No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5951860 - 07/16/17 01:47 PM REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car.
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper

Loc: Ky
Wow .How stupid is joe public.
Never mind he did elect Obummer

In addition to the analysis below, we are subsidizing each electric vehicle sold through our tax dollars. Many electric utilities are attempting to including the cost of building charging stations into their rate structure so we pay for building the stations. We should ask every owner of an electric/hybrid vehicle “how many days this year do I get to drive your car since I paid for part of it?”

THIS IS VERY, VERY INTERESTING.
Still want an electric vehicle ???
If you want to argue with a “green” person over cars that are eco-friendly, just read the below:
Note: However, if you ARE the green person, read it anyway. Enlightening.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors...and he writes...

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine. Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity. I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000... So the American Government wants proud and loyal Americans not to do the math, but simply pay 3 times as much for a car, that costs more than 7 times as much to run, and takes 3 times longer to drive across the country...

Still wonder why Trump won?

Where do I sign?

#5951946 - 07/16/17 03:23 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
Kyt Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky
Your rate per KWH must be wrong. Ky. has some of the cheapest electricity in the country I hear. My rate per kilowatt hour is 10 cents. 10 hours times 10 cents is 1 dollar. Now how is the cost comparison?
I don't know much about the dynamics of charging one of those batteries, but I'm wondering if it even takes that much power to bring them to full charge anyway. Usually the charge tapers off as it gets closer to full charge.
An electric car is not for every application. But if I could drive to work and back 40 miles round trip and not pay ANYTHING for gas-- I would be one of those members of the subsidized stupid public.

#5951949 - 07/16/17 03:27 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
Computer Hater Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
I think that what you are paying for a kwh of electric is too high. Unless I'm missing something a kwh costs around .08 to .15 around here.

#5951964 - 07/16/17 03:45 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Loc: South metro, MN
And then what do you do with that car when it's junk? Toss the battery in a hazardous waste facility?

Hows that for green?

My new Focus cost $16k out the door (last years model). And runs all summer long at 40mpg. Abit less in the winter. And at a whopping $2.16 per gallon these days. I don't get the electro buggy hype.

Edited by Calvin (07/16/17 03:48 PM)

#5951987 - 07/16/17 04:07 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
addictedangler Offline
trapper

Loc: cumberland co, Pa
So what will you think of your Focus when gas goes to $5.00 a gallon? Or perhaps a war breaks out and it goes to $30.00 a gallon. Then sometime in the future run out of gas? I have no need for a electric car however I will not belittle someone and give false facts towards them. No I am not green but not stupid either! They currently recycle most batteries.

#5951994 - 07/16/17 04:18 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
I doubt very much those electric cars will go out in the woods either.No thanks.
2 otter
1 bobcat

#5951998 - 07/16/17 04:26 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
addictedangler Offline
trapper

I just checked the price of a 2017 Volt online.Perhaps you were looking at the Trump dealership price at $47,00.00. The listed price to a buyer would be $26,595.00. Also the total miles driven on gas and electric was 420 as per tested.You posted the bogus report Fox news put out. You can go online to see what the facts are and his ( Erics) report beside it. After reading your post I can completely understand why Trump won the election!

Edited by addictedangler (07/16/17 04:30 PM)

#5952008 - 07/16/17 04:53 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
jabNE Offline
trapper

Loc: Hickman, Nebraska
But then again the first PCs were pieces of crap compared to what we have today.
So...what if the tech behind electric cars gets really awesome someday? Maybe that would be a really cool thing.
Jim

Edited by jabNE (07/16/17 04:53 PM)

#5952047 - 07/16/17 06:05 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
Drifter Offline

Loc: Oakland, MS
They may well pan out in the future but I see a lot not being taken into account. Battery life and replacement costs is one area. $5 K for a battery PLUS has to be put in by a dealership. I haven't read up enough to know about the longevity of them or the actual maintenance is on them. I will say at present I will be passing on one.

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .

#5952049 - 07/16/17 06:10 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper

Loc: Wheaton Ks
My wife bought a new Hundae hybred. Neat technology, dang thing had a spot reserved for it at the dealership. After fighting one problem after another, we said enough. Went back the a turbo chevy, and while it ain't got quite all the bells and whistles, it has only been in the shop to get the oil changed and a sun roof problem. So much for the electric cars in this houshold, it'll be a long time till I try another!

Now officially an old fart
http://www.lptraplinesupply.com

#5952058 - 07/16/17 06:23 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: Kyt]
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Kyt
Your rate per KWH must be wrong. Ky. has some of the cheapest electricity in the country I hear. My rate per kilowatt hour is 10 cents. 10 hours times 10 cents is 1 dollar. Now how is the cost comparison?
I don't know much about the dynamics of charging one of those batteries, but I'm wondering if it even takes that much power to bring them to full charge anyway. Usually the charge tapers off as it gets closer to full charge.
An electric car is not for every application. But if I could drive to work and back 40 miles round trip and not pay ANYTHING for gas-- I would be one of those members of the subsidized stupid public.

OK if you want to pick apart the numbers DROP the price of gas to 1.94 a gal which is what it is now. SO the gas powered car is even cheaper.
Plus if you look it up it takes more KW usage then what is stored in charging a batt.

PLUS look up how long the electric car has to be driven to make LESS impact on the environment. The battery material is deadly and NOTHING grows around the areas that it is produced... ACCORDING to the experts that hybrid has to last 75 years to have less impact, (producing and replacing all the batteries) than the same vehicle in gas only.

#5952062 - 07/16/17 06:29 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: addictedangler]
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: addictedangler
So what will you think of your Focus when gas goes to $5.00 a gallon? Or perhaps a war breaks out and it goes to $30.00 a gallon. Then sometime in the future run out of gas? I have no need for a electric car however I will not belittle someone and give false facts towards them. No I am not green but not stupid either! They currently recycle most batteries.

HA HA recycle that battery? Really. As for running out of gas I bet you don't live to see it. Plus if gas goes to 30 a gallon what do you think electric will cost.

#5952067 - 07/16/17 06:32 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
jv220 Offline
trapper

Loc: sw iowa
According to the EIA ... The US energy information administration only 15% of the electricity in the U S comes from a renewable source. 20% from nuclear . The rest and majority is coming from fossil fuels. Not really sure how being able to possibly drive 50 miles a day without gas is really going to change anything . ... If you have to come home and more than likely plug it in to electricity generated by fossil fuel to charge it.... Also need to take into account how much and what kind of energy was expended to make the battery... And also how much energy it will take to refurbish the battery once it is spent......another thing if there were millions of these cars driven daily to work.....what's going to happen when every comes home from work and plugs them in...looks like to me this technology is a long ways from actually making a difference in any way.... Unless it warms your little liberal heart....
Jefferson

#5952071 - 07/16/17 06:37 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: addictedangler]
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper

I just checked the price of a 2017 Volt online.Perhaps you were looking at the Trump dealership price at $47,00.00. The listed price to a buyer would be $26,595.00. Also the total miles driven on gas and electric was 420 as per tested.You posted the bogus report Fox news put out. You can go online to see what the facts are and his ( Erics) report beside it. After reading your post I can completely understand why Trump won the election!

I think YOU need to do some research !! Just went to Chevy website STARTING price on the volt is 34,094 BUCKS !!!! Add power windows and updated interior and you are PUSHING 40,000. That is not the LTZ version.
OK WAIT FOR IT !!!!! Look under the price tag it says (after federal rebate) there is a different price. WHOA !!! Who pays for that Federal subsidy !!!!!!!!

Not so much fake news now ...........

1.95 gal gas looking better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car

#5952073 - 07/16/17 06:38 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper

Oh yea forgot taxes and license and destination charges = over 44,000
Also I believe they put a bigger gas tank on them than when they first came out...

Not to mention how many caught fire and burnt the owners house down. More and more you hear about batteries exploding while charging in ALL devices.

Exactly what is the cost if the hybrid burns down the house LOL......................

Edited by jbyrd63 (07/16/17 06:49 PM)

#5952081 - 07/16/17 06:51 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
addictedangler Offline
trapper

Sorry but you did not check with the rebate you receive. That is list price. You need more info then your alternative news JB so yes that was a bogus report. Perhaps you need to check things out before posting from Unfair and Unbalanced. They lied about 75% of what was stated. I just checked the GM specks on the batteries. It appears they is no charge for any battery problem for 100,000 miles and I think 8 years. Sounds like a good deal for a warranty! Also replacement GM batteries start at $3,400.00. This price has been dropping as much as 35 percent a year for the last few years. Power windows and Bla, Bla, Bla. I guess you need some one to help drive it also? Give us a break!

#5952086 - 07/16/17 07:00 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper

Just showing YOU what the list price is . Find one that is a rebuilt wrecked and you may get it for 15,000. But I should have known you would say CHEVY's List price would be false news if it didn't say what you wanted to hear....

LOL.......

Edited by jbyrd63 (07/16/17 07:01 PM)

#5952087 - 07/16/17 07:01 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
They may pan out in the future. Nothing new is ever what it will be ten years down the road. Have to build and drive a few before improvements will be made.

The problem I have is government subsidies. There won't be a need for subsidies when electric cars become feasible. The development would happen without subsidies.

#5952090 - 07/16/17 07:03 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: addictedangler]
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper

Sorry but you did not check with the rebate you receive. That is list price. You need more info then your alternative news JB so yes that was a bogus report. Perhaps you need to check things out before posting from Unfair and Unbalanced. They lied about 75% of what was stated. I just checked the GM specks on the batteries. It appears they is no charge for any battery problem for 100,000 miles and I think 8 years. Sounds like a good deal for a warranty! Also replacement GM batteries start at $3,400.00. This price has been dropping as much as 35 percent a year for the last few years. Power windows and Bla, Bla, Bla. I guess you need some one to help drive it also? Give us a break!

I did check with the rebate . That was one of my points. THE REBATE is a FEDERAL subsidy. That is one aspect of the original story.....

#5952091 - 07/16/17 07:04 PM Re: REAL cost of an ELECTRIC car. [Re: jbyrd63]
goatman Offline
trapper

Loc: IL
Not sure what Chevy is saying that their Volt battery stores 16 kwh. Kwh(kilowatt hour) is a form of metering AC electricity. 1 kwh= 1000 watts per hour. An average home may use 1000 to 2000 kwh per month. Besides the cost per kwh taxes,facility charge,and time of day charges could be added.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >