Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Books on Collector Traps #5936271
06/26/17 10:15 AM
06/26/17 10:15 AM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Do the values of traps fluctuate enough that new book purchases are needed yearly? Or could a recent edition be enough to give a good basis? I'm not a collector, but I have a couple old traps that I like cause they're cool looking. I know, that sounds like denial. The value of the trap interest me far less than the history of the trap. But still, kind-of want to know approx value of those I don't want to keep, or those I want to purchase. A lot of my interest has been on the Victors and B&L traps. Especially those that appeared in advertisements from the 30's and 40's (maybe older). As a kid, I'd look through the old magazine/catalog stuff my grandpa had that belonged to his dad. There were no trappers in my family, but that's where my interest started in trapping. I like that the traps from that time period are still around and just as good today. Love the old users on my line! Others, I just like to look at. So if anyone has a book idea to fit my situation, or other suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Books on Collector Traps [Re: cfowler] #5936289
06/26/17 10:41 AM
06/26/17 10:41 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
I don't think it is necessary to purchase a new price guide every year. As a general rule, prices don't change that much. In fact, prices on the very common collector traps remain pretty much the same over an extended period of time.

Even the old Frodelius & Burt guides are useful when it comes to relative values. You just need to take into account the time factor to get actual prices.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Books on Collector Traps [Re: wissmiss] #5936598
06/26/17 07:07 PM
06/26/17 07:07 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Thank you!

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Books on Collector Traps [Re: cfowler] #5936831
06/26/17 10:21 PM
06/26/17 10:21 PM
North Missouri
L
longbow31 Offline
trapper
longbow31  Offline
trapper
L

North Missouri
Uh oh Cliff....Don't tell me the bug got ya.

Re: Books on Collector Traps [Re: longbow31] #5936840
06/26/17 10:29 PM
06/26/17 10:29 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
NO! Not me bud! My wife WON'T have it! laugh There's just a few that interest me honestly. Most I could care less. They're cool to look at in someone else's collection. Even fun when I find one someone is looking for. But I think I can stop at a dozen or two. I really like using some of the older traps too. Especially rat traps. Been wondering where you've been. Send me a PM and let me know if you have any specific interest I can keep an eye out for you on. I know you're actually collecting them.

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Books on Collector Traps [Re: cfowler] #5938021
06/28/17 01:42 PM
06/28/17 01:42 PM
Candor NY
B
Bruce1 Offline
trapper
Bruce1  Offline
trapper
B

Candor NY
I would not buy every year,Vance has a pocket guide sold on Ebay.Some prices are way high in books and some low.Use a book as a guide as to how rare a trap is, ect.Some traps are one of a kind,1904 Laramie Clutch only 12 ever made,$ 4000 -7000 range.I determine value by how much is in my wallet.Study online forums,american trap collectors, ebay sales,join North American Trap Collectors Association.I think $ 30.00 gets you a bimonthly magazine, well worth the money.Vance 1999 collector guide is a good book.Gertells "Steel Traps of North America" is excellent reference book,contains no pricing.If you can go to State Trapping Shows alot of Antique Traps show up at these events,especially in Northeast USA.Hope this helps a little, Bruce.

Re: Books on Collector Traps [Re: Bruce1] #5938188
06/28/17 06:16 PM
06/28/17 06:16 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Thanks Bruce, I appreciate that info. My wallet doesn't allow for much exploration into the trap collecting world. Most of what I have, like 8 traps, has been obtained through estate auctions. Most would be considered users with readable pans. I've got a couple decent finds. Other than that, general value is interesting and even useful, but I like the history of the trap as a reason to keep it.

~You Grin, You're In~
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector