ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Muskrat exclusion work #5934067
06/23/17 01:04 AM
06/23/17 01:04 AM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
I've been under contract with a few subdivisions the last couple of years removing muskrats from their lakes. They are located around prime muskrat habitat and have been dealing with them for years. They have incurred major damage over time, as the bank has eroded and collapsed. Of course I can't do anything about the dens that were already made in years prior, and although I've been keeping up with the muskrat removal fairly well, I can't be there 24/7, so when another one moves in, it can cause more damage before anyone calls to notify me.

Although the HOA's pay for the removal, I have been approached by several landowners who would like a permanent solution for their property. I know I've seen it mentioned here before, but has anyone ever successfully done muskrat exclusion work? I was thinking PVC coated welded wire, starting at the edge of the yard and extending out to at least 6 feet into the water, and then cover that with rip rap? One subdivision is very large and quite expensive, so I know once I do one several more will jump on board, and I don't want to take this on if it's going to be a futile effort.

My biggest concern is that if you're not doing the entire lake at one time, muskrats could potentially come in from the sides of the wire barrier where the property ends. Still, I would think they would go for the easier areas that have no barrier. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

Re: Muskrat exclusion work [Re: _fletch_] #5934211
06/23/17 09:35 AM
06/23/17 09:35 AM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
LOL. sorry, just made me laugh, what is the matter with people? They'd rather have their entire lake covered in PVC coated wire mesh than see a few muskrats every now and then? I just envisioned this cartoon where a giant concrete mixer shows up and fills in the lake, just to make sure there is no living creature around! Sorry, couldn't help myself there.
Existing dens can be collapsed and filled in, that will discourage the next one from just moving in.
Other than that, good for you, keep up the good work and catch some muskrats! smile

Re: Muskrat exclusion work [Re: _fletch_] #5947184
07/10/17 08:17 AM
07/10/17 08:17 AM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
I pour a bag of quickcrete in the holes if there large and fill dirt afterward. this solution works well in my pond.and after a few years since we own it, i have very minimal damage as i keep up with them.

Re: Muskrat exclusion work [Re: _fletch_] #5947619
07/10/17 05:24 PM
07/10/17 05:24 PM
PA
P
pick65 Offline
trapper
pick65  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Have you heard of gabions?
see link below.

https://www.gabionsupply.com/

pick65

Re: Muskrat exclusion work [Re: pick65] #5947865
07/10/17 10:01 PM
07/10/17 10:01 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted By: pick65
Have you heard of gabions?
see link below.

https://www.gabionsupply.com/

pick65

Thanks for that link. I may order something from them for a home project I have coming up.

OP, if you do decide to go with pvc coated wire, I recommend Riverdale aquamesh. High quality coated wire. It's what many lobster and crab traps are made with. I'm buying another roll of 1.5"X1.5" and a roll of 1"x1" on Thursday. If you happen to choose 1.5", the Square wire is more rigid and easier to work with than the 1.5" Hex. Just throwing that out there...

Re: Muskrat exclusion work [Re: _fletch_] #5948031
07/11/17 06:58 AM
07/11/17 06:58 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Lay down 8' chain link fence 2 ft above waterline and 6' below, along the dam, secured with large rip rap rock is how I was taught to permanently deter future problems.
I got the fence from the local scrap yard but had to buy the rip rap for the HOA.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread