Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5944903 - 07/07/17 09:08 AM Positioning snares on game trail - how to?
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Arkansas
A buddy and I are tasked with getting rid of feral hogs on several thousand acres of row crop land. The land is bordered by tree lines and sloughs. There are many distinct game trails through the wood lines. There are lots of fresh tracks noting recent travel on the trails (heavy rains lately). We checked snare sets last night and found several snares lying on the ground with fresh tracks down the middle of the trails where the snares were set. (DOH!!!) We have tried to use natural materials to hang/position the snares. We have also used a black wire that I believe is 16 gauge to make a "hook" to hang the snare from natural materials. Sometimes the snares are not "square" with the trail (hanging at a slight angle to the direction of the trail) due to the materials we are trying to hang them from. I will try to get pictures this weekend.

I am very new to using snares and am open to tips, suggestions and tricks of the trade. I was curious about using standard sewing thread to position snares on trails at a more desirable angle. Given my limited experience, I would think it would hold the 1/8" snare in place but would also break free without much resistance. ??? The tracks and sign show a lot of activity in the area. The pigs are there. The tracks are on the game trails we are targeting since the snares have been hung. We are obviously not doing something right... HELP, PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

Edited by ozarkhunter (07/07/17 09:09 AM)

#5944978 - 07/07/17 10:29 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
bctomcat Online   content
trapper

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC Can
A system that I use to hold snares consistently, in any position you want, is to use an 11ga wire support tied to a bush or tree. The snare is hooked to this relatively stiff wire support with a whammy. I use a double ferrule as the whammy on my snares.

Edited by bctomcat (07/07/17 10:38 AM)

#5944981 - 07/07/17 10:32 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
Snare supports will make your life easier . Also support collars on your snares is must. Or just bend your wire in inverted s . Thread snare thru the wire to make solid. Only part of snare that should move when fired is the lock. You can't do that unless you have solid support. You need to buy a snaring book. Maybe master land snaring bye Newt sterling.

#5945018 - 07/07/17 11:39 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Forget trying to make do with natural stuff. That's for days that you forgot your equipment at the house. Buy some annealed wire and use that. My favorite is 11 gauge. For snaring in entanglement (trees) I use fencing staples to attach support wires to trees along the trails. Attach your snare by using a support collar or electrical tape.

For open trails, 3/8" rebar with 11 gauge support wire is my first choice. Wooden stakes with wire are my second choice.

Get some wire.

#5945020 - 07/07/17 11:41 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

You want your snare support to be solid. When they hit the snare, the only thing that should move is your lock. Leave the string at home.

Set those snares square on the trail, rather than angled. A good support wire and attachment will make this easy. Swivels will save you from losing some hogs. I don't set one without a swivel anymore.

#5945034 - 07/07/17 11:56 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Thanks all!

We are currently using the pre-made hog/wolf snares from Dakota Line. They have a plastic "collar" on the snare cable for positioning. Seems our wire is too flimsy to position them correctly.

"Only part of snare that should move when fired is the lock."
"When they hit the snare, the only thing that should move is your lock."

This is a new concept to me. Told you I was "green".

I suppose coat hanger wire would be a better option than the 16 gauge wire until I can get some of the 11 gauge wire?

I will check out the book suggested.

#5945062 - 07/07/17 12:13 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
thskeer Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
take a piece of 16 ga wire 6 feet long and put the ends in a vise. pull the slack out, bending at the center, so it is now about 3 feet long. Then put the bent end into a variable speed drill. run the drill to twist the wires together. not so tight it breaks, and as you go youll see it stiffen up greatly. Then use this doubled wire as supports until you get some 11 or 9 ga wire.

#5945118 - 07/07/17 01:12 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper

Loc: Rodney,Ohio
Id double up 16ga wire before using
coat hanger as its likely to break on you.

Personally id just wait on the mail man until my wire came.

#5945129 - 07/07/17 01:23 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Michigan
The best advise is get Newts book, it will shorten your learning curve greatly. Snaring is easy if you understand the whole concept. Ounce you get the proper support system down it will make huge difference...

#5945133 - 07/07/17 01:24 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: bctomcat]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Michigan
Originally Posted By: bctomcat
A system that I use to hold snares consistently, in any position you want, is to use an 11ga wire support tied to a bush or tree. The snare is hooked to this relatively stiff wire support with a whammy. I use a double ferrule as the whammy on my snares.

This system works very well.. Thanks bc..

#5945199 - 07/07/17 02:26 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Anyone watched this video?

I googled the name "Newt Sterling" and found this. $49... might order it.

#5945202 - 07/07/17 02:29 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

This is a good book. It's definitely worth buying.

#5945216 - 07/07/17 02:59 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Found a brief review of the video here on the forum. Found the video for $10 less than another seller... ordered it and a 4 lb roll of 9 gauge annealed wire. A MAJOR online seller has the book for $44.98. I found it on 2 different trapping supply sites for $10. I just spent my "allowance" on the DVD and wire. I will definitely keep the book on my "need" list.

THANKS AGAIN!

#5945238 - 07/07/17 03:32 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
9 ga may not fit in the wammy/support collar but you'll see when you get it....that's why I carry 11 ga for certain customers.

Newt is THE MAN and will answer your questions here after you view his dvd.

Hope to see your catch pix soon!!!!!

#5945345 - 07/07/17 05:47 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: traprjohn]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: traprjohn

Newt is THE MAN and will answer your questions here after you view his dvd.

Hope to see your catch pix soon!!!!!

Yep, he's a genuine hall of famer

#5946031 - 07/08/17 04:25 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
cmcf Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming
If the nine gauge wire won't fit in the plastic support collar you can reduce the diameter of the wire for about 3/4" on the end on a bench grinder in a few seconds each doesn't take much.
The plastic collar will stretch also. You want it to hold the cable TIGHT.

#5946073 - 07/08/17 05:57 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
~ADC~ Offline
The Count

Loc: Iowa
I use #9 wire pigtailed and welded onto my stake or kill pole to support my snares and I buy the real metal wammies designed to fit it tightly.

ADC's Skinning Machines & ADC's Baits <-- click here

#5947390 - 07/10/17 11:26 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
If I can't get the number nine wire in the plastic support collar I take my lighter out and heat the plastic up then insert the wire. Still prefer number 11 because it's easier to work with. My favorite support is made from political sign stands. The last election I got bunch. Take those stands and cut twice were you have to lower case h's. Then take 18 inch piece number 11 wire and wrap around the single leg and weld on the top and bottom.

#5947422 - 07/10/17 11:57 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Good stuff! Anxious to get my wire in and re-set our snares. Rained most of the weekend and some of our snares were already hanging over water due to the previous rains.

#5947565 - 07/10/17 02:41 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

I cut all of my 18 - 22" long support wires ahead of time. I bend the last inch back to make it look like an upside down 7. I'll put one fencing staple on that bent-inch, and that will keep it from spinning. I add another 2 staples to the main wire, and then I will bend the rest of the support to the height that I need it. I'll leave about an inch straight and then bend a U behind that tip to hold up the rest of my snare.

If you wrap an inch of electrical tape around your wire and snare, instead of using a support collar, that thing won't let go until the snare has done it's job. Works well.

Something else that I sometimes do is I'll use poultry staples to staple my snare to a rub tree. I'll put the staples an inch or two behind my lock. This is something that I've done when I was in a bind for some reason. It holds the snare tight alright, but it makes moving the snare a PITA.

Good Luck

#5947634 - 07/10/17 04:47 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Sounds like using the staples would save on wire as well. I would have planned to wrap around the tree... using significantly more wire. I like the idea of having the wire pre-cut and ready to go. I know I have some large fencing staples in my shop. Not so sure about the smaller poultry staples.

#5947805 - 07/10/17 08:19 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Jonesie Offline
trapper

Loc: Monroeville NJ
Newt and I both use 14 ga. for the supports with the inverted s to hold the cable.
Rednecks Pride Outdoors pod cast

#5947821 - 07/10/17 08:31 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Jason Turner Offline
trapper

Loc: Arkansas
Jonesie, what is a good strategy for supporting w/ 14 if you're in a more open area, say a high grass pasture, where you have fewer or no options for wrapping the wire to get the solid support?

#5947844 - 07/10/17 08:51 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Absolutely will save wire and a lot of it. 4" diameter tree or 24" diameter, it doesn't matter. If I want to hang a snare off of it, I use the same length wire. If you want to wrap a 12" tree, it's going to take a whole lot of wire.

Where I snare hogs, it's ok if I put fencing staples in the trees. I understand that not every place allows that, so if I were dealing with that, I'd switch over to 3/8" rebar with wire on it. When you find trees that are repeatedly used as rub trees, you'll know it. The bark and even the trunk can be worn down. Sometimes it's been rubbed so much for so long that they'll actually kill the tree. These are places that the permanent supports shine, because you'll take hogs there on multiple occcasions. Once you have supports installed, all you'll need to bring is a new snare each time.

#5947849 - 07/10/17 08:53 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

If using 14 gauge wire like newt and Jonesie do then wrapping it would work fine. That size is easy to manipulate even by hand to get it the way you want it and there's a lot on a roll. 11 gauge and 9 gauge especially it's a pain to try to tighten it up without tools if you can even get it tight enough by hand

#5947968 - 07/10/17 10:55 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ~ADC~]
~ADC~ Offline
The Count

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: ~ADC~
I use #9 wire pigtailed and welded onto my stake or kill pole to support my snares and I buy the real metal wammies designed to fit it tightly.

smile You all are going to way too much trouble if you're supporting snares out in the open any other way than this. Not all of us have trees every where... then again when there is a tree there I still use my stake to anchor and support my snares.

ADC's Skinning Machines & ADC's Baits <-- click here

#5948055 - 07/11/17 06:48 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Here are a couple of pics from our trip out yesterday... still waiting on the wire to set snares correctly.

Fresh rooting in the soybeans - Large pig track.

#5948111 - 07/11/17 07:55 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: Jason Turner]
Jonesie Offline
trapper

Loc: Monroeville NJ
Originally Posted By: Jason Turner
Jonesie, what is a good strategy for supporting w/ 14 if you're in a more open area, say a high grass pasture, where you have fewer or no options for wrapping the wire to get the solid support?
I cut a stick about the size of my finger and the height I need, stick it in the ground and wrap the 14ga wire around it. fast easy and simple. If I can't find a stick which is very seldom I cut twice the length of that I will need for the height bend it in half twist it together leave a tail. shove the twist end in ground put tail in ground a inch or 2 away and put my s on the cable end also fast easy and won't spin with the tail in the ground. to each their own I guess, many right ways to do it.
Rednecks Pride Outdoors pod cast

#5948334 - 07/11/17 01:42 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Ronaround Offline
trapper

Loc: N.E.Ohio
good luck and send us up some pics of your catch!

#5954592 - 07/19/17 12:54 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

It's been way busy around here with little time to change anything about our snare sets. I have been brainstorming how to make some snare support stakes using the 9 gauge wire (sorry if the terminology is incorrect). I will try to get a couple made this PM and get a pic posted. I don't have a welder or know anyone with one, so rebar stakes are out for me. Would there be any reason using a wooden stake made out of hardwood (thinking oak) lumber wouldn't work? I'm thinking 1"x2" stake about 24" long. Thinking of rubbing dirt from the snare site onto the stake to both visually hide it and possibly help cover any foreign smell... I have a lot more time sitting at a desk than I have in my shop or in the woods... so goes life.
We looked over a new area last night that is a slough/drainage that just has pools of water here and there. The sides are very sandy soil and had fresh and frequent tracks about the size of a baseball going up and down multiple trails. The drainage is within 50 yards of mature corn field. Corn field had a random trail into it with numerous stalks laid over and corn ears eaten. Looks like a pig paradise...

#5954604 - 07/19/17 01:18 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: ozarkhunter
It's been way busy around here with little time to change anything about our snare sets. I have been brainstorming how to make some snare support stakes using the 9 gauge wire (sorry if the terminology is incorrect). I will try to get a couple made this PM and get a pic posted. I don't have a welder or know anyone with one, so rebar stakes are out for me. Would there be any reason using a wooden stake made out of hardwood (thinking oak) lumber wouldn't work? I'm thinking 1"x2" stake about 24" long. Thinking of rubbing dirt from the snare site onto the stake to both visually hide it and possibly help cover any foreign smell... I have a lot more time sitting at a desk than I have in my shop or in the woods... so goes life.
We looked over a new area last night that is a slough/drainage that just has pools of water here and there. The sides are very sandy soil and had fresh and frequent tracks about the size of a baseball going up and down multiple trails. The drainage is within 50 yards of mature corn field. Corn field had a random trail into it with numerous stalks laid over and corn ears eaten. Looks like a pig paradise...

You don't have to have a welder to make rebar supports. I made some yesterday. It's going to be hard for me to describe the process, so just bear with me. Cut your rebar about 30" long. Cut your wire 30-36". Bend back 8-10" of wire, and wrap it around the rebar several times and then twist it as tightly as you can using pliers. Using the remaining wire of the tag end and your main wire, do it again. Having it wrapped in two places makes it more solid. Your support wire has to be solid.

If you want to really hammer your rebar into the ground, you're going to need to buy whatever size nut barely fits onto whatever size rebar you choose and anneal them to make them soft. Put them on the end of your rebar and pound them with a sledge. If you drive your rebar into the ground, now you have something to grip with plier to wiggle loose when you need to pull them. You can make your supports without this, but you should just push them into the ground to make pulling them easier.

Wooden stakes work well for supports. I drill two holes, pass the wire through both and then wrap it around and twist it tight. Just try it, you'll find something that works for you, just make sure that it's solid. I use a little spray paint on the stakes to break up the outline. I don't worry about the scent a whole lot. Just don't go overboard with the paint.

#5954910 - 07/19/17 08:15 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Gittr Dunn Offline
trapper

Loc: Oak Grove, LA.
If you can't weld and need supports there are 2 ways I use: 1. use 15" #11 wire and clamp with a small hose clamp towards the top of the rebar stake. Next is take the rebar and beat a flat side on it and drill 2 holes 1" apart top to bottom. You then bend your support wire in a 1" 1/2 loop with the tag end being about 2" long. Run the long part of the wire through the top hole til you can line up the lower part in the second hole, push the lower part through and bend to the side. Make sure when you drill the holes you use a bit that is barely larger than the support wire you are using!

#5955952 - 07/21/17 08:14 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Here are a few pics of my first "proper" snare support setup. I drilled 2 holes in the blackjack oak 1"x 2" and sharpened the end using a bandsaw and sander to make it tapered, but smooth for more easy insertion. I inserted the 9 gauge wire through the top hole, bent into a "U" shape and pulled the "tail" wire back through the lower hole. I then bent the excess downward against the stake. I got at least 6" of soil penetration just by pushing my weight on the support into the soft soil. There were fresh tracks leading from the slough through the soft ground and through a willow thicket. I "brushed in" the only alternate route through this part of the thicket. I was pleased with the way the snare hung in the trail. If you see anything wrong with the set, please feel free to comment. I want to learn how to do this right. THANKS!

Edited by ozarkhunter (07/21/17 08:16 AM)

#5955990 - 07/21/17 09:08 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

I "brushed in" the only alternate route through this part of the thicket. I was pleased with the way the snare hung in the trail. If you see anything wrong with the set, please feel free to comment. I want to learn how to do this right. THANKS!

Don't brush in alternate routes---put a snare (or 3) on the alternate routes. There could be 15 or more hogs coming through. Gang set, gang set, gang set.

#5956010 - 07/21/17 09:41 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: Aix sponsa]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Aix sponsa
I "brushed in" the only alternate route through this part of the thicket. I was pleased with the way the snare hung in the trail. If you see anything wrong with the set, please feel free to comment. I want to learn how to do this right. THANKS!

Don't brush in alternate routes---put a snare (or 3) on the alternate routes. There could be 15 or more hogs coming through. Gang set, gang set, gang set.

Check!

I have a feeling that Saturday I will be in the shop making up more supports. Any input on how this one looks. To date, this is the most "squared" set on a trail that I have set. The loop is round as opposed to more of a teardrop or oval. The bottom is 6"-7" off the ground. The loop is at least 14" across. There is nothing "in front of" the lock... I would be embarrassed to post pictures of some of the snares we have hung... In our first week we caught 1 hog and since have caught 2 coyotes. We have had 1 snare leave with a monster hog due to poor anchoring. Tracks and rubs verify that there are quite a few more hogs in the area. If we caught a hog every time we have had a snare knocked down... we couldn't afford to have them all processed.

#5956078 - 07/21/17 11:22 AM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Just be sure those supports are solid. If something hits that snare and the support falls over, there will be problems. Soil can be rock hard when it's dry, so hammer em in if you're not able to push them in enough. Whatever you do, just make sure it's solid. Solid support can't be over emphasized....

If you see where they're rubbing on trees (mud or hair) then try stapling support wires directly to the tree. I like those the most because I know where they're going to be, and I have a convenient anchor point right above it.

#5956550 - 07/21/17 10:32 PM Re: Positioning snares on game trail - how to? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Furvor Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Wooden stakes work well for supports. I drill two holes, pass the wire through both and then wrap it around and twist it tight.

I have made rebar supports/stakes the same way. With a drill press rebar is not that hard to drill.

Your snare picture shows the end of cable inside the loop. A more common practice is to run the cable end through lock or BAD in the opposite direction, then put a downward bend to shape the loop, leaving cable end outside the loop.

Western Arkansas. I'm originally from Eastern Arkansas.

Edited by Furvor (07/21/17 10:39 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie