Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5946665 - 07/09/17 01:48 PM Best -most reliable snow machine ?
ol mike Offline
trapper

Loc: Okaloosa County -Panhandle ,FL...
What say you wilderness people ?
Reliable , good fuel economy for extended range ?
Not worried about fast - just powerful enough to run up hills without getting stuck.

Thinking of moving back to Idaho , northern part so pretty steep etc. ?

Also what about 4-wheelers with the tracks on them , how do they go in winter snow etc. ?
Thinking it would be a multi-purpose machine for year round but probably for packed snow roads only ?
OK well thanks for any opinions . -Mike

#5947092 - 07/09/17 11:32 PM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
Rio Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
I run an atv with tracks in western Montana. very reliable and I can use the machine all summer. I can get a lot of gear on it. Hard on the arms in some snow conditions. Meaning it is a workout in heavy wet snow. But I can run on dirt asphalt or snow. The snowmobile is way better for speed and long distance rides and I would like a small sled some days to slide around gates. Hope this helps.

#5947357 - 07/10/17 11:04 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
ol mike Offline
trapper

ATV track -is it good in deep snow ?
Does it ride on top easily ?

What do you mean by snowmobile 'slide around gates' ? confused

#5947505 - 07/10/17 01:27 PM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
Rio Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
Never found any depth of snow that was a problem. Deep powder is where it shines. The lion hunters in my area run some tundras and they can get around the gates. My machine is to wide and heavy. Your looking at 58" wide on my atv.

#5947883 - 07/10/17 09:16 PM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
ol mike Offline
trapper

Thanks ...

#5948729 - 07/11/17 10:46 PM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
I would forget the ATV unless you are going to stay on the roads. Get a good snowmachine and you will get farther with less hassle. The narrower snowmachine will go where the ATV will not. You will definitely want a long track machine regardless of the make and model you choose. You won't need a race machine but you will want some horsepower because of the terrain and the altitude.

#5950081 - 07/14/17 03:24 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
Caribou Offline
trapper

Loc: AK, Northwest Arctic Borough
I put 9-12,000+ each winter on my snowgo's.One notable winter working for a reindeer herder Doug Sheldon, I put 13,300 miles and didnt buy a drop of gas or oil that winter laugh

The Awe in Awesome was Polaris before 2006. Even then, the Liberty's were touchy, but the "Ride" was on an excellent undercarriage, before that on a lower swing undercarriage, the Fuji engines were so reliable people sang songs about them. They went 20,000 miles(engine wize) before a rebuild or breakdown, but today's gadget ridden sensor'd up POS's need you to take along a clutch puller to get the engine out......some thing we used to be able to do out inthe middle of anywhere, and not carry 20 extra special kiss kiss tools along.

Although I have one, a 2014 Voyager 600 , due to the brass drive on the crank for the coolent/oil flow going out in 3-4,000 miles before the rebuild is needed......So, I CANNOT endorse Polaris.

Edited by Caribou (07/14/17 03:34 AM)

#5950277 - 07/14/17 09:49 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: Caribou]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Caribou
I put 9-12,000+ each winter on my snowgo's.One notable winter working for a reindeer herder Doug Sheldon, I put 13,300 miles and didnt buy a drop of gas or oil that winter laugh

The Awe in Awesome was Polaris before 2006. Even then, the Liberty's were touchy, but the "Ride" was on an excellent undercarriage, before that on a lower swing undercarriage, the Fuji engines were so reliable people sang songs about them. They went 20,000 miles(engine wize) before a rebuild or breakdown, but today's gadget ridden sensor'd up POS's need you to take along a clutch puller to get the engine out......some thing we used to be able to do out inthe middle of anywhere, and not carry 20 extra special kiss kiss tools along.

Although I have one, a 2014 Voyager 600 , due to the brass drive on the crank for the coolent/oil flow going out in 3-4,000 miles before the rebuild is needed......So, I CANNOT endorse Polaris.

Chip,

On TV last night I watched your unique and interesting method of "cooling off overheated parts" by dropping your machine into 2 feet of overflow and then falling all the way through the bad ice when you tried to pull it out!

I'm not sure I would be willing to follow you too closely when travelling on Spring ice....!

Pete

#5950732 - 07/14/17 08:32 PM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
Caribou Offline
trapper

Loc: AK, Northwest Arctic Borough
That , Pete ,is another peeve I have with Polaris now;

With no tub and the engine lower in stance, the belt gets wet and slips SOOOOOO much easier. Half the battle you saw was just me keeping the front end up and trying to keep moving forward.Dows'd the belt and the ride ended....

My best rig ever was a black and red 2005 Polaris, 600RMK 144" w/16" of undercarriage swing, 8" in front, very rugged and repairable IFS front suspension and a "Tub" rather than panels.That ride was off the showroom and rode until I bought the ride I so vex with now in 2013. Maybe only the cowling and the tub/tunnel and gas tank were still original when I parked it last LOL!!I rebuilt the engine and re-bearing'd it every fall with my PFD laugh

I gotta look at Anchorage's Craigs list now........

Edited by Caribou (07/14/17 08:44 PM)

#5950885 - 07/15/17 03:37 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
AKscott Offline
trapper

Loc: north pole, AK
I have been beyond impressed with my old 02 Skandic 440. Never left me stranded and it's easy to work on, I keep telling my self I want a new one, but like Gus above have said there's so many sensors and electrical components to malfunction and leave you high and dry in the woods.

#5950895 - 07/15/17 04:55 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
ol mike Offline
trapper

Thank you all for the advice .
Anybody like the yamaha stuff ?

#5950973 - 07/15/17 07:46 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
My 2009 Yamaha VK has been great...when it starts. It doesn't start well in the cold. It floats decent for a heavy pig, has lots of power, but I can't side hill it when the throttle is on the downhill side. It's down sides are it's heavy, the seat gets warm and wet if it's over 15 degrees, and that under seat exhaust melts all the snow that touches it creating a continual waterfall on the track and undercarriage. Also, the nose cone will catch on stuff when backing up, and may get ripped off. And it's heavy. I've left home without a rope along and regretted it SOOOO bad. Good thing I had a jack.

#5951803 - 07/16/17 11:53 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: Aknative]
Alaska_Cajun Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
well I can see that everybody misspelled Arctic Cat in this thread... laugh

- Clint

#5951857 - 07/16/17 01:42 PM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
Team V Offline
trapper

Loc: North Pole ak
I run a m6 144 Arctic cat and have had little to know problems but have only put 2400 miles on it . I like the power the track the EFI and the suspension . In the steep and deep it shines and overflow no problem and gas mileage is not bad .

#5952336 - 07/17/17 12:19 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
ol mike Offline
trapper

Thanks for all the good info. folks !

#5952475 - 07/17/17 08:59 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: Alaska_Cajun]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Alaska_Cajun
well I can see that everybody misspelled Arctic Cat in this thread... laugh

- Clint

Am I the only one who understood this quip.....?!!!!!!!!

#5953474 - 07/18/17 11:48 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
Bushman Offline
trapper

Loc: Alberta
Arctic crap...well named

It's hard to go wrong with the inventor of the snowmobile" Bombardier." Their products have been under my butt since the early 70's. Unlike most families our first machine was an Olympic 340, not an Elan. I've probably owned 20 - 30 snow machines over the years. And now I drive their quads as well. They've done me well through thick and thin, every machine having it's pluses and minuses, but almost always getting me home. And I don't think there are many who use their snowmobiles like I do, with the exception of some of you folks.

I did use Yamaha for a couple years as they came out with a 340 T back in the 80's that had the first rack in the back and a decent track on it. Made specifically for bush work. And yes I've owned Bravo's, truth is they are a reliable, underpowered, machine. Great for flat land tundra but useless in the mountains.

For today's average snowmobile used it's hard to go wrong with a tundra or skandic.

#5954203 - 07/19/17 12:41 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
yukon254 Offline
trapper

Loc: Yukon
Yamaha Bravos were probably the most reliable sled ever built. Ive been running an Arctic Cat for a few years now......Wide track with the 570 fan.....bulletproof sled, would buy another in a heartbeat. I have owned my share of Bombardier sleds and they were good, but Im not a fan of the new complicated 4 strokes for the bush.

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com

#5956531 - 07/21/17 10:14 PM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: ol mike]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Anyone other than Pete recognize these two ?

#5956587 - 07/22/17 01:24 AM Re: Best -most reliable snow machine ? [Re: white17]
Yellow Moon Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: white17
Anyone recognize these two ?

My good friend Michael with his father Fabian Carey here at Lake Minchumina around 1948.

(Testing Editing)

Edited by Yellow Moon (07/22/17 08:51 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >