ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ADC Pricing Advice #5932662
06/21/17 11:15 AM
06/21/17 11:15 AM
VT
ahb70 Offline OP
trapper
ahb70  Offline OP
trapper

VT
Just wondering what others charge for ADC work?
Do you charge per hour, or per animal?
It would be helpful if rates were posted.
I am in Vt and have no idea what to charge.
I was thinking charging per catch.

200.00 beaver

100.00 skunk

100.00 woodchuck

100.00 coon

50.00 squirrel

I was doing it as a courtesy, as well as to secure more trapping land. But now the phone is ringing and I feel I should get some compensation.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5932805
06/21/17 03:13 PM
06/21/17 03:13 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Your phone will do a lot of ringing when you work for nothing. A lot of things will change when you start charging. Is this going to be a full time job or a part time job. It will depend on your service area and a ton of other factors. When money hits the table you have a lot of other responsibly to the customers and to other that are in this type of work. There are a lot of cost that go into the cost of running a business. I get about 85% of the jobs I look at. But you have to remember I am in a rural area. Not much help, but I am sure the full time guys will jump in. One thing I never do is try and under cut the competition. I just do my best to give better service.

Last edited by Getting There; 06/21/17 03:17 PM.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5932867
06/21/17 04:35 PM
06/21/17 04:35 PM
Central Florida/ Formerly Ohio
H
Hoppytrapsfur Offline
trapper
Hoppytrapsfur  Offline
trapper
H

Central Florida/ Formerly Ohio
I closed, well sold my pest control business 10 yrs. ago, back then my pricing was in residential areas, not rural, no beaver.

Skunks. $100.

Squirrels, raccoons, groundhog, $35

Bats. $100.

Honey bees. $100.

Remember most states require permits and or licenses, insurance, etc.

You aren't on the trap line either. You have to Humanely Euthanize them off propert, permits are usually required for that also.

Do lots of research before you start can get yourself in BIG trouble with the game people.

Retired from fire dept, trapping and loving it here in FL. Have snared a few Armordilla for friends.

Best wishes

Hoppy

"Dad gum it" Larry C. RIP
Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5933298
06/22/17 05:52 AM
06/22/17 05:52 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
$50 squirrels? Minimum $275 and from there the price goes ^. 9 out of 10 times you'll need to do some type of seal up unless homeowner or yourself has no interest in that type of work.

I'd do some homework "research" on this matter because you need to be able to justify your price with your skill level. Someone telling you what to charge can jam you up the long run.

Last edited by TDHP; 06/22/17 05:53 AM.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5934021
06/22/17 11:29 PM
06/22/17 11:29 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
There is a big reason why we dont post our rates on here...will be way too many opinions expressed and we all charge diff than each other...come to a wct seminar and talk in person

Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5934762
06/23/17 11:32 PM
06/23/17 11:32 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
I had the same question, and so did many others when they were first starting. Most of us got the same type of answer that wasn't very clear. It was usually something like "it depends".

While that may seem frustrating, it's true. What works for me may not work for you. The answer to how much you should charge is how much do YOU need to charge to be competitive while still being profitable and honest. You need to figure out who your clients will be, what services you're going to offer, how much it will cost you to do it, and how valuable do you feel like your services are worth.

My prices change job by job, because I don't know how much one job will need to be compared to another job down the road. You'll need to put pencil to paper to figure out your answer. You definitely want to be profitable (that's the point) while offering fair prices for you both.

Be flexible and always get paid what you're worth.

Good luck!

Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5934778
06/24/17 12:21 AM
06/24/17 12:21 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I am a beaver control trapper.When I worked as an exclusive full time agent for a company,I was paid $30\hr and $100\day per diem.Full benefits also.Company supplied all equipment and vehicle.
Freelancing Its $75 per beaver and $.45\km milage.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5934971
06/24/17 11:19 AM
06/24/17 11:19 AM
eastern washington
B
BillyTraps Offline
trapper
BillyTraps  Offline
trapper
B

eastern washington
Where I live..
If I needed a plumber to glue plastic pipes together, he would charge about $70 hr
If I needed carpenter to hit his thumb with a hammer, he would charge about $70 hr
If I needed an electrician to check my shorts, he would charge about $70 hr
Q: so what should I expect to pay a professional, with license and insurance, to remove nuisance wildlife?
A: more $$$ than those examples, because the job requires more skill and harder work.

just my opinion

Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5935000
06/24/17 12:16 PM
06/24/17 12:16 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Charge what you want,Just saying what I work\worked for.I made a good living,and got a good pension out of it to boot.Doing the freelance you obviously have to charge more because you have all the overhead and have to provide for your own pension,benefits etc,unlike when hired on as an exclusive agent.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5935222
06/24/17 08:06 PM
06/24/17 08:06 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
The difference in animals bothers me a lot. It cost me just as much to catch and dispose of a coon as it does a skunk. It takes just as much gas, wear on tires, insurance to catch a ground hog as a skunk. Why would you charge less for one than the other.

Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5935375
06/25/17 02:44 AM
06/25/17 02:44 AM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
those rates seam high but the cost of doing business is high in its self do you all guarantee your work? by that I mean if john doe calls and says I have coons knocking over my trash cans do you guarantee to fix the problem and for how long? I know you cant say forever because eventually new ones will disperse in,or heck it might be a different critter all together. I was always scared to charge for a nuisance job always figured it was like selling air! the un forseen can make you look bad! when actually your in the right but the general public has no idea what is truelly going on

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: Jim Bethell] #5936280
06/26/17 10:27 AM
06/26/17 10:27 AM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Jim Bethell
The difference in animals bothers me a lot. It cost me just as much to catch and dispose of a coon as it does a skunk. It takes just as much gas, wear on tires, insurance to catch a ground hog as a skunk. Why would you charge less for one than the other.

Could it have something to do with free market, like supply and demand?
You can probably find somebody to trap a raccoon or a ground hog for little money all day long, but fewer people may be inclined to trap a skunk for that. It also has to do with how inclined the client is to pay a certain amount for an animal's removal. A person may be more eager to get rid of a skunk because it smells bad and they don't want to get themselves or their dogs sprayed by a skunk. A ground hog somewhere under a pile of wood in the yard is way less concerning. A skunk den under the front porch is nothing people want to put up with. So there.

Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: TONY.F] #5936284
06/26/17 10:30 AM
06/26/17 10:30 AM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: TONY.F
those rates seam high but the cost of doing business is high in its self do you all guarantee your work? by that I mean if john doe calls and says I have coons knocking over my trash cans do you guarantee to fix the problem and for how long? I know you cant say forever because eventually new ones will disperse in,or heck it might be a different critter all together. I was always scared to charge for a nuisance job always figured it was like selling air! the un forseen can make you look bad! when actually your in the right but the general public has no idea what is truelly going on

No! Because you can't, period.
Does the weather man guaranty you the sun will shine tomorrow?

Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5937061
06/27/17 09:21 AM
06/27/17 09:21 AM
VT
ahb70 Offline OP
trapper
ahb70  Offline OP
trapper

VT
Thanks to all for the feedback.
It has given me some things to consider.

Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5937174
06/27/17 12:48 PM
06/27/17 12:48 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
Nuisance removal has always been of interest to me. But the general population in this area will not pay to have any critters removed. As long as it isn't destroying things right under their noses they could care less. But honestly I feel like a scab when I don't get something out of the ordeal. And quite honestly its a one and done operation if I don't at least get trapping rites on their property. But I know how much it cost to run a buisness. So im not going to step on toes by undercutting the guy that forks out the major cash to operate a company. As of now their isn't a nuisance removal company within 100 miles from me. So im not stealing food of any ones plate

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5937254
06/27/17 03:50 PM
06/27/17 03:50 PM
Albany, NY
B
bobsheedy Offline
trapper
bobsheedy  Offline
trapper
B

Albany, NY

Your pricing will depend on your location--urban, suburban, rural. Also take into consideration the distance from home. I think the beaver price is too high unless you're dealing with rich people from NYC. How much can a dairy farmer really spend? The squirrel will take about as much work as your other animals. PM me if you need to.

Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: Traps R Us] #5937814
06/28/17 08:50 AM
06/28/17 08:50 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: Uwe
Originally Posted By: Jim Bethell

Could it have something to do with free market, like supply and demand?
You can probably find somebody to trap a raccoon or a ground hog for little money all day long, but fewer people may be inclined to trap a skunk for that. It also has to do with how inclined the client is to pay a certain amount for an animal's removal. A person may be more eager to get rid of a skunk because it smells bad and they don't want to get themselves or their dogs sprayed by a skunk. A ground hog somewhere under a pile of wood in the yard is way less concerning. A skunk den under the front porch is nothing people want to put up with. So there.

^^^^^^^^^^^ yep

Skunks require a little more risk to the ADC operator too, I use open cages for skunk trapping just like raccoons (because I have had zero success with enclosed traps). Walking up and grabbing a cage with a raccoon in it and putting it in the back of the truck, that don't work with a skunk, they tend to spray you if you do it like that. You need to take the time to cover it, then you need to transport it, then release or euthanize it. Each step requires risk on the operators part because if it sprays now you have some cleanup cos too. Cousin bob can catch that raccoon and relocate it, but he will not take care of a skunk in a trap

Beavers are more work than raccoon too. Beaver work is hash all not in the customer back yard under the bird feeder

And resetting a 330 takes longer than putting a new cage trap down. Pricing is the hardest part of ADC work, because if you are going to do it full time. You need to make a full time wage. So it's not a "well it only takes a few minutes to set a cage trap and then pick it up and dispose of the animal"

Typical single raccoon causing problem:
Customer calls and takes 15 minutes to discuss their issue with you
Drive to customers house 10-50 minutes
Discuss at site the raccoon problem, write contract, set and bait cage, customer hand-holding as you explain everything they want to know 15-45 minutes
Return next day to pick up raccoon, talk with customer, get payment for raccoon 15-20 min
(No time added for driving to pick up as it should be in route for day)
After you return home for the day you need to take care of raccoon, release or euthanize & dispose 15 minutes, and clean cage and reload in truck
So this is basic easy raccoon job : 1 hour minimum to 2 hours

So how much per hour. Oh and is that raccoon job going to be the 1 hour or 2 job, do you know before you price it? Or do you decide to charge for an average if 1.5 hours per raccoon ?

Oh wait you have to record the capture and keep records of it 10 minutes for administrative time

What about the time on the phone with the person that decided not to hire you, or worse the one that had you come out to the house and didn't hire you. (Someone has to pay for that)

Insurance? Advertising? Phone? Vehicle cost ?

$69-$100 hour is what may cover all above costs for that raccoon

So cost to capture one raccoon $138-$200

And the customer sees you at their house for maybe 25-45 minutes

SEE WHY EVERYONE SAYS " it depends"

Some operators numbers are lower some are higher. This is just an example, hope it helps

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5937836
06/28/17 09:20 AM
06/28/17 09:20 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
And in the north you have 7-8 months to make 12 months of wages

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5937875
06/28/17 10:24 AM
06/28/17 10:24 AM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
very well said Michigan Trappin!

Re: ADC Pricing Advice [Re: ahb70] #5938065
06/28/17 02:41 PM
06/28/17 02:41 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
I no longer charge per animal. I give a flat rate based on my overhead and profit I want to make. Head count can cost you money. Like when a homeowner calls and the mother raccoon has moved on because they beat on the walls. Or landowner shoots the beaver so you don't catch as many. Too many things to vary as said that will determine what YOU should charge. Good luck

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread