No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5952337 - 07/17/17 12:21 AM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
BadgerTrapper97 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fort Bliss
For me larger bluegills and bass get filleted, all trout gutted and head removed

#5952341 - 07/17/17 12:44 AM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: BadgerTrapper97]
swift4me Offline
trapper

Loc: American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
Scout1...

I've made salmon patties for years. Just take your flaked meat,(enough for four patties), add one beaten egg, some bread crumbs (not too many), salt pepper and chopped green onions. Then fry them until they brown up.

Pete

#5952344 - 07/17/17 12:53 AM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: swift4me]
Scout1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Western N. Carolina
Originally Posted By: swift4me
Scout1...

I've made salmon patties for years. Just take your flaked meat,(enough for four patties), add one beaten egg, some bread crumbs (not too many), salt pepper and chopped green onions. Then fry them until they brown up.

Pete

Thank you, I will try that!

#5952997 - 07/17/17 08:22 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: Harp]
Pressure9pa Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Indiana
Originally Posted By: Harp
Originally Posted By: Pressure9pa
Anyone play around with small fish and a meat grinder? I've read about it, but never tried it. Obviously you would still gut, scale and behead, but you wouldn't have to worry about the bones.

Yep and make fish patties. I've had a few in my younger days. There was an older lady when I grew up that we would give fish to. She told us to keep all the bluegill we could catch and she would take them. She would grind up everything once scaled beheaded and gutted. On the bigger ones she cut off tail and fins. Put on sliced bread or just eat them out of the pan.

Thanks. I'll have to try this next time I fish with the kids.

#5953167 - 07/17/17 11:59 PM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
Hillbilly910 Offline
trapper

Loc: Franklin county, Indiana
We always cut the fins off, but ate bushels of bluegills that way.
Man that tail is a delicacy, a heavenly tater chip...
I fillet most fish now for ease. I can fillet one faster than scaling and gutting, but always eat a couple batches whole, mainly just for the tail

Edited by Hillbilly910 (07/18/17 12:00 AM)

#5957342 - 07/23/17 12:18 AM Re: Bluegill/Rockbass preperation question [Re: snowy]
TDHP Offline
trapper

Loc: Massachusetts
We like to fillet panfish. The kids catch a bunch and there's no shortage. The fillets are small but worth every minute when fried in a little peanut oil. Pretty quick, four cuts and you're done. You can remove the lateral line if you want but it isn't necessary if you're going to fry them.

Edited by TDHP (07/23/17 12:23 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2