No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5952307 - 07/16/17 10:26 PM Fall bear hunt Montana. Help!
cornhuskerman Offline
trapper

Loc: valentine, NE
Trying to plan a fall bear hunt to western Montana was hoping some of you guys have maybe been out there or are from there ! Looking for best units and locations and any other tips available . Looking at taking the trip in September

#5952363 - 07/17/17 05:45 AM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
Osky Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
I would favor the Idaho side of the border. Lolo pass area, Clearwater drainage basin.

Osky

www.SureDockusa.com

#5952369 - 07/17/17 06:07 AM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
cornhuskerman Offline
trapper

Thanks do you know is there a lot of clear cut cuts or old logging roads to hunt there ?

#5952468 - 07/17/17 08:46 AM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
red mt Offline
trapper

Loc: montana
Make sure you have taken your grizzly ID test before come or you will wait 5days after you take it before you can buy a licence

#5952480 - 07/17/17 09:09 AM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"

Loc: Montana ,Rocky mtns.
Depending where you're planning on going, it may be frustrating unless you have some help from a local.

Western MT is talking about a vast area from north to south boundaries. The rules change greatly from north to south.

In any area where there are grizzly populations, baiting and running blacks with dogs is prohibited. Which puts a huge kink in hunting them. Unless someone can be on a definite circuit of a large black, or has apple trees that are an attractant on private land in fall, the chances aren't as dependable as in other areas where baiting and dog running are allowed.

Of course spot and stalk can and does wield success , its just iffy way more often.

Osky has a good point, though N. Idaho has the same restrictions as NW MT. for the same reasons.

There are fantastic blacks of size all in the areas of both states, in every colour phase except the Glacier blue. Its just frustrating in the areas where there are griz and all the restrictions.

Look up some outfitters online in the area you plan to go, get an idea of the area, habitat, their success , maybe contact them for questions on self guided hunts- if thats what you're planning, and go from there.

One thing is certain.

Do not go alone. Just don't.

Especially if you are in griz areas.

Be sufficiently armed and prepared.

#5952495 - 07/17/17 09:41 AM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
caldwellite Offline
trapper

Loc: caldwell id
Idaho. Buy the 2nd bear tag. Units 16a and 20 Lots of clear cuts and logging roads. Also look up Magruder road. Red River Ranger District, 208 842 2245, Idaho Fish and Game Clearwater 208 799 5010. Your welcome, just don't move hear,we already get all the Alaska and California rejects.

#5952542 - 07/17/17 10:36 AM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
Allan Minear Offline
trapper

Loc: Lewistown , Mt
It may not matter which state you decide to hunt in if we don't get some rain who knows what may happen. There are quite a few wildfires in Montana now.
Allan

#5952597 - 07/17/17 11:50 AM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
cornhuskerman Offline
trapper

Thanks guys spot and stalk is definitely how we are going to have to go in your guys opinion which seasons provide the best results spring or fall? I know most people like the spring because they hunt elk and deer in the fall

#5952601 - 07/17/17 11:57 AM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
September is going to be early if you are wanting a pelt that will make a nice rug. September bears are still rather hairy and thinly furred.

An early spring bear will have the best fur.

#5952605 - 07/17/17 12:03 PM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
cornhuskerman Offline
trapper

Any bear would be a trophy for me I'm not too picky it's just this fall will finally work for us to get away

#5952634 - 07/17/17 12:33 PM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
K Slim Offline
trapper

Loc: PA.
I hunted bear in the spring a couple of years ago in north western Montana , my buddy lives about 5 miles from Glacier National Park, I hunted by myself, spot and stalk , I mainly hunted Bob Marshal wilderness area , tons of public land to hunt , I saw a lot of bear and 5 grizzlys before I finally shot a black bear I was looking for , saw a lot of elk , mule deer and moose I would highly recommend this area, its awesome country . It was hard coming back to Pa.after being there and seeing that country first hand! Good luck !

Edited by K Slim (07/17/17 12:37 PM)

#5952957 - 07/17/17 07:09 PM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
cornhuskerman Offline
trapper

How big of a bear did you tag?

#5953078 - 07/17/17 09:45 PM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper

Loc: North Idaho, USA
State probably doesn't matter. Find an old clear cut or burn and start glassing. You want to find huckleberries,elderberries or montain ash (in bad berry years). Try to put a ridge between you and the road. Right now it looks like a good berry year but it is starting to get dry

Edited by SundanceMtnMan (07/17/17 09:48 PM)
Edit Reason: Mispelling

#5953080 - 07/17/17 09:50 PM Re: Fall bear hunt Montana. Help! [Re: cornhuskerman]
Osky Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
Spring. Hides are better. Hunt hi up in the newly green meadows. Mid May to mid June.
As for size mountain blacks do not get as large as flat land blacks generally.

Osky

www.SureDockusa.com