Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5959146 - 07/25/17 08:29 AM Hog snare set - would you do anything differently?
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Arkansas
Here is a pic of a snare I set last night. Would you do anything differently?

You can see mud rubs on both of the trees.

#5959166 - 07/25/17 09:01 AM Re: Hog snare set - would you do anything differently? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Newt Offline
trapper

Loc: Port Republic South Jersey
Bigger loop -Lower to the walking surface

www.snareone.com

#5959175 - 07/25/17 09:15 AM Re: Hog snare set - would you do anything differently? [Re: Newt]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Newt
Bigger loop -Lower to the walking surface

Thanks!

#5959182 - 07/25/17 09:27 AM Re: Hog snare set - would you do anything differently? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
I also would have just stapled my support wire to the tree. If I'm in trees, I bring a satchel of snares, a bundle of precut support wires, a pouch of fence/poultry staples, and a hammer. In trees, there is rarely a reason to carry support stakes. I go straight to the tree. It's one less thing to carry, and it's also one less unnatural thing (if that's how you look at it). Staple support, anchor snare around tree, set snare, done. You don't have to introduce something new, and you don't have to hope you don't hit roots. Simple. If you're going to snare here for the foreseeable future, rub trees are worth putting the permanent supports I mention, because they'll use the same trees for years. They'll be there next time you return.

Where supports come into the picture for me is when I'm in bogs and thickets that trees are spaced too far apart. Supports work there, but if there's a lot of tees, they aren't necessary.

One last thing: When setting rubs I want it to hug the tree tight. Picture a hog walking up and rubbing---he's going to literally be rubbing up against the tree. I put my snare on one side of the tree or the other, whichever way it appears they're walking --away from the mud hole.

Good luck, keep us updated

#5959305 - 07/25/17 11:58 AM Re: Hog snare set - would you do anything differently? [Re: ozarkhunter]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
Support stakes are quicker for me then stapling to the tree.

#5959430 - 07/25/17 02:48 PM Re: Hog snare set - would you do anything differently? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Davexx1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Winter Springs, Florida
I usually use a longer snare and tie it off/anchor higher on the tree. The idea is that when they hit the end of the slack in the snare cable, it pulls their front end up and/or off the ground and reduces the shock load on the snare and connections. Anchoring to a smaller diameter tree (than pictured) that has some bend/spring to it can also help reduce the shock load from a big hard fighting hog. Using a short snare with an extension is another way of doing it and gives you a little extra length to reach a anchor tree.

I usually add some natural camo or pull some grass/weeds/palmetto frons over to somewhat hide/disguise the snare cable and lock but not so much to block off the opening. I have found that blending in neutral colored snares and hardware helps to prevent refusals.

Dave

Edited by Davexx1 (07/25/17 02:49 PM)

#5959733 - 07/25/17 08:23 PM Re: Hog snare set - would you do anything differently? [Re: ozarkhunter]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

I took the evening off to mow my yard and my parents' yard. My buddy sent me this picture. Seems this big boy was just "hanging around" on one of the snares I set last night. Not the one in the picture above, but using one of the stake/supports that I made last weekend. I'm stoked! THANKS FOR ALL OF THE INPUT SO FAR!!!

#5960007 - 07/26/17 08:38 AM Re: Hog snare set - would you do anything differently? [Re: ozarkhunter]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Good job.

You'll find that one of the most important things to keep in mind is that some things will work for you and your style and some things won't. Don't be afraid to try something new, but give it an honest evaluation--if it isn't working then fix it or change it. You'll do fine.

There's a time and a place for different tools and you'll figure all that out. We can help you some, but there's no substitute for lessons learned on your own lines.

I've been gearing up the last 2 weeks getting ready to send a few hogs to hades myself. Good luck, kill every hog you can!

#5960017 - 07/26/17 08:55 AM Re: Hog snare set - would you do anything differently? [Re: ozarkhunter]
ozarkhunter Offline
trapper

I greatly appreciate the insights gained here. My budget is limited right now, but hope to be able to buy the supplies to build my own snares in the future. I am working with some pre-made hog/wolf snares that I am getting at a price I almost couldn't build them for. That said, I am limited to the design of the snares. We do have a few 1/8" extensions, but hope to build my own with swivels in the future and have options of different extensions to anchor higher on some sets. We did use your suggestion of multiple snares in close proximity. We set 12-14 snares within about 50 yards of a bunch of whole ears of corn cut on a nearby field (left by harvesters). The snare that caught this one was within 6'-8' of another snare on the same trail. The snare support wires (attached with the fence staples) and the stake supports have definitely helped us square the snares with the trails much better.

My buddy found a new "run" that enters/exits a field of soybeans that are about "pocket" high. The pic he showed me is of a depression about 4'-6' wide where the ground does not have a 6" square of dirt/mud without a hog track in it. We watched a large sow with 6 choates in the 60 lb range leaving the field using this run. We will have to look it over for a way to set snares there. There were no trees in the picture. Sides of the run/drainage were about head high. Soil is sandy river bottom soil.

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie