Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5947237 - 07/10/17 08:39 AM jumps with base?
MEISTERMAN Offline
trapper

Loc: Wi 15 old
hi i was looking at getting some jump traps for coyotes and i was wondering if the base plate would do anything thanks.

#5947341 - 07/10/17 10:52 AM Re: jumps with base? [Re: MEISTERMAN]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
I'm not sure you can base plate a jump trap..........

#5947839 - 07/10/17 08:45 PM Re: jumps with base? [Re: wissmiss]
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper

Loc: Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: wissmiss
I'm not sure you can base plate a jump trap..........

Well... You CAN. But it's counterproductive to do so.

Mike

#5949642 - 07/13/17 11:59 AM Re: jumps with base? [Re: MEISTERMAN]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
Jump traps are not coyote traps no matter the size. Yes I know trappers have caught coyotes I jump traps. Asa Lenon i remember saying he used them for coyote back oi the day. But if you want to be successful i would buy modern traps for coyotes. Just my two cents.

#5955380 - 07/20/17 02:59 PM Re: jumps with base? [Re: MEISTERMAN]
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Burton, Michigan
2 TRAPS, you are right on with the traps.

#5955452 - 07/20/17 05:16 PM Re: jumps with base? [Re: MEISTERMAN]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Michigan
x3, coyotes don't play games. Best advise, get the best coils or double longs you can afford.

Edited by trappergbus (07/20/17 05:17 PM)

#5955459 - 07/20/17 05:25 PM Re: jumps with base? [Re: MEISTERMAN]
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper

Loc: Amite county Mississippi
You can base plat them but the heat from welding can ruin the spring. Aslo I gotta agree with everyone else. Jumps ain't no your traps and there not much you can do to make them. And this is coming from a guy who mods anything to do everything.if your low on cash off set duke #3's are alright out the box
make and sell snares 1x19 5/64th Micro lock
Go Ordnance!!!!

#5957083 - 07/22/17 05:06 PM Re: jumps with base? [Re: MEISTERMAN]
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper

Loc: Garden,Michigan
I would be willing to bet Asa still uses some of those same jumps for coyotes yet today.I still remember guys swearing by them in the late '70's and early'80's for predator trapping.These traps have been around since the turn of the century,they wouldn't have been around that long if they were as bad as some guys would leave you to believe.

#5957845 - 07/23/17 05:22 PM Re: jumps with base? [Re: MEISTERMAN]
316 Offline
trapper

Loc: Mo, Ozarks
Jump traps have been around a long time, longer than some of you have been alive. If the spring is still strong they will catch and hold coyotes and beaver and mink and muskrats and any other furbearer I missed. They will do it without baseplates and laminations and any other thing Bubba can think up and the springs may be 50 or more years old. The #14 is probably the best beaver foothold trap ever made. So if you have Jumps with good springs set them and sharpen your knife.

#5957960 - 07/23/17 07:57 PM Re: jumps with base? [Re: MEISTERMAN]
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper

Loc: Garden,Michigan
Amen^^^^^

#5959844 - 07/25/17 10:53 PM Re: jumps with base? [Re: MEISTERMAN]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
Wonder whyn there no longer made? Had to be bc they were great traps just to expensive to make.

Ever hear of any successful coyote trapper running nothing but jump traps. I haven't. Jump traps used to be cheap, compact, and light weight and trappers Did like them. But the coil spring was far superior to the jump. Not saying jumps want work bc they do work. I agree the v14 was and still is a good beaver trap were legal.

But For a new trapper starting out jump traps would be the last trap i would recommend for coyotes. I have seen coyotes turn strong number four jump traps into scrap metal. Again jump traps are not coyote traps. I have alot jump traps but they are hanging on tihe wall for display. Haven't been used in ten years or longer.

#5959923 - 07/26/17 06:42 AM Re: jumps with base? [Re: MEISTERMAN]
316 Offline
trapper

Loc: Mo, Ozarks
Tell that to the Oklahoma Coyote trappers who use jumps because of there stupid trapping laws. I didn't say they were the best coyote trap but they have and will catch and hold coyotes. If I could I would use all Jakes others chose long springs or MB 550 or 650 or the Montana #3. There are a lot of different traps that work, a jump trap is just another choice. Just because a trap is old and no longer made doesn't mean it wont work. You chose to hang yours on the wall fine. I am not telling anyone to go out and buy jumps for coyotes or anything else. Just saying they have worked for a long time sense 1859 if what I read is correct. So my 50 year comment shorted them by over 100 years. It seems now days if you buy coil springs and don't baseplate and laminate add heaver chain and more swivels you are doing it wrong.
Unless you are trapping the coyotes that the market wants or for the live market it's hard to justify spending good money on any coyote traps.

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie