ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
OOS mole traps #5959234
07/25/17 11:24 AM
07/25/17 11:24 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
Got a couple job that the mole are digging under Steve's traps want to set a couple OOS traps.
How wide do you make the bridge/wall? Wider than the pan? Just have never had much luck with OOS traps. But I know they have been used for years!!

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: OOS mole traps [Re: Getting There] #5959254
07/25/17 11:48 AM
07/25/17 11:48 AM
East OK & West AR
Okiecntry Offline
trapper
Okiecntry  Offline
trapper

East OK & West AR
I'm far from the experienced expert that some on here are but my wall is usually 2-3" wide. A tip I picked up on here is to bend the pan down a little on the end. I believe this gives it some sideways action not just upwards action. I say I'm not an expert because I'm not in the business yet but have caught thirteen in my own yard this year with the OOS. Some of the guys on here have caught hundreds or thousands so they should have additional advice.

Re: OOS mole traps [Re: Getting There] #5959283
07/25/17 12:27 PM
07/25/17 12:27 PM
Missouri
Countryboydu Offline
trapper
Countryboydu  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Keep everything in tight quarters. The bridge can be slightly wider than the pan with no issues. Just try to avoid big voids on either side of the pan. Cut your trap hole as close to size as possible. I sift dirt once trap is bedded and after everything is complete, I press the area around trap slightly. Hope this helps.

Another idea I'm eager to try is putting a canned food lid between the. Ridge and pan. I can see how this might work well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Re: OOS mole traps [Re: Getting There] #5959377
07/25/17 02:36 PM
07/25/17 02:36 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If you are getting dig unders using the Albano traps you need to bed the front end of your traps "the jaw end" pushed down into the bottom of the tunnel better. You cant just set the trap in the tunnel or you will get this behavior a lot.

You need to bed mole traps just like using foothold traps for canines if you want consistent catches without digging under your traps.Many make this error and get a moles reaction of digging when they run into the tunnel obstruction.

I use a dandelion tool to push the front end of the trap down to below the soil grade just enough to prevent detection of the trap.

When you are bedding properly the back end of the trap where the push bar is located is a bit higher then the jaw end that extends into the tunnel.

You must get that front end down into the tunnel run bottom or you will get a lot of dig unders.

Re: OOS mole traps [Re: Getting There] #5959668
07/25/17 08:19 PM
07/25/17 08:19 PM
Arkansas
Jason Turner Offline
trapper
Jason Turner  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
Bob's advisement x2 on steves traps. The dandelion tool works super for bedding.

Wildlife Removal, Etc.
Re: OOS mole traps [Re: Getting There] #5959842
07/25/17 11:51 PM
07/25/17 11:51 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
Same goes for oos traps...they gotta be solid when they are placed on the mound...do not wiggle it in place when u set it in....always fire trap first then make mound and then push straight into tunnel on the mound...just hit mole #700 today for this year...all in oos

Re: OOS mole traps [Re: Getting There] #5959967
07/26/17 08:37 AM
07/26/17 08:37 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
Thanks guys, I think my problem has been with the oos is that I have been digging the hole to large.
With Steve's trap I maybe pushing the spring end of the trap down and raising to working end of the trap up when filling the hole back in. It seam like some times I am pushing the working in way down in the ground. We have soft soil in my area. I will start using my new tool on every set not just the small ones.
Thanks again.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: OOS mole traps [Re: Getting There] #5960170
07/26/17 01:48 PM
07/26/17 01:48 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
There is a good setting technique for both traps. You must keep the jaw end of Steves traps lower in the front where the mole enters the jaws or you will run into refusal problems. Just think about it,it is only logical. If a mole runs into any obstruction of sorts in its travel path its first reaction is to dig under in an attempt to avoid it. So keeping your jaws bedded lower than the rest of the trap is quite important.

I assure you this will stop the digging under if you pay attention to this little detail. Most are too sloppy with their technique in the beginning and run into lots of issues. All of my instruction students struggle with this in the beginning. They just don't understand the importance of this step. Of all the things that you do this is the most important besides selecting the most active runs.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread