No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5951881 - 07/16/17 02:05 PM Bluegill/Rockbass/Trout preperation question
snowy Offline
trapper

Loc: MT
How do most go about clean these small pan fish? I have been catching my breakfast and I have been just scaling/gutting and cutting head off and clean them well before I throw them in the pan. I leave the fins on. It seems to be fine is there a better way? Only takes about 30 seconds to do a fish.

Edited by snowy (07/16/17 02:07 PM)

#5951885 - 07/16/17 02:09 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
KeithC Offline
trapper

Loc: Champaign County, Ohio.
If you catch a lot, just fillet them. You get more meat, if you do them the way you are, but fillets are more pleasant to eat.

Keith

#5951904 - 07/16/17 02:37 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
panhandler .com works great I have had them for years

#5951934 - 07/16/17 03:09 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
J.Morse Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Michigan
Snowy, I have eaten around 3-4 gazillion of those type panfish in my lifetime. When I was a kid my mother always cooked them like that. I did, and still do, love them fried that way. My mother wouldn't toss back a bluegill/sunfish, etc. if she thought there was enough meat on their bones to make them a "one biter" or "two biter". I have been known to keep a limit (25) of fish where the largest bluegill was under 8 inches.....I'm kinda like me Mudder I guess. I figure if I'm cleaning fish, I my as well clean a bunch! I admit that today I am much more likely to fillet even those "one biters", rather than do the scale/gut/behead method, but that is mostly because I'm the only one in the family now that doesn't mind bone picking. To this day I enjoy crunching down a nice crispy tail-fin as the first step in reducing a fried bluegill to a pile of greasy bones on the edge of my plate.

Edited by J.Morse (07/16/17 03:10 PM)

#5951940 - 07/16/17 03:15 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
fossil2 Offline
trapper

Loc: minn
best of both worlds, scale them and then fillet and remove the bones. still have that good crispy skin w/o bone picking that way. same with smaller walleyes.

#5951944 - 07/16/17 03:21 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
J.Morse Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Michigan
As P.S. to my above post.....trout of pan frying size are simply gutted. It is against the law to cut off a frying trout's head!!! OK, maybe not really, but it should be if they aren't big enough to fillet, which means I just gut 99.9% of the trout I catch because I rarely Steedhaed fish any more, mostly I culvert-hop for Brookies in small streams.

#5951954 - 07/16/17 03:37 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
Nessmuck Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hampshire
White perch get filleted off the fish ...then filleted again just under the skin....Trout get gutted and gills removed..head left on...some old bay seasoning..lemon slices in the cavity...wrapped in tin foil...on the grill for 8 min per side

#5951955 - 07/16/17 03:37 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: J.Morse]
snowy Offline
trapper

Loc: MT
Originally Posted By: J.Morse
Snowy, I have eaten around 3-4 gazillion of those type panfish in my lifetime. When I was a kid my mother always cooked them like that. I did, and still do, love them fried that way. My mother wouldn't toss back a bluegill/sunfish, etc. if she thought there was enough meat on their bones to make them a "one biter" or "two biter". I have been known to keep a limit (25) of fish where the largest bluegill was under 8 inches.....I'm kinda like me Mudder I guess. I figure if I'm cleaning fish, I my as well clean a bunch! I admit that today I am much more likely to fillet even those "one biters", rather than do the scale/gut/behead method, but that is mostly because I'm the only one in the family now that doesn't mind bone picking. To this day I enjoy crunching down a nice crispy tail-fin as the first step in reducing a fried bluegill to a pile of greasy bones on the edge of my plate.

Yep that was the way it was done back then and I never really learned a different way. Larger fish another story you fillet them of course. I never use oil or grease just water and spices etc.

#5951959 - 07/16/17 03:41 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
taser Offline
trapper

Loc: ontario canada
Trout-fillet skin on........everything else fillet skin off.

#5951963 - 07/16/17 03:45 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio
don't forget the cheeks on the big walleye

#5951965 - 07/16/17 03:46 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
Pressure9pa Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Indiana
Anyone play around with small fish and a meat grinder? I've read about it, but never tried it. Obviously you would still gut, scale and behead, but you wouldn't have to worry about the bones.

#5951967 - 07/16/17 03:47 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: KeithC]
~ADC~ Offline
The Count

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: KeithC
If you catch a lot, just fillet them. You get more meat, if you do them the way you are, but fillets are more pleasant to eat.

Keith

I agree here. Catch more and fillet them.

ADC's Skinning Machines & ADC's Baits <-- click here

#5951981 - 07/16/17 04:03 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
KeithC Offline
trapper

Loc: Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted By: snowy

Yep that was the way it was done back then and I never really learned a different way. Larger fish another story you fillet them of course. I never use oil or grease just water and spices etc.

Larger fish, like bass, scaled, gutted and headed, are really good grilled whole. Just cut slits in the thick parts, of the body, so they grill quicker.

Keith

#5951984 - 07/16/17 04:06 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: ~ADC~]
swift4me Offline
trapper

Loc: American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
No need to filet trout unless they are huge. No need to scale them either. Just gut them and dredge them in a bit of corn meal and flour and fry them. The meat comes off easily from the first side then just lift out the backbone and ribs from the other half on your plate.

As for the bluegill and bass, all good advice above.

Pete

#5951985 - 07/16/17 04:06 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: Pressure9pa]
Harp Online   content
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Pressure9pa
Anyone play around with small fish and a meat grinder? I've read about it, but never tried it. Obviously you would still gut, scale and behead, but you wouldn't have to worry about the bones.

Yep and make fish patties. I've had a few in my younger days. There was an older lady when I grew up that we would give fish to. She told us to keep all the bluegill we could catch and she would take them. She would grind up everything once scaled beheaded and gutted. On the bigger ones she cut off tail and fins. Put on sliced bread or just eat them out of the pan.

Edited by Harp (07/16/17 04:08 PM)

#5951996 - 07/16/17 04:22 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: J.Morse]
Tweed Online   shocked
trapper

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
As P.S. to my above post.....trout of pan frying size are simply gutted. It is against the law to cut off a frying trout's head!!! OK, maybe not really, but it should be if they aren't big enough to fillet, which means I just gut 99.9% of the trout I catch because I rarely Steedhaed fish any more, mostly I culvert-hop for Brookies in small streams.

+1 on that.
I used to work 3rd shift and sometimes would get off early I'd fish the quarry and get a few small trouts for breakfast. Gut them, rinse, drop in milk then role in corn meal and oan fry with some onions and hash browns for breakfast.

#5952126 - 07/16/17 07:32 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
Scout1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Western N. Carolina
The skin is the best thing on fried trout. Filleting trout is easy after cooking. Grilled a few trout today, and after grilling and deboning I wondered about making patties out of the meat. Anyone have any trout/salmon pattie recipes and directions.
When younger I gutted, scaled, and deheaded lots of bream. Bream one of my favorite fish to eat.

#5952235 - 07/16/17 09:29 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
hrdtoflw Offline
trapper

Loc: Warren co Mo
I will always remember eating fish as a kid. It was mostly whole, pan fried catfish that mom would cook. Now I fillet most fish, but every now and then, I scale a few and fry them whole. W/o the head and guts! Lol.
I can eat fish just about any way possible, except for raw.

#5952256 - 07/16/17 09:44 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
BillyTraps Offline
trapper

Loc: eastern washington
pan size trout, clean and wrap with bacon, when the bacon is done the trout is done

#5952332 - 07/16/17 11:39 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
52Carl Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
To me, the smaller bluegills scaled, gutted, beheaded, fried taste better than large ones filleted (even with the skin on).
As far as bones go, I don't now what the problem is. The bones all stay together when you pull the meat off with your fork.
Bluegills over 10 inches do not fry up as well unless filleted. Watch out for the short pointy bones along the midline on big bluegills. I usually slice those out of the fillets. Easy enough to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >