No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5950197 - 07/14/17 08:11 AM Dukes now made in Vietnam ?
kyron4 Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Pick up a few Duke 110's at the local farm store and noticed on the dog it read, "made in Vietnam" and not korea like all my other dukes. Did they move operation to 'nam ?

#5950202 - 07/14/17 08:20 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Apparently so, if that's what the trap says. The Korean Peninsula is the last place I'd feel comfortable having a factory right now. We might wake up one morning to news of the US hitting NK with hundreds of jets and cruise missles, and North Korea responding with shelling the South with thousands of artillery pieces....

#5950299 - 07/14/17 10:23 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
Same quality?

#5950304 - 07/14/17 10:29 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
The commies work cheap,I wonder if the savings will get passed along to the consumer.

#5950638 - 07/14/17 06:39 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Drifter Offline

Loc: Oakland, MS
The Duke company has given much more back to the trapping community then any other that I am aware of. They also listen to the trappers on changes needed.

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .

#5950776 - 07/14/17 09:23 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
316 Offline
trapper

Loc: Mo, Ozarks
58,200 died in the Viet Nam war. Nice to see haul remember.

#5950817 - 07/14/17 10:10 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Drifter]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Drifter
The Duke company has given much more back to the trapping community then any other that I am aware of. They also listen to the trappers on changes needed.

What do they do. What have they done.

#5950821 - 07/14/17 10:19 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: 2 TRAPS]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted By: 2 TRAPS
Originally Posted By: Drifter

What do they do. What have they done.

At all Trapperman.com events where they're present, they always contribute beverages to the event. They've been very helpful. They also donate many dozens of traps to organizations to support them in their events.

#5950847 - 07/14/17 10:42 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
MinkGuy Offline
trapper

Loc: Punxsutawney, Pa.
My findings have shown that Bill Duke has helped many. Call it good business or call it charity I will say as someone who contacted many companies on behalf of the State Trapper's Banquet this past year nobody received and responded quicker than Duke Traps. I appreciated them making my job easier.

#5950854 - 07/14/17 10:56 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
mnsota Offline
trapper

Loc: minnesota

Trade with Vietnam has steadily increased over the years. A lot of clothing imports originate from there!
Unfortunately, a business model never seems to meld with a (why) thought process.

#5950956 - 07/15/17 07:05 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
316 Offline
trapper

Enjoy your free traps and beverages. Maybe you could toast those that died fighting those that now make your cheep traps. You could do it while wearing your all American Harley shirt made in VN. " It's all about the money boys, it's all about the money."

#5950961 - 07/15/17 07:17 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
kyron4 Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Not trying to stir the pot, but they were made in Korea, Americans died there too. A lot of high end products are made in Germany, Italy and Japan, Americans died thee too.

Edited by kyron4 (07/15/17 07:20 AM)

#5950963 - 07/15/17 07:19 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Which Vietnamese am I supposed to hate? Those 58,000 died fighting for half the country, so someone needs to point out to me which ones I'm supposed to be ok with and which ones I'm not.

#5951022 - 07/15/17 08:45 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
addictedangler Offline
trapper

Loc: cumberland co, Pa
I just glad that duke traps make a usable product at a decent price. Almost nothing is made entirely in America. In order for America to survive we need to trade and do business with other countries. As mentioned Bill and company have been friendly and generous! I am sure there traps have helped young people just getting started as much as any currently in business.

#5951046 - 07/15/17 09:17 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
When I was a kid all the cheap stuff (junk if you will) was "made in Japan"; I remember hearing a dozen (zillion) times how the Japanese attacked us and how hard it was to fight them and what loss we had, why we should never buy any Japanese made product. We seem to have got over that.
Vietnam is no different in that respect than Germany, Japan, Italy, or China; the dead died in good faith that they were doing it for the good of the country, but the country moved on as faithless to the dead as all countries have been through out history.

#5951059 - 07/15/17 09:40 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: 316]
Pasadena Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio, 48yrs old
Originally Posted By: 316
Enjoy your free traps and beverages. Maybe you could toast those that died fighting those that now make your cheep traps. You could do it while wearing your all American Harley shirt made in VN. " It's all about the money boys, it's all about the money."

These statements.....I somewhat understand what you're trying to convey with it but...........I can almost guarantee what ever device you used to view and post on this thread was made in a country where American Soldiers have died. Embrace the fact that it is an American owned trap company with an owner who is generous to the trapping community.

#5951065 - 07/15/17 09:45 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Steel setter Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Virginia
Pasadena pretty much summed that one up. Good post!

#5951069 - 07/15/17 09:57 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Minker Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
316 ,
Your Ford, Gm, Chrysler, vehicle you are driving is outsourced more with out of the UsA made parts than my Toyota pickup .

Duke traps are extremely generous to the trapping community, last I knew they were still made in Korea but business changes almost daily anymore.

#5951073 - 07/15/17 10:05 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Boco Offline
trapper

The difference is those other countries lost the wars,Vietnamese communists won.
I think its a psychological thing.

Edited by Boco (07/15/17 10:06 AM)

#5951081 - 07/15/17 10:22 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
Matter of perspective on who won, Boco. Those other countries all got rebuilt at our expense and had a better place after the war than before and.....

#5951093 - 07/15/17 10:58 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
JakeDog Offline
trapper

Loc: Morehead city NC
My Dad got shot up in the Korean and the Vietnam wars. My views is this, that was him and I am me. I didn't fight them, and I think we should as the "newer" generations remember the wars and learn from them respect the guys who fought and died but not our right to hold a grudge.

Duke gives back directly to our trapping associations and helps?? I'll order some more of them now.

J

Edited by JakeDog (07/15/17 10:59 AM)

Confidence is going fly fishing for Moby Dick, in a row boat, and bringing tartar sauce with you.

#5951110 - 07/15/17 11:16 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
The Dukes own a pecan company, a fur company and no telling what else, no clue how many locals they employee. Most you see with them at convention's if you talk to them have been with the Dukes for over 30 years! Must not be too bad of folks if they can keep employee's that long.

As for donation's, id be here all day if i just added up how many dozen traps they have donated just to stuff I use to request traps for as well as who know's how many bear traps they have donated to FBU through the years for events.

Id called asking for donation's for so many years that when id call all the Dukes would say is what is your shipping address again before i could even tell them what i was doing or what is was for, hahaha.

Kid workshops came along and they donated 7 dozen traps a year as they didn't want any kid attending one to walk away without a trap in his/her hand!

Buy what you want from who you want, just letting ya know what type folks the Dukes are and have been for no telling how many decades through good fur markets and bad alike.

#5951118 - 07/15/17 11:22 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: addictedangler]
Computer Hater Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: addictedangler
I just glad that duke traps make a usable product at a decent price. Almost nothing is made entirely in America. In order for America to survive we need to trade and do business with other countries. As mentioned Bill and company have been friendly and generous! I am sure there traps have helped young people just getting started as much as any currently in business.

Good post!! I agree with you for once.

#5951311 - 07/15/17 04:31 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
316 Offline
trapper

Be American Buy American died along with those that fought in VN. Few products are made here anymore and the jobs left with the products. Do you really think duke is donating out of the goodness of there heart? Everything they donate is a tax wright off and they are not loosing a dime. It's cheep advertising as shown by the posts on this thread.
Your generation has been fighting for a long time now in wars that prove we learned nothing from VN. To those that are or have served thank you, in a few years your service will only be remembered by those that served with you.
I do not care where or how you spend your money. Buy all the duke traps you want I own 2 myself it should have been only 1 but I am a slow learner.

#5951596 - 07/16/17 01:45 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Drifter Offline

Guess I am a slow learner as well since I signed up the first time in March of 1970 and got out the 2nd time in February of 78. I run a variety of traps in my collection. They all have a purpose they serve me best in. Some of my Northwoods were made in Taiwan. I have Bridgers, Jake traps, and Montgomery.

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .

#5951657 - 07/16/17 07:15 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
BuckNE Offline
"Dirk Studmuffin"

Loc: Nebraska
Those weren't North Koreans at the Chosin Reservoir, they were Chinese. So unless you plan on quitting the trapping business and quit shipping furs to China, you might want to rethink this philosophy. Otherwise, every skin you sell reeks of hypocrisy.

#5951660 - 07/16/17 07:34 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
luvcanids Online   content
trapper

Loc: SE PA ,VT,
Buck is right as to the Chinese in Korea. The N. Koreans were defeated by Nov/Dec of 1950. The Chinese came into the conflict in Dec of 1950.
Hard not to remember the personal engagements of those times when one deals with an oriental, but time moves on and many of our Washington people never had boots on the ground.

#5951674 - 07/16/17 07:56 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
Wonder how many people making those traps fought on the side of the French or the U.S. or whose family did? The thing we should have learned in Korea and Vietnam (and didn't) was stay out of civil wars in other countries. Don't send our troops unless the goal is annihilation of the country they are sent to. The way we fought WWII.

I've met Bill Duke and have a bunch of his traps. IMO you can't beat their 1 1/2 coil spring as a coon trap. Have whacked out a few pine martin with their 120's also. I like the looks of their 2 coilspring but haven't used them. Their #3 works great on coyotes and cats after doing the same stuff I do to victor #3's at a cheaper initial cost.

First time in a while I've agreed with addictedangler on an opinion post.

#5951714 - 07/16/17 08:59 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Furback Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa.
I'm really interested in the new "Duke" Pungi Pit Trap and there Dog Proof (DP) Booby Trap. Should be very good for trespasser's.

#5951752 - 07/16/17 10:13 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Catch22 Online   content
trapper

Loc: OH
Maybe Duke will start a division over in Iraq or Afghanistan, called the Taliban trap Co. Hey, if ya know a solider over there you could have them pick you up some and save on shipping.....

#5951761 - 07/16/17 10:36 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
duke has been great to us every year for our convention kids games an our winter work shop for kids

#5952353 - 07/17/17 04:25 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Minker]
Dfabs Offline
trapper

Loc: Morgantown, WV
Originally Posted By: Minker
316 ,
Your Ford, Gm, Chrysler, vehicle you are driving is outsourced more with out of the UsA made parts than my Toyota pickup .

Duke traps are extremely generous to the trapping community, last I knew they were still made in Korea but business changes almost daily anymore.

You got that right. Toyota moved assembly plants to the US, and all the "American" companies moved their assembly plants to Canada and Mexico. Toyota has a plant here in WV. That's why my last vehicle was a Toyota and my next one will be also.

#5952354 - 07/17/17 04:27 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: danny clifton]
Dfabs Offline
trapper

Loc: Morgantown, WV
Originally Posted By: danny clifton

I've met Bill Duke and have a bunch of his traps. IMO you can't beat their 1 1/2 coil spring as a coon trap. Have whacked out a few pine martin with their 120's also. I like the looks of their 2 coilspring but haven't used them. Their #3 works great on coyotes and cats after doing the same stuff I do to victor #3's at a cheaper initial cost.

X2 for the 1.5s

#5952447 - 07/17/17 08:12 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Macthediver Offline
trapper

Loc: La Crosse, WI
Wasn't there some Russians involved in that Vietnam mess too???? Everyone is ok with them..

Mac

#5952482 - 07/17/17 09:12 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: 316]
SH1595 Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
Be American Buy American died along with those that fought in VN. Few products are made here anymore and the jobs left with the products. Do you really think duke is donating out of the goodness of there heart? Everything they donate is a tax wright off and they are not loosing a dime.[/b][/b] It's cheep advertising as shown by the posts on this thread.
Your generation has been fighting for a long time now in wars that prove we learned nothing from VN. To those that are or have served thank you, in a few years your service will only be remembered by those that served with you.
I do not care where or how you spend your money. Buy all the duke traps you want I own 2 myself it should have been only 1 but I am a slow learner.

316, please explain your comment "Everything they donate is a tax write(sp)off and they are not losing (sp) a dime" -- having a hard time with the math. For your comment to be accurate, a Company would have to be in the 100% tax bracket -- don't know too many business that can survive in 100% tax bracket.

For example, if a company donates a item worth $1 to charity and they are in the 35% tax bracket, they get a tax benefit of $.35 (not $1.00 which would be the 100% bracket). If it really does not cost a business a dime, then a business should give everything they make to charity. Please explain the economic concept.

#5952505 - 07/17/17 09:55 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper

The Dukes are wonderful people. Knew them from the conventions before we moved down here. Been to their store here a couple times since I moved and TA is always trying to send me home with free candy or syrup or hats or whatever. I don't think ANY company donates more to the trapping community than they do! Especially the kids.

#5952512 - 07/17/17 10:05 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Only thing I can see , is that Vietnam is the new China; in terms of low wages. Wages are increasing in China, so Companies are moving to the next lowest wage Country to manufacture their products. In checking the average manufacturing wage in Vietnam, it works out to around $6.51 U.S. Dollars per hour for labor cost. One can only hope that the steel they use in Duke traps now made in Vietnam will be of higher quality, than what was made in Korea. Also hope that whatever factory in Vietnam that they are using , will see to it that the rough edges and burrs are smoothed off the traps before shipping them out.

Does anyone know where the new factory is located in Vietnam? Be interesting to do a Google Map search on it.

#5952529 - 07/17/17 10:21 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
Looking back it started with Japan then Taiwan then Korea then China and now Viet Nam we build other Countries and not our own but that's what the consumer wants is cheap goods.

Went looking for a new air impact for the garage have yet to find one made in the US anymore. Did get some cheap 50cal ammo boxes at PSA the other day $90.00 a dozen made in the USA with free shipping I was shocked!

Jerry Herbst

#5952535 - 07/17/17 10:30 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Law Dog]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Looking back it started with Japan then Taiwan then Korea then China and now Viet Nam we build other Countries and not our own but that's what the consumer wants is cheap goods.

You can go back even further....used to be Germany, then USA, then Japan....as countries modernize and progress they export those types of jobs. Some of the wealthiest countries of very very little manufacturing but they do a tremendous amount of trade.

The US still has a tremendous amount of manufacturing but just not as large of a share as it used to. We have a pretty good gig. Tons of resources, manufacturing and trading.

#5952553 - 07/17/17 10:53 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Go to the store and try to find "Made in the USA" on anything the best chance is on plastic items it seems! We can't get the Country of origin program passed showing the info of it's components and where it was built.

Heck they won't let us label our beef so other countries can compete with us for that market. Seems we are stacking the deck against us more then not.

Jerry Herbst

#5952556 - 07/17/17 10:56 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Boco Offline
trapper

Look for the maple leaf if you want quality goods.

#5952596 - 07/17/17 11:50 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Tom cat Offline
trapper

Loc: Indianland sc
I had uncles the fought in both Korea ann Vietnam. Imo there are 3 trap brands. Duke., victors, and north woods. That's just my 2 cents...

#5952602 - 07/17/17 11:57 AM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Tom cat Offline
trapper

And duke 1.5s are my go to trap for coon...

#5952607 - 07/17/17 12:06 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Duke 1.5 is most likely the most used trap now days.

#5952608 - 07/17/17 12:08 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Boco]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Boco

Anyone up there make 1.5.

#5952612 - 07/17/17 12:12 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Tom cat Offline
trapper

Do they make traps in Canada?? And I'm genuinely asking.... just curious..

#5952618 - 07/17/17 12:15 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Bogmaster Online   content

Loc: Lakeland,Minnesota
Some of the body grippers are made in Canada.Not sure about footholds.
Tom

#5952622 - 07/17/17 12:21 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Tom cat Offline
trapper

Okay thanks bogmaster!

#5952667 - 07/17/17 01:26 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Boco]
Lugnut Offline
trapper

Loc: SEPA

That's fine if your in need of construction-grade lumber, whiskey or Justin Bieber songs. Anything else, look elsewhere.

#5952668 - 07/17/17 01:28 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Lugnut]
Lugnut Offline
trapper

Loc: SEPA
And peat moss...

#5952672 - 07/17/17 01:35 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Scuba1 Offline
"Euro-Redneck"

Loc: On a Boat
I try not to buy things that are made in the Peoples republic of Californistan grin

#5952677 - 07/17/17 01:44 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

I don't care where folks buy their traps just can't stand that Hanoi Jane is finding work on TV that just makes a guy sick, I thought she would of made a fortune in urinal cake endorsements! whistle

Jerry Herbst

#5952685 - 07/17/17 01:50 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Riverotter2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
If a guy wants to buy Dukes so be it as far as wars go times changes things I reckon. Over 300,000 southern folks were killed by northern folks but I still buy Fords and grits made in Illinois (when I can't find southern grits). And I had kin folks in that war.

#5952768 - 07/17/17 03:36 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Riverotter2]
Catch22 Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: Riverotter2
If a guy wants to buy Dukes so be it as far as wars go times changes things I reckon. Over 300,000 southern folks were killed by northern folks but I still buy Fords and grits made in Illinois (when I can't find southern grits). And I had kin folks in that war.

Have you ask your kinfolk from the Civil War what they think lol...

#5952770 - 07/17/17 03:43 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: 316]
Trapper7 Offline
trapper

Loc: MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes

We can thank Wild Bill Clinton for opening the doors to Vietnam. After the way the north treated our soldiers and broke cease fires, we don't need to be helping their economy. One of my elk hunting buddies was in Nam. He couldn't believe we ever opened up trade with that country. He said, Do you suppose Wild Bill colluded with Hanoi Jane?

#5952781 - 07/17/17 04:01 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Swivel Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Missouri
Nothing wrong with buying american made traps. I love Sleepy creek traps/company.

#5952800 - 07/17/17 04:25 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Trapper7]
Steven 49er Online   content
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
Originally Posted By: Trapper7

We can thank Wild Bill Clinton for opening the doors to Vietnam. After the way the north treated our soldiers and broke cease fires, we don't need to be helping their economy. One of my elk hunting buddies was in Nam. He couldn't believe we ever opened up trade with that country. He said, Do you suppose Wild Bill colluded with Hanoi Jane?

And Nixon opened up trade with China.

The political elite are globalists. All of them.

#5952830 - 07/17/17 04:55 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Fisherman Offline
trapper

Loc: northern New York
This is one veteran that will never knowingly buy any product made in Viet Nam. Besides those that died there where is the accounting for all of the POW's and MIA's?
Perhaps Hanoi Jane or Swift Boat Kerry can be the marketing manager here in the USA.
One more thing; Blake and Lamb were huge contributors to the trapping organizations. Made much better quality traps than any Duke.

#5952871 - 07/17/17 05:25 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Bogmaster Online   content

Loc: Lakeland,Minnesota
Blake and Lamb have been gone for a long time,Though that name is in use on a few of todays traps.
Japan did not treat our soldiers well prisoners were mistreated,beaten and some were killed.
My father was captured by the Germans-he was beaten several times and the only time prisoners had any meat to eat,was after a guard dog was killed.My father never held ill will against Germans,after the war.Though he suffered for the rest of his life,because of his imprisonment.
My thanks to all have served our country.I am sure the Duke country is in no way trying to disrespect those who served in Vietnam.
Tom

#5952921 - 07/17/17 06:15 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Swivel]
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Swivel
Nothing wrong with buying american made traps. I love Sleepy creek traps/company.
I'm with you, and will continue to support S.C.

#5952939 - 07/17/17 06:50 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Boco]
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper

I honestly don't recall ever seeing ANYTHING that said made in Canada on it. Which is pretty odd, and something I'd never thought about before now. Guess y'all don't manufacture much up there besides pelts and maybe hockey sticks?

#5952948 - 07/17/17 06:58 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Canadian Mist
Canadian Club

Canada Dry

etc, lol.

I think part of my 'made in America' Chevy was made in Canada as well!

#5952960 - 07/17/17 07:10 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Loc: Pottawatamie co. IA
Getting ready to order 12 dozen more Duke 1.5 coils. I am going to support an American who owns the company and also Gerald S. who is also American. I will make up the difference in the trade imbalance by shipping a ton of fur to the Russians, Chinese, Koreans, Italians and whoever else wants them. I guess I look at it differently than some Vets. My Grandfather fought in the great war, Uncle fought in Korea and Dad fought in Vietnam. I did my service when Reagan won the cold war. LLL

#5952968 - 07/17/17 07:21 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Fisherman]
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper

Loc: Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Fisherman
This is one veteran that will never knowingly buy any product made in Viet Nam. Besides those that died there where is the accounting for all of the POW's and MIA's?
Perhaps Hanoi Jane or Swift Boat Kerry can be the marketing manager here in the USA.
One more thing; Blake and Lamb were huge contributors to the trapping organizations. Made much better quality traps than any Duke.

This is the sticky point for me also...

Japan, Italy, Germany... We fought against them. Heck we fought the British at one time.

But the POW thing really gives me pause concerning Vietnam.

Mike

#5953027 - 07/17/17 08:59 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Jtrapper]
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Jtrapper
Canadian Mist
Canadian Club

Canada Dry

etc, lol.

I think part of my 'made in America' Chevy was made in Canada as well!

Ha, ok I take it back. I had a 1989 Ford 150 that was made in Canada. The speedometer was even in kilometers, lol.

Canada Dry is based out of Texas, lol. Maybe those are the yankees Savell's working for these days, lol.

Edited by yotetrapper30 (07/17/17 09:00 PM)

#5953073 - 07/17/17 09:34 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Todd Lund Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Good point Boco. Saigon is now Ho Chi Minh City. I am a Viet vet but it's time to move on. We seem to be living in an era of everyone needing to fear or hate something. It comes to nothing. You need to be shot at a few times to fully grasp that. Trust me, you will climb down from that Ivory Tower in a hurry.

Edited by Todd Lund (07/17/17 09:44 PM)

#5953081 - 07/17/17 09:50 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
mike mc murray Offline
trapper

Loc: utah
Until American manufacturer's can find Americans who will work for .50 to a $1.00 a hour most of our products that we buy will come from these Asian country's it's just business...

#5953087 - 07/17/17 09:56 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Todd Lund Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Yup.

#5953092 - 07/17/17 10:04 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: mike mc murray]
Catch22 Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: mike mc murray
Until American manufacturer's can find Americans who will work for .50 to a $1.00 a hour most of our products that we buy will come from these Asian country's it's just business...

Well, we have Sleepy Creek, Victor, BMI and others still made here! It's a choice, quality or quantity.

#5953093 - 07/17/17 10:08 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: luvcanids]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: luvcanids
Buck is right as to the Chinese in Korea. The N. Koreans were defeated by Nov/Dec of 1950. The Chinese came into the conflict in Dec of 1950.
Hard not to remember the personal engagements of those times when one deals with an oriental, but time moves on and many of our Washington people never had boots on the ground.

There were Chinese regulars in VN also.

#5953146 - 07/17/17 11:08 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

And behind the Chinese were the Russians in most cases too.

For the record I don't own any imported traps every trap I run is a Victor, Sleepy Creek or a MJ if others run them that their choice just not my choice~

Jerry Herbst

#5953159 - 07/17/17 11:41 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Catch22]
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Catch22
Originally Posted By: mike mc murray

Well, we have Sleepy Creek, Victor, BMI and others still made here! It's a choice, quality or quantity.

I don't buy traps for quantity, I buy them for quality... but the best trap for MY needs coyote trapping is hands down a #2 Bridger. The only trap comparable to that trap is the new #2 Dukes, which take a lil more work. No American made trap works for what I need it to do, without adding extra work on my end, and paying more to do it.

Before I started trapping live market coyotes I did use an American made trap for coyotes... the Jake Trap... but I tried them for this and they're just too big... now if JC starts making a #2 Jake trap I'd likely switch back.

Same with coon traps... I've tried a whole lot of them. My favorite foot trap for them though, is a Duke 1.5... not because it's cheap, but because it works best. But the cheap part helps too when you're longlining in Iowa and losing 6 traps a day to theft isn't uncommon.

I like buying American or preferably local... and do so often. But anyone who says they only buy American made products while typing it on a computer is a liar and a hypocrite.

#5953605 - 07/18/17 02:13 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Fisherman]
Trapper7 Offline
trapper

Loc: MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes

I know a few veterans who were in Nam and say the same thing.

China didn't kill and torture our soldiers, Steven. BTW, I never liked Nixon. I blame him for losing the war in Vietnam. He told the NVA if they broke the ceasefire, he would resume the bombing in the north. They broke the ceasefire and he succumbed to the media's pressure and did nothing.

#5953629 - 07/18/17 02:56 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
bhugo Offline
trapper

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Some of my family are Vets. It always comes to mind when I buy anything from the countries they fought in.

I always try to buy American when I can. It's frustrating at times because of the price difference, but the quality of most items makes it worthwhile. Not always though. I like Victor and Sleepy Creek just fine. Looking to try the new Montgomery traps victor makes. I like dogless. I love my old Montgomery traps. When I want cheap traps for high theft areas, I use used traps I have picked up along the way.

I don't longline though. I might change my tune if I did.

#5953665 - 07/18/17 03:31 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: Trapper7]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Trapper7

I know a few veterans who were in Nam and say the same thing.

China didn't kill and torture our soldiers, Steven. BTW, I never liked Nixon. I blame him for losing the war in Vietnam. He told the NVA if they broke the ceasefire, he would resume the bombing in the north. They broke the ceasefire and he succumbed to the media's pressure and did nothing.

That's not quite how it happened. As shameful as that would have been, it was even worse.

Here's the truth.

"

Did the United States win or lose the Vietnam War? We are taught that it was a resounding loss for America, one that proves that intervening in the affairs of other nations is usually misguided. The truth is that our military won the war, but our politicians lost it. The Communists in North Vietnam actually signed a peace treaty, effectively surrendering. But the U.S. Congress didn't hold up its end of the bargain. In just five minutes, learn the truth about who really lost the Vietnam War.

Decades back, in late 1972, South Vietnam and the United States were winning the Vietnam War decisively by every conceivable measure. That's not just my view. That was the view of our enemy, the North Vietnamese government officials. Victory was apparent when President Nixon ordered the U.S. Air Force to bomb industrial and military targets in Hanoi, North Viet Nam's capital city, and in Haiphong, its major port city, and we would stop the bombing if the North Vietnamese would attend the Paris Peace Talks that they had left earlier. The North Vietnamese did go back to the Paris Peace talks, and we did stop the bombing as promised.

On January the 23rd, 1973, President Nixon gave a speech to the nation on primetime television announcing that the Paris Peace Accords had been initialed by the United States, South Vietnam, North Vietnam, the Viet Cong, and the Accords would be signed on the 27th. What the United States and South Vietnam received in those accords was victory. At the White House, it was called "VV Day," "Victory in Vietnam Day."

The U.S. backed up that victory with a simple pledge within the Paris Peace Accords saying: should the South require any military hardware to defend itself against any North Vietnam aggression we would provide replacement aid to the South on a piece-by-piece, one-to-one replacement, meaning a bullet for a bullet; a helicopter for a helicopter, for all things lost -- replacement. The advance of communist tyranny had been halted by those accords.

Then it all came apart. And It happened this way: In August of the following year, 1974, President Nixon resigned his office as a result of what became known as "Watergate." Three months after his resignation came the November congressional elections and within them the Democrats won a landslide victory for the new Congress and many of the members used their new majority to de-fund the military aid the U.S. had promised, piece for piece, breaking the commitment that we made to the South Vietnamese in Paris to provide whatever military hardware the South Vietnamese needed in case of aggression from the North. Put simply and accurately, a majority of Democrats of the 94th Congress did not keep the word of the United States.

On April the 10th of 1975, President Gerald Ford appealed directly to those members of the congress in an evening Joint Session, televised to the nation. In that speech he literally begged the Congress to keep the word of the United States. But as President Ford delivered his speech, many of the members of the Congress walked out of the chamber. Many of them had an investment in America's failure in Vietnam. They had participated in demonstrations against the war for many years. They wouldn't give the aid.

On April the 30th South Vietnam surrendered and Re-education Camps were constructed, and the phenomenon of the Boat People began. If the South Vietnamese had received the arms that the United States promised them would the result have been different? It already had been different. The North Vietnamese leaders admitted that they were testing the new President, Gerald Ford, and they took one village after another, then cities, then provinces and our only response was to go back on our word. The U.S. did not re-supply the South Vietnamese as we had promised. It was then that the North Vietnamese knew they were on the road to South Vietnam's capital city, Saigon, that would soon be renamed Ho Chi Minh City.

Former Arkansas Senator William Fulbright, who had been the Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee made a public statement about the surrender of South Vietnam. He said this, "I am no more distressed than I would be about Arkansas losing a football game to Texas." The U.S. knew that North Vietnam would violate the accords and so we planned for it. What we did not know was that our own Congress would violate the accords. And violate them, of all things, on behalf of the North Vietnamese. That's what happened.

https://www.prageru.com/courses/history/truth-about-vietnam-war

Edited by white17 (07/18/17 03:37 PM)

#5953678 - 07/18/17 03:47 PM Re: Dukes now made in Vietnam ? [Re: kyron4]
HobbieTrapper Online   happy
"Chippendale Trapper"

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
If the truth be known a lot of people that can't move on are the same ones screaming Black People need to get over slavery.

-Goofy-

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >