Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5950855 - 07/14/17 10:58 PM Re: Baby powder vs borax [Re: rpmartin]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Why would I not be serious?If you leave the front legs on or do any skins for taxi,you have to initially dry them so there are no folds under the front legs.Only a few hours until you turn them.Then you can hang them.

#5950934 - 07/15/17 06:20 AM Re: Baby powder vs borax [Re: rpmartin]
rpmartin Offline
trapper

Loc: Ellenboro Wisconsin
Yes, that would be a good option. Never give it enough thought before I replied. Thanks

#5957608 - 07/23/17 10:59 AM Re: Baby powder vs borax [Re: rpmartin]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Michigan
Ive sent alot of pelts to Moyle's to tan. All have been boraxed with zero issues when returned. Some have hung for a year before I've sent them. So my question is this, If borax impedes or causes problems with the tanning process what is it?? I don't use it as a crutch but to help speed the drying process.

#5958643 - 07/24/17 07:03 PM Re: Baby powder vs borax [Re: rpmartin]
rpmartin Offline
trapper

I know what you mean trappergbus. It seems to be a he said she said deal with the borax. Like said above I just use it sparingly on coyotes.

Here is another question for anyone that would like to offer their opinion. I rub borax like crazy on bobcat bellies to whiten and brighten after they are dry, anyone doing this knows it makes a huge difference. So what could be used besides borax to do this?
I doubt if baby powder would as good as borax.

#5958687 - 07/24/17 07:53 PM Re: Baby powder vs borax [Re: rpmartin]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Powdered chalk is used in the industry as a whitener and cleaner for white fur.

#5958783 - 07/24/17 09:12 PM Re: Baby powder vs borax [Re: rpmartin]
bctomcat Offline
trapper

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC Can
Borax is a great fur cleaner and brightener IMO as can be seen in the following before and after coyote pelt pictures. Just be sure you shack and brush it out of the pelt so it does not annoy the graders. And, it's my understanding that it has nil effect on the pelt tanning process, at least when brushed and well shaken out of the pelt before processing.

#5958854 - 07/24/17 09:59 PM Re: Baby powder vs borax [Re: rpmartin]
rpmartin Offline
trapper

Boco, that's good to know, do you mean the kind that is used on a chalkboard? Where do you get this chalk?

Bctomcat, I remember seeing those pics I think in the archives. Big difference!

Imo the graders still know if borax was used no matter how well you clean it up. but they don't know if it was used before or after the pelt was dry. Do you think this makes a difference?

#5958867 - 07/24/17 10:13 PM Re: Baby powder vs borax [Re: rpmartin]
bctomcat Offline
trapper

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted By: rpmartin

Imo the graders still know if borax was used no matter how well you clean it up. but they don't know if it was used before or after the pelt was dry. Do you think this makes a difference?
NO

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2