, but it doesn't come with the hook, so...... I decided to go with the climber

https://www.fruugo.us/victorinox-foreste...CFQyoaQodF9kLAg

#5930699 - 06/18/17 12:15 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
Diggerman Offline
trapper

Loc: Wi.
The little ones with the tooth pick are handy, the big ones are good for a bruised thigh.

#5930701 - 06/18/17 12:20 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
Personally I have no use for either/any multitool; when I use a tool I want a Tool not an excuse for a Tool. Older brother, career Air Force nco, brought me a new Swiss Army knife direct from Europe 3 or 4 times as I was growing up, traded one to a kid I didn't like and "lost" the others.
He finely did give me one good knife, a Tree Brand 3 blade.
I've had a few Leatherman type things given to me too over the years and again gave one or two to guys I didn't much like and threw some away.
A tool should have one thing that it does better than any other tool. Swiss Army knives excel at being sold.

#5930702 - 06/18/17 12:22 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Diggerman]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
Originally Posted By: Diggerman
The little ones with the tooth pick are handy, the big ones are good for a bruised thigh.
This is a fair evaluation, but a finish nail is just as good a tooth pick.

#5930723 - 06/18/17 01:17 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
humptulips Offline
trapper

Loc: Washington State
When I was working I carried a Swiss army knife. Not one of the bigger ones,2 knife blades, awl, can opener, screwdrivers, tweezers and tooth pick. I never was a fan of the shape of the knife blade but a pretty versatile tool for unexpected stuff. The best part though was the ring on them. I would lose a knife every day crawling under logs to reach a choker if not for the ring and a chain I attached it to my belt loop.

#5930726 - 06/18/17 01:23 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
more compact than a multi tool , useful , I don't carry one much but they can be a more socially acceptable knife for urban travels.

I like to keep it basic , tools I find useful are the blade , can opener , bottle opener , screw driver cork screw , awl the spartan looks like about the Right amount of stuff without going overboard

my wife carried one very similar and my daughter has a pioneer that has if I recall larger blade smaller blade awl can opener , bottle opener/screw driver , she mostly uses it in her are kit to sharpen her specialty pencils for pencil drawings

#5931019 - 06/18/17 09:11 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
newhouse114 Offline
trapper

Loc: S.W.Oregon
I think I have skinned, quartered, and cut antlers on three different moose with a farmer model SAK.

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index

#5931053 - 06/18/17 09:49 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
fishadict Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon, WI
I carry a simple one all the time. I think it is the Tinker - regular and short knife blade, screw driver, can opener, bottle opener, toothpick and tweezers. Perfect for me.

fa

#5931071 - 06/18/17 10:01 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
Not as handy as a multi-tool, like a Leatherman or the generic equivalent...at least for me.
I gota have pliers and a file which are not on a SAR.

#5931585 - 06/19/17 06:14 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
Georgia Terrapin Offline
trapper

Loc: Woodstock, Georgia
It's the most important tool in the toolbox. I have the Hunter, I believe. (3, one in each car.) The tweezers have the sharpest, and therefore, best, point available. There's a saw that I use more frequently than I ever would have imagined. The knives are sharp and hold an edge. I routinely use the screwdriver to tighten the handle on my favorite skillet.

I was a Scoutmaster, and lost my Swiss Army Knife. A year later, one of my Scouts returned it. It somehow had landed in the back of his pickup truck in Georgia, made a journey to the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico where it worked hard for a summer, then returned to Georgia. He remembered it was mine and returned it. That one is my favorite and it still has a sharp edge on each blade after owning it and using it hard for 15 years.

I keep one in an accessible pocket of my chest waders when trapping, just in case.

You should get one.

Regards,
GT

#5931611 - 06/19/17 07:07 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
Farm Manager Offline
trapper

Loc: Nashville, TN
Like Fishadict, I like the Tinker for an everyday carry knife. Not too bulky, the rounded ends are easy on the pockets, and it covers the basic tools that you might need. I try to have somekinda multi-tool with me at all times. Lots of folks have them but never carry them, therefore never realizing how handy they can be. Saved me several trips to the truck over the years.
I happened into a by chance situation once where a friend of a friend whose Father was a Judge, had a big box full of pocket knives that had been confiscated at the courthouse. The fellow that had them had already gone through and picked out the Case, Boker, and Buck brand knives (it appeared) but he said to fill my pockets. I was a little hesitant to literally fill my pockets but did make a good haul. Several different models of SAKs and a few single blade lock backs including one Benchmade.

#5931631 - 06/19/17 07:26 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives -- Just How Useful Are They? [Re: Aix sponsa]
52Carl Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
Do they make one with a locking blade?
If not, I'll just keep my multi-tool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >