Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5956114 - 07/21/17 12:28 PM Mink, water depth and other questions
dodgetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Blackstone Va.
I have been doing some pre-season work putting in mink tunnels and prepositioning rocks to make choked down blind sets. We are in a severe drought right now so some of this I am doing out of the water in anticipation for "normal" water levels to return.
Question
1 At what water depth will a mink swim over a foot hold and not be walking on the bottom?

2 If a tunnel is fully submerged will a foot hold set in front of the entrance still take mink? Or will the swim over it and a body grip a better option?

3 I have been considering running 5' of #2 chain and a 2-lb heavy aggressive drag to secure the mink sets this year instead of staking and downers.
(this will be my first time targeting where I currently livein the flatlands, the only other mink I have caught have been in the mountains) I honestly think we have more otter than mink in this area. Has anyone had any experience hooking into an otter in such a set up? Seems to me a good sized dog otter could make it a ways with a drag down a creek.

thanks in advance

Edited by dodgetrapper (07/21/17 12:30 PM)

#5956156 - 07/21/17 01:21 PM Re: Mink, water depth and other questions [Re: dodgetrapper]
FisherFinder Offline
trapper

Loc: Vermont
I can try and offer a few insights. I make no claim to be an expert, but this is how I do/see things.

1) I try to plan my hole so that the trap is barely covered in water. It doesn't have to be an exact science. Think of the guy who thinks he's drowning until he puts his feet down: a mink will swim until it bumps something and goes to plant its feet. As long as you have them swimming between the jaws and not over them, you're golden.

2) If I'm dealing with a set in a fully submerged pathway I'm setting a body grip. The only exception I do is a platform set sometimes. You can cover more of the pathway in two dimensions instead of just one.

3) I always fasten for the worst case scenario. I don't know about you, but I don't want to possibly spend a good chunk of my morning feeling around up and down stream in cold water trying to locate a drag and an otter that could be up on a bank somewhere. My biggest enemy on my trapline is time. In a clay creek, you could slip or sink in. In a rock creek, your drag might bounce into the next county. I'd set the drowner myself.

Hope this has been some help to you. Again, not an expert, just my two cents.

#5956172 - 07/21/17 01:41 PM Re: Mink, water depth and other questions [Re: dodgetrapper]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Michigan
Use body grips in tunnels that way it doesn't mater, they'll still enter even submerged or completely dry.

With Otter around drags are a no no unless you can prehook to a solid anchor point. I would use a drowner or stake solid in deep water. As fishfinder points out, you don't want to be wasting time looking for a missing animal. Time on the trapline is to valuable.

#5956385 - 07/21/17 06:49 PM Re: Mink, water depth and other questions [Re: dodgetrapper]
Bob LaRue Online   content
trapper

Loc: Eastern N.C.
I like them drag rigs in the swallow rocky streams. Always pretangle them. If your rig can't reach anything, no need to pass up a good set. Have some 6 & 12 foot extension cables. Better to have an 18 foot catch circle than to come up to your set & see drag marks.

#5956795 - 07/22/17 10:37 AM Re: Mink, water depth and other questions [Re: dodgetrapper]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
I go with the theory the mink will be two to three inches under the water. Buy Don Powell
DVD mink after mink on purpose. You want regret it

#5956837 - 07/22/17 11:08 AM Re: Mink, water depth and other questions [Re: dodgetrapper]
ambush32 Offline
trapper

Loc: Mi, Mecosta
This is what I did and no expert here but I learned it years ago from an old trapper...
I will use an example that I used a couple seasons ago, 1 main waterway running north and south which a main road splits the waterway , east and west drainage ditches running along the road for about 1 mile or so, both sides had amble water....
I went in prior to the season, used a tile shovel to make pocket holes in the bank where I figured mink would be traveling
Thru the water, I pulled grass around the holes just enough so the mink could see the hole and car traffic could not...
When seasoned opened I slammed in a bunch of conibears in front of the holes and draped the grass back over them,
no bait, didn't want to many coon....mink will investigate them as they are traveling thru the area....worked great for me...
And water level could go up or down and not effect the set....

#5956879 - 07/22/17 11:45 AM Re: Mink, water depth and other questions [Re: dodgetrapper]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Michigan
Good thinkin' that's the beauty of body grips..

#5957686 - 07/23/17 01:34 PM Re: Mink, water depth and other questions [Re: dodgetrapper]
addictedangler Offline
trapper

Loc: cumberland co, Pa
Two Traps is right on. Mink after Mink will answer most if not all your questions.

#5959378 - 07/25/17 01:41 PM Re: Mink, water depth and other questions [Re: dodgetrapper]
dodgetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Blackstone Va.
Thanks for the replies, I will have to figure how to anchor some of the top stakes on these rocky creek bottoms. I just like the speed of throwing a drag in the water but yal are right, if you spend 10-30 min looking for a critter you haven't saved any time at all.

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie