No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5951865 - 07/16/17 01:51 PM Hay bale questions
Ark Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: GRAVETTE ARK
Anyone know how to adjust the weight on a a small massey ferguson square baler? It has the double tensioner springs, I loosneed the springs but that seemed to make the bales heavier. They are about 35" long and weigh 83 to 85 pounds now. What is the normal weight and length?

#5951871 - 07/16/17 01:57 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
Gary Benson Offline
trapper

Loc: Sandhills Nebraska
Let the hay dry more????

#5951880 - 07/16/17 02:04 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper

Loc: Ky
Tighten them to make then smaller. I was always told.

Plus let it dry out more

#5951883 - 07/16/17 02:08 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
nvwrangler Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevada
All the 2 string bales out west average 80 to 90 lbs but those ive delt with back east about 50 to 60 lbs. Mostly freeman balers out here tho. Hard to find little bales anymore and most are 120 lbs 3 string bales.

#5951888 - 07/16/17 02:11 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
amspoker Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Ohio
On our New Holland, loosening the springs lets the haymove through faster, making the bales lighter. Less hay per bale. We have to do several cranks to make a difference, and compare it after you have made a few bales.

Edited by amspoker (07/16/17 03:36 PM)
Edit Reason: cant type

#5951891 - 07/16/17 02:16 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
Ark Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: GRAVETTE ARK
I let it dry a week in 90 heat. I think your right about tighten it down to lighten the bale. If was the same field I tried to adjust the bale weight and apperently I went the went the wrong way lol. The heavier bales were baled 2 days after the first ones.

#5951953 - 07/16/17 03:35 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
Three foot long and weighing 80 plus lbs. there must be water dripping out of those bales or nearly so. Are these from ejector balers or kick balers or standard small square balers? Most bales are about 40-55 lbs. Without acid you want to bale smaller squares at about 16-18% moisture, rounds a bit more and big squares the same or lower if possible. Always an issue to try and save leaves and get hay dry enough to bale.

Bryce

#5952050 - 07/16/17 06:11 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Frazee, MN
We bale on a new holland baler. Our bales are around 36" long and around 40 - 50lbs. Strings are nice and tight.

#5952125 - 07/16/17 07:32 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
Wallace Offline
trapper

Loc: Batesville, AR
Pretty sure you loosen the springs to lighten the bales. I was always happy if the old JD baler we had worked at all.

You must have abunch of johnson grass if you had to let it cure a week.

Edited by Wallace (07/16/17 07:32 PM)

#5952229 - 07/16/17 09:17 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC

#5952268 - 07/16/17 09:50 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
Flipper Offline
trapper

Loc: sw minn.
You adjust th length of the bale to lighten the weight. Should be a trip lever that u adjust on the cute close to the knotter

#5952319 - 07/16/17 10:52 PM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
Lockjaw52 Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah
Ark Trapper, I baled a lot of hay with my old Massey baler before wearing it completely out. I hauled my hay with a bale wagon so the length had to stay consistent at about 36". To get a 75-80# bale I would have the tension maxed out on the tensioner springs and would need to bale in the early mornings to take advantage of the dew. My hay was straight alfalfa so it had to be dry to avoid spoiling but a little morning dew would allow me to make a nice tight bale that was easy to pickup, haul and stack with my bale wagon.

#5952346 - 07/17/17 01:02 AM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Ark Trapper, to make a lighter bale you have to loosen the springs. The less tension you have on the springs the easier it is to push the bales through the bale chamber.

If you have already loosened the springs and the bales keep getting heavier then I suspect what you have going on is what is referred to as "spontaneous compaction". When you get the bale chamber full of hard packed hay it takes tremendous pressure to push that hard packed hay through the chamber. Consequently you can loosen the springs completely off or even remove them completely and your bales will continue to get heavier and heavier until you will eventually break a drive chain or some other part such as a gear in the gear box that drives the bale plunger.

If this is what is happening in your case, then you need to clean all the hard packed hay out of the bale chamber and start over with an empty baler. I have only encountered this situation a couple of times over the years, and it is usually a result of trying to bale when the hay is not fully dried yet. But do clean the hay out of the chamber and start over before you break something.

#5952518 - 07/17/17 10:12 AM Re: Hay bale questions [Re: Ark Trapper]
bfflobo Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon 66
There are waffle plates on the inside of the chamber and also some wedges. No adjustment on them. As they wear out you need more spring tension.New ones, less tension. Need to have all the hay out of the chamber to get at them.
Like was said above, less tension = lighter, looser bales.
If the baler hasn't been used for a while, sometimes the hay left in the chamber will draw moisture and rust the sides, or if it was parked out side and allowed to get rusty, this will cause the hay to not slide on through easily making heavy tight bales. As it is used and the rust gets polished out, the bales will lighten up and more spring pressure will need to be added.
Dry hay slides through easy so will require more tension. As the moisture content increases, less tension to make the same weight bale.
Length of bale is adjusted on the trip arm next to the knotter.