No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5931055 - 06/18/17 09:50 PM Dressing pen raised quail.
coonbone Offline
trapper

Loc: TN
Looks like I'm about to be given about 30 Texas A@M quail. What's the best way to clean em?

#5931068 - 06/18/17 09:59 PM Re: Dressing pen raised quail. [Re: coonbone]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
for eating or bait making?

I skin birds cuz I hate the plucking mess and I use the capes for art/crafts and it's easier to keep up with feathers that way

after gutting snip off head and feet and wings with shears.

For bait, shear off heads and feet and wings and toss in grinder...BUT, after gutting.,,,lay gut piles individually on wax paper on cookie sheet and freeze,,then put in Ziploc bags so they can be removed singly when needed.
Try and take how many needed each day in smaller baggie.
If you don't they freeze as a solid chunk and must be chopped apart.

#5931107 - 06/19/17 02:59 AM Re: Dressing pen raised quail. [Re: coonbone]
KeithC Offline
trapper

Loc: Champaign County, Ohio.
I pop the quails heads off. Cut the legs off at the knee joint. Cut the wings off at the body. Pull the skin off. Cut the tail off slightly deep. Pull the guts and organs out with my index finger from the tail hole. Pull the trachea and crop out from the other end. Run water through the neck hole and out the tail hole. Rinse the body and put the quail carcass in cold water.

I can butcher a quail faster than I can type about it. I am lousy at typing though.

Keith

#5931173 - 06/19/17 06:37 AM Re: Dressing pen raised quail. [Re: coonbone]
BudGuidry Offline
trapper

Loc: Galliano,Louisiana
Clean then like you would a chicken

#5931667 - 06/19/17 08:02 PM Re: Dressing pen raised quail. [Re: coonbone]
Farm Manager Offline
trapper

Loc: Nashville, TN
Clip off head, tail, wings, and legs with some good game shears (the disposable bandage scissors work good). Cut down both sides of the spine and when you pull it out of the carcass most of the entrails come out with it. Then peel the skin off and rinse.