No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5951150 - 07/15/17 12:41 PM Coal Soil?
WadeRyan Online   content
trapper

Loc: Southeast Nebraska
So I know a pretty well hidden trapper down here in the Southeast region of the state, and he's talking about going to South Dakota for "coal soil." I've heard of coal shale before, but I've never heard it called coal soil? He has never used it personally but is talking about driving to South Dakota for 1 ton of it, and I'm planning to get in. He claims it's freeze proof.

I was curious if anyone from South Dakota had used "coal soil," in the past? He makes his own wax dirt usually, and he reports that it's cost him $2 a gallon which is too much in his eyes. So he's going to this instead.

At less than $2 a gallon I think I'll be more than happy as I'm only looking to get around 25 gallons or so for the winter. I'm just surprised if it's as freeze proof as he's been told it is why I haven't heard more about it.

Hope someone with some experience with it and cold temperatures rain, sleet, and snow will chime in. Thanks.

#5951210 - 07/15/17 01:50 PM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: WadeRyan]
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper

Loc: Wheaton Ks
Wade, I've used coal shale or just coal extensivly, and while it is nice to bed in, it is not a totally freeze proof bedding. The beauty of cs is that it gives up its moisture very readily, and works very nicly in low humidity conditions and sunny weather. Think out west. I've hauled lots of it home from Wy, and used it lots back here in Ks,but to make a freeze proof set here, you better top dress with waxed dirt, or your trap will freeze down just like any other bedding around here. Your friend obviously heard about how wonderful it is , but didn't get the name right. I also think he will look a long time finding cs in SD, although I could be wrong about that, but SD ain't coal country!

Now officially an old fart
http://www.lptraplinesupply.com

#5951211 - 07/15/17 01:52 PM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: WadeRyan]
BillyTraps Offline
trapper

Loc: eastern washington

#5951221 - 07/15/17 02:06 PM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: lee steinmeyer]
trapper

Originally Posted By: lee steinmeyer
Wade, I've used coal shale or just coal extensivly, and while it is nice to bed in, it is not a totally freeze proof bedding. The beauty of cs is that it gives up its moisture very readily, and works very nicly in low humidity conditions and sunny weather. Think out west. I've hauled lots of it home from Wy, and used it lots back here in Ks,but to make a freeze proof set here, you better top dress with waxed dirt, or your trap will freeze down just like any other bedding around here. Your friend obviously heard about how wonderful it is , but didn't get the name right. I also think he will look a long time finding cs in SD, although I could be wrong about that, but SD ain't coal country!

Lee that's what I thought too. I even said the words "coal shale," multiple times, and he kept telling me no that's not it. He's apparently got some lined up already. He's not new to the trapping game by any means, but he's never used this before. Most people have never heard of him but from what I hear he gave those guys on the lynx lair a run on his own in the coyote contest a few years back.

#5951794 - 07/16/17 11:42 AM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: WadeRyan]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Iowa
I went to wy a year ago and got 3,000 plus pounds of it, I have no room in my garden shed it's so full, best bedding material

#5951797 - 07/16/17 11:46 AM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: Tactical.20]
trapper

Originally Posted By: Tactical.20
I went to wy a year ago and got 3,000 plus pounds of it, I have no room in my garden shed it's so full, best bedding material

He's planning on picking up 2000 lbs of it. I'm going to start with 25 gallons, but if I like it I know there will be more. Did you have the same issues as Lee with freezing? I've got peat moss down pretty well, but I was hoping this was a little more freeze proof than that. I just can't justify the cost of the waxed dirt.

#5951824 - 07/16/17 12:35 PM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: WadeRyan]
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper

Loc: Wheaton Ks
Don't take much waxed dirt to just top dress a set. I can't justify not using it, I've been the gamiit on all the freeze proofing methods, and most lack in one area or another. The cs gives you a tight trap, and if you top dress to seal out the moisture, it's a win win. Only thing you have to worry about then is a wet year, and infiltration from the bottom.

Now officially an old fart
http://www.lptraplinesupply.com

#5952342 - 07/17/17 12:47 AM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: WadeRyan]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

If the top gets wet it will freeze, then I use my scratching tool to crack crust and flip it off . The bedded trap usually is still dry n ready to go, I do try to have shale packed under and around trap, inch of shale between trap and dirt.
I try to set the highest spot at location, I've had inch or more of rain and only top gets wet, if in good drain off spot

#5952432 - 07/17/17 07:48 AM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: WadeRyan]
ScottPhillips Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado
There is coal shale in South Dakota, I used it alot there.

Scott

#5952473 - 07/17/17 08:58 AM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: WadeRyan]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
Missouri river banks are covered with coal shale in many places!

Jerry Herbst

#5952573 - 07/17/17 11:17 AM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: WadeRyan]
jk Offline
trapper

Loc: Williamsport, Pa.
Here in Pa where I trap there are coal seems coming to the surface in many locations, is that the same stuff? We have a lot of it once I start thinking about it......jk

#5952645 - 07/17/17 12:45 PM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: WadeRyan]
Matt(rat killer) Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana Linton-Greene County
Would coal soil be the same thing as the stuff they call gob? The stuff rinsed off of coal and pumped into settling ponds. It's like a powder when it dries...,Same stuff or no?

#5952970 - 07/17/17 07:23 PM Re: Coal Soil? [Re: WadeRyan]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

No its like a dry powdery shale, the weathered top few inches are what I like best. The stuff under it is darker, and looks more oily like, sometimes