ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5929238
06/16/17 06:41 AM
06/16/17 06:41 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
With skunks and ground hogs in my area, and every area is different, We can not make it bulletproof. Skunks and ground hogs like edges. Every yard is lot 1/4 acre to 3 acres that is fenced in with landscaping along those fences. big trees that have the hollow hole at the bottom. raised flower beds and the list goes on. The skunks love this habitat and the hog well he will just dig a den in the middle of the yard just like in a hay field. So I am blessed I guess, with this problem LOL Every day we get hog calls, not every one is sold but we get a lot of calls. Where once I was the squirrel man, now the ground hogs have taken over or at least running neck and neck with them, and it is because of the yard habitats, Landscape is habitat, and the yard is a better habitat with less natural mortality. here is a pic of a middle of the yard den as well as under the shed so all the proofing does not matter here LOL

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5929247
06/16/17 07:05 AM
06/16/17 07:05 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Yes, I use the term "bulletproof" advisedly. It is a concept to be approached but seldom, if ever, achieved.

Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5929312
06/16/17 08:48 AM
06/16/17 08:48 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
As a kid I hunted chucks in farmers fields, not in town of course, but now they are not only in suburbia, but downtown and in heavily wooded areas with only small lawns where I never knew chucks to be. I often wonder if the well meaning have released them in woodlots near homes because the chuck issue seems to be almost epidemic, something for which I certainly have no complaints. I couldn't finish the last sentence before the phone rang, woodchuck. I should ask the state what their records indicate for number of chucks taken annually, increasing?

If a client has an open "clean" level yard with only one shed that can be excluded, they might be a good candidate for making the yard inhospitable. However, if there are chucks in all of the surrounding neighborhoods and their yard has a flower or vegetable gardens I think it's sometimes best to leave everything as is so that the same holes can easily be located and reset year after year when chucks do return. Like beaver, chucks seem to gravitate to the same spots when they do return. And though beaver and chucks will come back to the same exact spots time after time, it might not be every year or even every other year. Just have to deal with them as they show up.

I'm always amazed that chucks will dig out an old hole, easily finding a hole that was "totally filled in and leveled."

Back to patience. I had trapped a location for several weeks this year, perhaps a month, catching 3. I was hoping to be done, just wanted to be done there actually, after catching the last in a foothold. Just got the call that another has showed up so I have to go back, something that doesn't usually happen because I don't usually leave. I guess that's why sometimes it's best to leave sets for many weeks as chucks just keep coming. Just saves resetting. With these long term setting locations, if cage trapping, double door cage traps are a must. When a chuck suddenly appears in a trap after two weeks I'm going to guess he didn't just pop up out of the hole.

Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5929692
06/16/17 09:06 PM
06/16/17 09:06 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
My hogs will start to disperse here in a few weeks. With August into Sept being the biggest movement. It is not uncommon for me to take 4 or 5 ground hogs over a few weeks from these spots that have 1 ground hog then 5 plus days another show up and so on. when the area has a established population around. All kinds of reasons make the hogs move around.

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5930947
06/18/17 09:00 PM
06/18/17 09:00 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Finally got a call for a female chuck with a litter. The lady saw 4 so I set 5 positive sets, 3 at the house and 2 at the shed. Got to get lucky once in a while. Got them all in a few hours as I was lucky enough to put the correct number of sets at each spot. Left a few sets one more day upon request. Nothing. At least with mom and kids there usually isn't any waiting. Nice to set and pull.

Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5932961
06/21/17 07:27 PM
06/21/17 07:27 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Not sure of the world record for leaving a chuck set in place, but we just hit day 64. With that said, most would think, why?????? I sort of wanted to pick the trap up at day 51 with chuck number 5, but the nice lady was worried as she had just planted the garden. Not wanting to be responsible for the possible loss of the garden, especially after all of my effort and her expense, we left it. Just got the call, chuck number 6. Hard to beat, a bait free, maintenance free set that just catches. Only have made trips to remove critters. Don't know how long this will persist, but probably won't leave it over the winter.

Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5933376
06/22/17 08:37 AM
06/22/17 08:37 AM
Arkansas
Jason Turner Offline
trapper
Jason Turner  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
Jim, was the baitless trap that caught a positive set at a den hole?

Wildlife Removal, Etc.
Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5933540
06/22/17 12:09 PM
06/22/17 12:09 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Established burrows with a history of occupation and pup rearing over a period of years will have intermittent visitations from burrowing animals forever.

A den is always of interest to others seeking an opportunity of a potentially unoccupied site or a port in a storm sort of hole. These areas will be a continued invitation for sure.

Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5933971
06/22/17 10:28 PM
06/22/17 10:28 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Jason, yup. There is a single den down over a bank that we found, I guess about 25 feet down. There is a long hill that goes a long way down to a pond from there. The lady has a garden on top, too close for comfort. Last year they ate it up. We have been keeping the problem at bay since spring. I have a metal nose cone over the hole. I just bring a new trap each time and slide it into the nose cone after pulling a catch, literally takes about one minute. Animals do return to the same spots year after year as Bob noted, beaver to the same ponds and streams in the same places repeatedly. Once you have found bank dens for beaver and chuck holes it makes it a breeze doing a job. When you get the call you pretty much know what gear you will need and when each set will go before you get there. Seems like even when you fill dens in, they will get dug up by the next passer by. I think its been a good ten years of den sets with double door traps.

Only draw back in this business is I keep finding ticks crawling on me. Judy just dug another one out of my back. One local guy just died of Powassan, one of about ten diseases you can get.

Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5935433
06/25/17 08:18 AM
06/25/17 08:18 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Pulled early evidently on one location. Just wanted to be done really. Had caught 3 initially. Got the call another had come back and dug the den out yet again, so I should have stayed. Went back and got him in a few days, a small one. So, left it in this time as another small one or more could still show up. Has been a banner year for chucks for sure in this area so catching so many at one location a number of times has been more common.

Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5936147
06/26/17 07:06 AM
06/26/17 07:06 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I have 2 jobs right, now put trap down hog takes off, leave trap no activity, pull trap hog comes back with in 5 days put force on both, hog digs another hole out and takes off again. LOL one job cust called yesterday hog back after 5 days dug another hole I am hanging cable today. this happens a lot in my area where home owners and such catch the hogs and turn them loose in the park or school grounds.

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5936259
06/26/17 10:02 AM
06/26/17 10:02 AM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline
trapper
Kermit  Offline
trapper
K

Ontario
Saw a ground hog sunning himself on the top of a fence post yesterday. Would wire or a positive set be better? Maybe a leaning tree set?

Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: MChewk] #5955527
07/20/17 07:26 PM
07/20/17 07:26 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Electronic trap monitors are great for customers who can't/won't do required trap checks. I recommend TrapSmart - great guys.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Sometimes Patience with Chucks Pays Off [Re: Jim Comstock] #5956313
07/21/17 06:02 PM
07/21/17 06:02 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Patience pays, 17 days & their he was. Still waiting on his buddy.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread