No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5951093 - 07/15/17 10:58 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
JakeDog Offline
trapper

Loc: Morehead city NC
My Dad got shot up in the Korean and the Vietnam wars. My views is this, that was him and I am me. I didn't fight them, and I think we should as the "newer" generations remember the wars and learn from them respect the guys who fought and died but not our right to hold a grudge.

Duke gives back directly to our trapping associations and helps?? I'll order some more of them now.

J

Edited by JakeDog (07/15/17 10:59 AM)

Confidence is going fly fishing for Moby Dick, in a row boat, and bringing tartar sauce with you.

#5951110 - 07/15/17 11:16 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
The Dukes own a pecan company, a fur company and no telling what else, no clue how many locals they employee. Most you see with them at convention's if you talk to them have been with the Dukes for over 30 years! Must not be too bad of folks if they can keep employee's that long.

As for donation's, id be here all day if i just added up how many dozen traps they have donated just to stuff I use to request traps for as well as who know's how many bear traps they have donated to FBU through the years for events.

Id called asking for donation's for so many years that when id call all the Dukes would say is what is your shipping address again before i could even tell them what i was doing or what is was for, hahaha.

Kid workshops came along and they donated 7 dozen traps a year as they didn't want any kid attending one to walk away without a trap in his/her hand!

Buy what you want from who you want, just letting ya know what type folks the Dukes are and have been for no telling how many decades through good fur markets and bad alike.

#5951118 - 07/15/17 11:22 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: addictedangler]
Computer Hater Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: addictedangler
I just glad that duke traps make a usable product at a decent price. Almost nothing is made entirely in America. In order for America to survive we need to trade and do business with other countries. As mentioned Bill and company have been friendly and generous! I am sure there traps have helped young people just getting started as much as any currently in business.

Good post!! I agree with you for once.

#5951311 - 07/15/17 04:31 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
316 Offline
trapper

Loc: Mo, Ozarks
Be American Buy American died along with those that fought in VN. Few products are made here anymore and the jobs left with the products. Do you really think duke is donating out of the goodness of there heart? Everything they donate is a tax wright off and they are not loosing a dime. It's cheep advertising as shown by the posts on this thread.
Your generation has been fighting for a long time now in wars that prove we learned nothing from VN. To those that are or have served thank you, in a few years your service will only be remembered by those that served with you.
I do not care where or how you spend your money. Buy all the duke traps you want I own 2 myself it should have been only 1 but I am a slow learner.

#5951596 - 07/16/17 01:45 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Drifter Offline

Loc: Oakland, MS
Guess I am a slow learner as well since I signed up the first time in March of 1970 and got out the 2nd time in February of 78. I run a variety of traps in my collection. They all have a purpose they serve me best in. Some of my Northwoods were made in Taiwan. I have Bridgers, Jake traps, and Montgomery.

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .

#5951657 - 07/16/17 07:15 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Those weren't North Koreans at the Chosin Reservoir, they were Chinese. So unless you plan on quitting the trapping business and quit shipping furs to China, you might want to rethink this philosophy. Otherwise, every skin you sell reeks of hypocrisy.

#5951660 - 07/16/17 07:34 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
luvcanids Offline
trapper

Loc: SE PA ,VT,
Buck is right as to the Chinese in Korea. The N. Koreans were defeated by Nov/Dec of 1950. The Chinese came into the conflict in Dec of 1950.
Hard not to remember the personal engagements of those times when one deals with an oriental, but time moves on and many of our Washington people never had boots on the ground.

#5951674 - 07/16/17 07:56 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
danny clifton Online   content
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
Wonder how many people making those traps fought on the side of the French or the U.S. or whose family did? The thing we should have learned in Korea and Vietnam (and didn't) was stay out of civil wars in other countries. Don't send our troops unless the goal is annihilation of the country they are sent to. The way we fought WWII.

I've met Bill Duke and have a bunch of his traps. IMO you can't beat their 1 1/2 coil spring as a coon trap. Have whacked out a few pine martin with their 120's also. I like the looks of their 2 coilspring but haven't used them. Their #3 works great on coyotes and cats after doing the same stuff I do to victor #3's at a cheaper initial cost.

First time in a while I've agreed with addictedangler on an opinion post.

#5951714 - 07/16/17 08:59 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Furback Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa.
I'm really interested in the new "Duke" Pungi Pit Trap and there Dog Proof (DP) Booby Trap. Should be very good for trespasser's.

#5951752 - 07/16/17 10:13 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Catch22 Offline
trapper

Loc: OH
Maybe Duke will start a division over in Iraq or Afghanistan, called the Taliban trap Co. Hey, if ya know a solider over there you could have them pick you up some and save on shipping.....

#5951761 - 07/16/17 10:36 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
duke has been great to us every year for our convention kids games an our winter work shop for kids

#5952353 - 07/17/17 04:25 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Minker]
Dfabs Offline
trapper

Loc: Morgantown, WV
Originally Posted By: Minker
316 ,
Your Ford, Gm, Chrysler, vehicle you are driving is outsourced more with out of the UsA made parts than my Toyota pickup .

Duke traps are extremely generous to the trapping community, last I knew they were still made in Korea but business changes almost daily anymore.

You got that right. Toyota moved assembly plants to the US, and all the "American" companies moved their assembly plants to Canada and Mexico. Toyota has a plant here in WV. That's why my last vehicle was a Toyota and my next one will be also.

#5952354 - 07/17/17 04:27 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: danny clifton]
Dfabs Offline
trapper

Loc: Morgantown, WV
Originally Posted By: danny clifton

I've met Bill Duke and have a bunch of his traps. IMO you can't beat their 1 1/2 coil spring as a coon trap. Have whacked out a few pine martin with their 120's also. I like the looks of their 2 coilspring but haven't used them. Their #3 works great on coyotes and cats after doing the same stuff I do to victor #3's at a cheaper initial cost.

X2 for the 1.5s

#5952447 - 07/17/17 08:12 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Macthediver Offline
trapper

Loc: La Crosse, WI
Wasn't there some Russians involved in that Vietnam mess too???? Everyone is ok with them..

Mac

#5952482 - 07/17/17 09:12 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: 316]
SH1595 Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: 316
Be American Buy American died along with those that fought in VN. Few products are made here anymore and the jobs left with the products. Do you really think duke is donating out of the goodness of there heart? Everything they donate is a tax wright off and they are not loosing a dime.[/b][/b] It's cheep advertising as shown by the posts on this thread.
Your generation has been fighting for a long time now in wars that prove we learned nothing from VN. To those that are or have served thank you, in a few years your service will only be remembered by those that served with you.
I do not care where or how you spend your money. Buy all the duke traps you want I own 2 myself it should have been only 1 but I am a slow learner.

316, please explain your comment "Everything they donate is a tax write(sp)off and they are not losing (sp) a dime" -- having a hard time with the math. For your comment to be accurate, a Company would have to be in the 100% tax bracket -- don't know too many business that can survive in 100% tax bracket.

For example, if a company donates a item worth $1 to charity and they are in the 35% tax bracket, they get a tax benefit of $.35 (not $1.00 which would be the 100% bracket). If it really does not cost a business a dime, then a business should give everything they make to charity. Please explain the economic concept.

#5952505 - 07/17/17 09:55 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper

Loc: Oakland, MS
The Dukes are wonderful people. Knew them from the conventions before we moved down here. Been to their store here a couple times since I moved and TA is always trying to send me home with free candy or syrup or hats or whatever. I don't think ANY company donates more to the trapping community than they do! Especially the kids.

#5952512 - 07/17/17 10:05 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Only thing I can see , is that Vietnam is the new China; in terms of low wages. Wages are increasing in China, so Companies are moving to the next lowest wage Country to manufacture their products. In checking the average manufacturing wage in Vietnam, it works out to around $6.51 U.S. Dollars per hour for labor cost. One can only hope that the steel they use in Duke traps now made in Vietnam will be of higher quality, than what was made in Korea. Also hope that whatever factory in Vietnam that they are using , will see to it that the rough edges and burrs are smoothed off the traps before shipping them out.

Does anyone know where the new factory is located in Vietnam? Be interesting to do a Google Map search on it.

#5952529 - 07/17/17 10:21 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
Looking back it started with Japan then Taiwan then Korea then China and now Viet Nam we build other Countries and not our own but that's what the consumer wants is cheap goods.

Went looking for a new air impact for the garage have yet to find one made in the US anymore. Did get some cheap 50cal ammo boxes at PSA the other day $90.00 a dozen made in the USA with free shipping I was shocked!

Jerry Herbst

#5952535 - 07/17/17 10:30 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Law Dog]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Looking back it started with Japan then Taiwan then Korea then China and now Viet Nam we build other Countries and not our own but that's what the consumer wants is cheap goods.

You can go back even further....used to be Germany, then USA, then Japan....as countries modernize and progress they export those types of jobs. Some of the wealthiest countries of very very little manufacturing but they do a tremendous amount of trade.

The US still has a tremendous amount of manufacturing but just not as large of a share as it used to. We have a pretty good gig. Tons of resources, manufacturing and trading.

#5952553 - 07/17/17 10:53 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
Go to the store and try to find "Made in the USA" on anything the best chance is on plastic items it seems! We can't get the Country of origin program passed showing the info of it's components and where it was built.

Heck they won't let us label our beef so other countries can compete with us for that market. Seems we are stacking the deck against us more then not.

Jerry Herbst

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >